Mobius

Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

SOUND OF MY VOICE
Jim Donahue
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 09:21 AM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 47

Anyone here see the recently released SOUND OF MY VOICE? It's about a cult leader who claims to be from the future. Reviews make it sound interesting--though there are complaints the ending doesn't work. (The ending of this sort of movie is almost always problematic.)

The trailer is here.

Co-star/co-writer Brit Marling also co-wrote and starred in last year's ANOTHER EARTH, another movie that sounded intriguing, but one that still I haven't caught up with. I certainly admire her ambition!

This post has been edited by Jim Donahue on Apr 30 2012, 10:56 AM
Yi Lee
Posted: May 2 2012, 08:11 AM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 71

Hey everybody,

I haven't seen this movie but its premise reminds me a lot of the real life pseudo-Christian cult Eastern Lightning operating in mainland China. Not much mainstream press coverage but here is some from over a decade ago:

A fast-spreading sect named Lightning from the East is alarming Christian communities across China by winning large numbers of converts to its unorthodox tenets, often by abducting potential believers. Its followers, who say they number 300,000 but whom observers measure in the tens of thousands, believe that Jesus has returned as a plain-looking, 30-year-old Chinese woman who lives in hiding and has never been photographed. They credit her with composing a third testament to the Bible, writing enough hymns to fill 10 CDs and teaching that Christians who join her will ascend to heaven in the coming apocalypse. They see signs of doom everywhere, from the perfidy of Communist Party propaganda to anthrax spores in the U.S. postal system. According to one of the group's Chinese leaders who uses the alias "Peter" and moved to New York City last year, "The judgment is ongoing in China and will expand through the world."

See: Matthew Forney, "Jesus is Back, and She's Chinese," _Time [Magazine] Asia [Edition]_, vol. 158: no. 18 (November 5, 2001), p. 42; on-line at: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,181681,00.html
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0550 seconds | Archive