Mobius

InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Hollywood actors in Hong Kong cinema, Trying to come up with a list...
Alex Ross
Posted: May 4 2012, 09:56 AM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 655

Ah yes, long time since I saw it, all I remembered from it really was the other Tony (and Morse). Was it set in Taiwan as well?
Yi Lee
Posted: May 4 2012, 11:24 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 71

Hey Alex (and everybody else),

Yes, the movie is set in Taipei and a little bit in Nangang--when big Tony and David Morse go visit the late Sihung Lung at Academia Sinica. Also, if you're a fan of Chinese character actor/occasional filmmaker Leon Dai--he's "the Magician" in "Reign of Assassins" (2010)--he's also in the pic as Tony's estranged captain at the precinct.
Patrick Lefcourt
Posted: May 19 2012, 08:35 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 788

Oliver Platt in the upcoming CHINESE ZODIAC: ARMOUR OF GOD III
Bob Cashill
Posted: May 19 2012, 04:21 PM

Mobian Rock Star

Member No.: 88

According to Wiki, Kenny G is also in this (plus NJ-born Cary Woodworth, the first non-Chinese actor to star in a mainland-produced movie).

--------------------
Yi Lee
Posted: May 19 2012, 05:24 PM

Mobian

Hey Bob (and everybody else),

This isn't from Wikipedia but I'm pretty sure there have been other non-Chinese to star in PRC-produced movies prior to 2006. The most notable example, off the top of my head, is Chinese actress Ning Jing's ex-husband, American actor Paul Kersey who co-starred with her in Feng Xiaoning's (no relation to Feng Xiaogang) "Red River Valley/Tale of the Sacred Mountain" (1997) and "Lovers' Grief over the Yellow River" (1999), which were the first two films of Xiaoning's so-called "War and Peace Trilogy." Reference image below:

user posted image
Who on this poster looks like their name could feasibly be called "Paul Kersey"? The poster is for "Red River Valley," BTW.

Also, ever since Feng Xiaogang's 1993 TV series _A Beijinger in New York_--shot on location in Manhattan's Chinatown starring Jiang Wen and, if he hasn't disowned it already, co-directed by avant garde artist Ai Weiwei (yes, the one who does all those modern art installations around the world and designed the "bird's nest" stadium for the '08 Olympics)--foreign actors have been creeping into major roles in mainland Chinese film and TV since at least the mid-1990s.
Bob Cashill
Posted: May 19 2012, 08:24 PM

Mobian Rock Star

Member No.: 88

Got that tidbit from Wiki.

--------------------
Yi Lee
Posted: May 19 2012, 09:37 PM

Mobian

Hey Bob (and everybody else),

Yeah, I took a look at wiki page prior to my response to your initial post. I still don't buy whatever wares the article's writers are selling, though. I think Wikipedia is perfectly fine for some general research but where it really comes up short is on information that isn't conventional knowledge. For instance, earlier in this thread I spoke of American actress Patricia Joe. See:

http://z8.invisionfree.com/MHVF/index.php?...post&p=22000638

There's no Wikipedia entry for her under either Patricia Joe, Joe Quan Ling, or Chow Kwun-ling (how her name was rendered in Roman characters in the entertainment press of Hong Kong.) I spoke about her in an earlier thread on actress Josephine Siao:

http://z8.invisionfree.com/MHVF/index.php?...post&p=12606927

Using Google, the only thing of any substance that seems to come up in English is occasional poster "Durian Dave" david wells' defunct Chinese cinema blog post on her:

http://softfilm.blogspot.com/2009/05/chow-...-named-joe.html

Both Patricia and her sister Catherine were kinda big deals back in the day as overseas American Chinese who had "gone back home" to China/Hong Kong and became media stars back in the 1950s/60s. But for all intents and purposes, that information is pretty much lost in the English-language fluggen-web.

Returning to Cary Woodworth's "accomplishment," general knowledge as a film fan indicates that were pioneers before him--Donald Sutherland in Feng Xiaogang's "Big Shot's Funeral" (2001), Mark Salzman in the indie "Iron and Silk" (1990), which was a movie adaptation of Salzman's own book by the same name first published in 1986.

None of the stuff I've mentioned--including Donald Sutherland(?)-- is mainstream enough to be mentioned in a wiki article but it's surely there. I guess I'm "bearing witness" (as Run DMC might say it) to that with my postings here.

(To david wells and dennis lee if you're still reading, including others like Michael Kerpan, Elif Kaya, Eleanor Farrell, MF Cappiello, Brian Naas, Grady Hendrix, etc.): Where you guys been? It's your "off the beaten path" posts that plant ideas in inquisitive viewers like myself looking to find new stuff to watch and ponder. I often use the metaphor that I view this board like an cozy independent bookshop or lush botanical garden where you can engage other fans in the odd reading alcove or shaded bench spot and exchange ideas. Been missing some of that from ya'll these past few months/years.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0367 seconds | Archive