Mobius

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Question about Leone audio commentaries, and Christopher Frayling...
Brian Camp
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 03:37 PM

Mobian Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 125

I listened to Christopher Frayling’s audio commentary on the COLOSSUS OF RHODES DVD and was impressed with how informative he was and how well he kept up the pace of it. He’s like the Bey Logan of Italian genre films. I’m interested in more Frayling commentaries. I looked up my other Leone DVDs and the only other one I have that he participated on is ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. So I listened to that today.

Unfortunately, he has to share space on it with Sheldon Hall (someone unknown to me), John Carpenter, Alex Cox, Claudia Cardinale and Bernardo Bertolucci, none of whom has anything to say that wouldn’t have been better left to the accompanying interview docs, on which all but Hall appear anyway. Cardinale and Bertolucci aren’t even watching the film when they do their bits. Cardinale talks more about Visconti than Leone. Carpenter and Cox are watching the film during their bits, but Carpenter shows an extraordinary lack of patience with Leone's pacing and complains about the “annoying” gunshot sounds used in the film. Frayling gets the bulk of the commentary, including the entire final half hour, and I wish he’d done all of it.

I wasn’t planning on upgrading my copies of the “Man with No Name” trilogy, but I may do so if I can get Frayling’s commentaries.

Questions:

1) Has Frayling done other commentaries? I.e., for non-Leone Italian films.

2) Why was the OUATITW commentary split up like that? Why couldn’t they have let Frayling do all of it?

Thank you.

This post has been edited by Brian Camp on Apr 16 2012, 03:39 PM

--------------------
Jon Robertson
Posted: Apr 16 2012, 04:17 PM

Fledgling Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 267

Yep, commentaries by Frayling can be found on the special editions of A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY, and DUCK, YOU SUCKER! Be warned that his GBU commentary only appears on the Blu-ray edition.

He's also done very fine commentaries for THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (only on the 2-disc R1 Collector's Edition from 2006 - not carried over for the Blu-ray, frustratingly), THE INNOCENTS (on the UK DVD and Blu-ray editions from the BFI) and Cocteau's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (both the UK BFI and Criterion discs). All three are absolutely top-drawer.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0357 seconds | Archive