Mobius

Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

COONSKIN hits legit DVD!
Jeff Nelson
Posted: Mar 17 2012, 07:46 PM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 70

I just picked up a copy of this at Scarecrow Video in Seattle. I had no idea a legit DVD was in the works until i saw it on the shelf there today, and a little voice told me I'd better grab one. All I can say is, WOW.

Well, maybe I'll say just a bit more. I have extremely fuzzy memories of this film from a viewing of the ancient VHS release 20 years ago, and the film didn't really resonate with me back then. So, I was quite unprepared for the masterpiece contained in this new DVD...sometimes a proper presentation can work wonders on a viewing experience.

Xenon's anamorphic widescreen DVD presents COONSKIN in all its gritty, colorful gory glory, with every bit of the original film grain intact, just as it should be. No DNR scrubbing, just good old-fashioned film textures, and animation cel lines too. Looks wonderful on my 55" Samsung LED LCD, like I'm watching a mint 35mm original print at my own private drive-in. After seeing it like this, I'm now convinced that it's one of the finest, most artistically brilliant and hard-hitting American satires in film history. Kudos to all who worked on getting this release of Bakshi's magnum opus to happen.

On the downside, if there's one film that needs extras to provide context and historical background, it's this one. And unfortunately, there are none to be found, unless you count the abominable quality non-anamorphic widescreen trailer for SWEET SWEETBACK'S BAADASSSSS SONG that plays before the main menu appears. Oh well; the market for physical media being what it is these days, we're extremely lucky this appeared on actual pressed DVD at all. Looks great, sounds great, it's complete and uncensored, and the cover is based on the original poster art. As the chances of this hitting Blu are most likely nil, I'd encourage all you Bakshi fans to snap this up immediately, 'cause you're gonna LOVE it.
Chris Neill
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 03:05 AM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 252

What length is it? There are two differents versions of Coonskin.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0528 seconds | Archive