Mobius

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

A new book on Eurocult, McFarland looks at Euro exploitation..
Anthony Thorne
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 12:50 AM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 38

This newish McFarland volume on Euro exploitation cinema by Danny Shipka must have snuck in under the radar, as I'd never heard of it until yesterday. It looks potentially worthwhile though and the 'Search Inside the Book' feature on Amazon makes it look like a fairly detailed study. Shipka seems to know his stuff and makes use in the footnotes of books, magazines and a website or two that most here should be familiar with.

PERVERSE TITILLATION: The Exploitation Cinema of Italy, Spain and France (2011)

"The exploitation film industry of Italy, Spain and France during the height of its popularity from 1960 to 1980 is the focus of this entertaining history. With subject matter running the gamut from Italian zombies to Spanish werewolves to French lesbian vampires, the shocking and profoundly entertaining motion pictures of the "Eurocult" genre are discussed from the standpoint of the films and the filmmakers, including such internationally celebrated auteurs as Mario Bava, Jess Franco, Jean Rollin and Paul Naschy. The Eurocult phenomenon is also examined in relation to the influences that European culture and environment have had on the world of exploitation cinema. The author's insight and expertise contribute to a greater understanding of what made these films special--and why they have remained so popular to later generations."

PERVERSE TITILLATION on Amazon
Bill Picard
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 07:31 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 32

The author's 276 page dissertation of the same name, submitted for a PhD in Philosophy (!), is available on line and appears similar to the published book.
Bob Lindstrom
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 02:46 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 2

Thanks for the link, Bill. I just took a quick browse through it and was pretty shocked that this is all you need in a disseration to get a PhD these days. It kind of points up the outmoded foolishness IMO of that aspect of the university/college tradition.
Anthony Thorne
Posted: Nov 21 2011, 03:14 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 38

Folks on another forum noted that the book seems to be expanded somewhat, and when I browsed through the 'Search Inside the Book' feature on Amazon the final volume did seem to be more detailed than the dissertation Bill linked to here. I'm sure the structure is the same though and one will give a reasonable taste of the other. They'll be passing out PhD's in Joe D'Amato movies next.
Derek Botelho
Posted: Nov 21 2011, 10:27 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 431

I'm working on my M.A. in Dario Argento. My degree will probably be printed on yellow paper. I know, that was terrible. But I couldn't resist.
Bob Lindstrom
Posted: Nov 21 2011, 12:49 PM

Mobian

Anthony and Derek, ladies and gentlemen!! They're here all week!!

(Good ones, guys. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif )
Miles Wood
Posted: Nov 22 2011, 09:50 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Bob Lindstrom @ Nov 19 2011, 02:46 PM)
Thanks for the link, Bill. I just took a quick browse through it and was pretty shocked that this is all you need in a disseration to get a PhD these days.

A quick skim...looks more like BA dissertation to me.

That said, I had to tidy up a MA thesis not long ago and it was like the work of 12-year old. I basically confined myself to correcting grammar as it was really beyond my help, so I was somewhat surprised - to say the least! - to be informed recently that it had been deemed good enough.
Derek Botelho
Posted: Nov 23 2011, 01:28 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 431

I had been considering going on to my masters, but college is so expensive, can I really afford more debt for a piece of paper?

Tim Rogerson
Posted: Nov 24 2011, 04:50 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 212

I re-looked at my BA dissertion and now, many years later, I would completely re-write it if I was to do it again. Wouldn't change much content per se but the writing/language now seems quite poor.
Danny Shipka
Posted: Nov 25 2011, 10:59 AM

Fledgling Mobian

Member No.: 384

OUCH guys! (laugh) If only this is all it took to get a Ph.D! I appreciate the feedback and take it all in good spirits. Actually, you're right when I go back to look my disseration I cringe and find 5 million things wrong with it (though again...worked hard on it). I think I tackled alot of the problems with it in the new edition. and am pretty proud of its contribution. Is it perfect?...ha.. not yet. I hate the asking price (I didn't have a thing to do with it) and there are still many movies that need including for completists, but I, in the end, stand behind it. As a lurker on these pages for many, many years I've always enjoyed the criticism and discussion that these pages bring. It'll be fun to have it aimed at myself now (grin)...have at it! D
Bob Lindstrom
Posted: Nov 25 2011, 12:08 PM

Mobian

smile.gif Yeah, as a writer for a few decades, I quickly realized that when you're looking at your past work, the most you can expect to realize in personal satisfaction is being able to say, "Gee, that wasn't a piece of sh*t." biggrin.gif

Nowadays, I edit the books of others in hopes that 10 years from now they'll be able to look back in merde-free satisfaction.

Class act, Danny. Thanks for elegantly fielding the BS of us dissertation-less critics!

Now the litmus-test question is whether your book mentions my personal Eurocult favorite, Claude Mulot's "The Blood Rose." Nudity, disfigurement, and perverted dwarves -- it has it all.

This post has been edited by Bob Lindstrom on Nov 25 2011, 12:12 PM
Miles Wood
Posted: Nov 27 2011, 12:18 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Danny Shipka @ Nov 25 2011, 10:59 AM)
Actually, you're right when I go back to look my disseration I cringe and find 5 million things wrong with it (though again...worked hard on it).

You're not the only one!
Danny Shipka
Posted: Nov 27 2011, 02:02 PM

Fledgling Mobian

Member No.: 384

Ahhh Bob, my worst nightmare (smile)! I fail your litmus-test for La Rose Ecorchée (1968)but trust me not for thinking it unimportant. Mulot's updating of Franju's Les Yeux should have a section all to itself as it represents one of the few (other than Rollin's output) truly French examples of exploitation (ha ha..Olaf and Igor's presence alone legitimize that!). The fact is that I didn't get a copy of it until 3 days after the final proofs and believe me... I was kicking myself as the French chapter has always been the lightest due to lack of films.

Now..before you write me off (wink)..I do actually talk about those fun French dwarfs especially in regards to Morgane et ses Nymphes (1971!) so you might find some fun there. Ha Ha..believe me I'm totally OCD when it comes to including all the pertinent movies. In my introduction I do admit that some fell through the cracks for certain reasons (not available, etc) but I'm definitely keeping a list of films, this one included, for the update (which will happen if it sells well...knock on wood). P.S. You can't tell me the actress and the two dwarfs did not have a hoot in the dungeon rape scene with all that hay! D
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0660 seconds | Archive