Mobius

Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

The "Groundhog Day" episode
Lisa Larkin
Posted: Aug 30 2011, 08:12 PM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 356

Having watched an episode of STARGATE SG1 recently that made use of the "Groundhog Day" scenario [i.e. a day repeating over and over but only one or two characters are aware of the fact], I started to wonder when this particular plot device entered the tv lexicon. It seems like every tv show with a SF or fantasy bent in the last 20 years has used it -- including BUFFY, XENA, THE X-FILES, SUPERNATURAL and the aforementioned STARGATE. Sometimes the comedic aspects are played up, sometimes not. But while GROUNDHOG DAY is the obvious touchstone for this particular storyline, it's not the first. There was a 1973 Richard Lupoff story that featured a time bounce. In the Lupoff story, the protagonist relives one hour, not one day. Apparently Lupoff considered suing Columbia Pictures over their use of the idea. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are earlier examples of it in science fiction.

The Lupoff story, "12:01", was adapted twice: once as a short film starring Kurtwood Smith in 1990 and once as a tv movie starring Jonathan Silverman in 1993. I'd like to see the Kurtwood Smith version sometime as apparently the character is trapped in the loop for eternity. It's not on DVD in region 1.

My question is, barring the adaptations of the Lupoff story, what's the earliest example of the time loop plot on tv or in film? I remember a STAR TREK: NEXT GENERATION episode that used it, but I don't know what year that was [anyone?] It might have been before GROUNDHOG DAY.

MTA: Wikipedia very helpfully has a page on time loops:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_loop

The TNG episode was "Cause and Effect" which aired in March 1992, so a year before GROUNDHOG DAY came out. And of course, DOCTOR WHO is all about the space-time continuum so they probably did a time bounce episode in the past. There was also a TWILIGHT ZONE that sort of applies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Play_%...Zone_episode%29

This post has been edited by Lisa Larkin on Aug 30 2011, 08:31 PM
Marty McKee
Posted: Aug 30 2011, 10:17 PM

Mobian Idol

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

The feature version of 12:01, directed by the capable Jack Sholder, is very good. I don't think it's very easy to see these days, but if you see the VHS turn up at a yard sale, pick it up. The story is cleverly written and performed by a charming cast, including Martin Landau and Helen Slater.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
Craig Blamer
Posted: Aug 31 2011, 04:52 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 339

1957's "The Time Element" (the original pilot for Twilight Zone) used the device.
James Cheney
Posted: Aug 31 2011, 06:27 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 95

Philip K Dick's last great short story I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon (ca.1980) used the device to remarkably poignant effect. It hasn't been adapted to the screen (yet) but something roughly comparable was attempted by Ursula K Le Guin in her novel Lathe of Heaven (1971), the work of hers most indebted to PK Dick, and later a fine TV movie (1979). A true time bounce isn't involved but rather constant rewriting of history so that the poor protagonist (a dreamer with the ability to change waking reality while asleep) wipes the slate and starts from scratch again and again, trapped rather in the manner of GROUNDHOG DAY - but with the difference that he awakes to a radically transformed reality after each night's sleep while never really moving forward.

This post has been edited by James Cheney on Aug 31 2011, 06:53 PM
Dale Sherman
Posted: Aug 31 2011, 07:42 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 589

DOCTOR WHO had been mentioning "time loops" for many years on the show, but the first time we really saw the Doctor involved with the same moments being repeated over and over again was in "Meglos" where he, Romana and K9 were trapped in what they called a Chronic Hysteratic Loop.

This meant reliving the same roughly 40 seconds over and over (within the show it mean the actors trying very, very hard to recreate their movements and words perfectly over and over again, which was tough to do when one of the actions involved Tom Baker tripping and landing on one foot each time ... and Baker was never known for being word-perfect with his dialogue).

As the characters are Time Lords, they were able to perceive the loop and managed to break out of it by speeding up their own actions (from memory of the previous time) so that they would fall out of sync with the loop. Silly, but nevertheless an intriguing idea, as the concept is that they are predestined (or fated) to go through their actions no matter what, but by sabotaging fate by "going with the flow" they were able to prove that their future was not predestined.

This post has been edited by Dale Sherman on Aug 31 2011, 07:44 PM
Terry Barhorst, Jr.
Posted: Aug 31 2011, 08:24 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 66

QUOTE (Marty McKee @ Aug 30 2011, 10:17 PM)
The feature version of 12:01, directed by the capable Jack Sholder, is very good. I don't think it's very easy to see these days, but if you see the VHS turn up at a yard sale, pick it up. The story is cleverly written and performed by a charming cast, including Martin Landau and Helen Slater.

It's out on dvd and easily available from Amazon, etc for under $10.

--------------------
Jinx
Lisa Larkin
Posted: Aug 31 2011, 11:10 PM

Mobian

While looking for a particularly hilarious SEALAB 2021 episode that featured a time loop, I stumbled on this piece that mentions a bunch of time loop stories. Warning: there be spoilers here.

http://io9.com/5206173/lets-do-the-time-loop-again-and-again

I read and enjoyed the Ken Grimwood novel, REPLAY. Must track down the PKD story mentioned. Most of the youtube links above broken due to studio copyright claims, but the STARGATE clip is still up. It's an extended version featuring bits that were cut from the episode that aired. Here's a direct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plyRr3wgwtc

Love him beating the crap out of Daniel Jackson. laugh.gif

Here's a clip from the SEALAB episode, which is entitled "Lost In Time" [it's in the the season 1 box set]:

http://video.adultswim.com/sealab-2021/dod...time-bitch.html

The SUPERNATURAL episode was a particularly good one, that went from black humor with Dean's increasingly absurd manners of death to a very dark place where Sam reveals how far he is willing to go to save Dean.

Improv Everywhere staged a live time loop at a NYC Starbucks:

http://improveverywhere.com/2003/03/22/the-moebius/

This post has been edited by Lisa Larkin on Sep 1 2011, 12:04 AM
Marty McKee
Posted: Aug 31 2011, 11:15 PM

Mobian Idol

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Terry Barhorst, Jr. @ Aug 31 2011, 08:24 PM)
It's out on dvd and easily available from Amazon, etc for under $10.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads-up.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
Brian Camp
Posted: Sep 1 2011, 07:17 AM

Mobian Rock Star

Member No.: 125

The 1984 anime feature, BEAUTIFUL DREAMER, part of the "Urusei Yatsura" series, uses the device. A group of high school students preparing for a school festival find they cannot go home because all paths and all methods of transportation lead back to the school and they have to stay there and relive the same day over and over. The cause of it takes two of the characters the entire movie to find out and it has to do with...well, not to spoil it, because it's quite a fun, if trippy movie. Let's just say that it has something to do with Lum, the alien girlfriend of one of the boys and the series' lead female character. It was directed by Mamoru Oshii, who later directed the GHOST IN THE SHELL movies.

--------------------
Lisa Larkin
Posted: Sep 1 2011, 07:54 PM

Mobian

QUOTE (Brian Camp @ Sep 1 2011, 07:17 AM)
The 1984 anime feature, BEAUTIFUL DREAMER, part of the "Urusei Yatsura" series, uses the device. A group of high school students preparing for a school festival find they cannot go home because all paths and all methods of transportation lead back to the school and they have to stay there and relive the same day over and over. The cause of it takes two of the characters the entire movie to find out and it has to do with...well, not to spoil it, because it's quite a fun, if trippy movie. Let's just say that it has something to do with Lum, the alien girlfriend of one of the boys and the series' lead female character. It was directed by Mamoru Oshii, who later directed the GHOST IN THE SHELL movies.

This is one of my favorite examples of the Groundhog Day scenario. I have the DVD but I haven't watched it in ages.

I'm thinking a Groundhog Day marathon is in order. I have the BUFFY, X-FILES and SUPERNATURAL episodes on DVD. And SEALAB 2021. I have a vague notion that AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE went there too, but I might be mistaken.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0426 seconds | Archive