Mobius

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 [5]  ( Go to first unread post )

Hefty Netflix price increase
Bob Cashill
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 09:55 PM

Mobian Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 88

Netflix eyes cable.

--------------------
Lang Thompson
Posted: Mar 8 2012, 07:19 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 11

http://techland.time.com/2012/03/08/a-netf...y-right-for-us/

And another article. What I'm getting from these is that Netflix is trying to offer streaming through regular cable outlets not create a traditional programmed cable channel. But maybe I'm misreading it.

Something I'd wondered about since the start of streaming but never saw discussed is the position that places Netflix. If they buy a DVD then it can be legally rented all they want and even over the objection of the rights holder but streaming requires the participation or at least agreement of the rights holder who could terminate it or increase fees giving them control that didn't exist with DVDs. And now that's what Netflix is struggling with.

It seems that with original programming Netflix is trying to go the "quality" HBO route instead of bulking up on inexpensive comedy or musical performances, talk shows, etc. I do wonder why they don't go after more older movies or even British material a lot of which is already digitized and probably doesn't cost that much. Sure there's not a big audience draw to 30s or even 70s films but it would give Netflix bragging rights about how much they're offering. And just imagine if they could grab stuff that's coming out on Warner Archive or some of Turner's holdings or that BBC Shakespeare series or what have you - it would really attract film buffs and we can be pretty vocal.
Bob Cashill
Posted: Mar 8 2012, 08:14 AM

Mobian Rock Star

Member No.: 88

All I know is that being a Netflix subscriber (streaming only) has less appeal with each passing headline. And now it wants to be part of my already overloaded cable bill? I may need that eight bucks to cover that.

--------------------
Marc McCloud
Posted: Mar 8 2012, 11:49 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 552

Basically, Netflix has two major problems. The first is the problem that we video store owners have had for decades... the studios HATE us. They also hate Netflix, maybe even more at this point. They will never play ball for those streaming rights.

Second, and maybe most important, is that when Netflix started their competition was Blockbuster, Movie Gallery, Hollywood Video, indie stores... small potatoes. NOW their competition is Verizon, Apple, AT&T, Comcast, Amazon, etc. Pretty daunting.

Hal Horn
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 07:08 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 654

Netflix just brought QUINCY, M.E. back for streaming, with several episodes that weren't available last time around, including the legendary "Next Stop...Nowhere!"

--------------------
Check out the full length versions of all of my reviews at:

http://hornsection.blogspot.com/
Marty McKee
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 11:08 PM

Mobian Idol

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Hal Horn @ Apr 2 2012, 07:08 PM)
Netflix just brought QUINCY, M.E. back for streaming, with several episodes that weren't available last time around, including the legendary "Next Stop...Nowhere!"

Yessssssss. Several other Universal dramas are streaming, including COLUMBO, MCMILLAN AND WIFE, EMERGENCY, THE ROCKFORD FILES, and MCCLOUD. Also STAR TREK, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, and HAWAII FIVE-0. Who needs Me-TV?

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
Hal Horn
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 05:33 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 654

QUOTE (Marty McKee @ Apr 3 2012, 05:08 AM)
Who needs Me-TV?

Well, Netflix still doesn't have CANNON yet.

--------------------
Check out the full length versions of all of my reviews at:

http://hornsection.blogspot.com/
William S. Wilson
Posted: May 1 2013, 09:08 AM

Mobian Idol

Member No.: 8

I'm sure most folks here have heard of Streamageddon, but for those not in the know, here is a piece summing up how Netflix lost 1,794 streaming titles today.

http://gothamist.com/2013/04/30/1794_title...ar_from_net.php

--------------------
Terry Barhorst, Jr.
Posted: May 1 2013, 09:15 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 66

QUOTE (William S. Wilson @ May 1 2013, 09:08 AM)
I'm sure most folks here have heard of Streamageddon, but for those not in the know, here is a piece summing up how Netflix lost 1,794 streaming titles today.

http://gothamist.com/2013/04/30/1794_title...ar_from_net.php

And that's why I buy physical media.

--------------------
Jinx
Jim Donahue
Posted: May 1 2013, 01:10 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 47

If such a fuss hadn't erupted online, I doubt I'd have noticed. I just checked and my queue is at 355, so I guess I lost around 10-15 titles. Off the top of my head, the only things I can actually ID are a couple of Bonds.
Neil Sarver
Posted: May 1 2013, 01:52 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 335

QUOTE (Jim Donahue @ May 1 2013, 01:10 PM)
If such a fuss hadn't erupted online, I doubt I'd have noticed. I just checked and my queue is at 355, so I guess I lost around 10-15 titles. Off the top of my head, the only things I can actually ID are a couple of Bonds.

I tend to agree, although I'm glad I saw it coming and watched a couple of them over the weekend. I didn't make quite the marathon of them that I intended, although, to some extent, that should say something about my enthusiasm level on a number of the titles.

I was looking forward to watching some of those Hammer titles with my wife down the line, but that's as good a reason as any to just bite the bullet and buy them.

--------------------
Michael Wells
Posted: May 5 2013, 09:05 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 207

As this seems to have turned into something like a general Netflix discussion thread... I, believe it or not, don't have a subscription yet, but as the last brick & mortar, mom & pop video stores close in NYC, I'm resigning myself to the inevitability.

A question: a few years ago when the writing on the wall had become clearly legible and I was first thinking about this, I spent some time looking through the catalogs for Netflix and a couple other smaller, boutique services like Greencine. This week I went back to look at Netflix again and it seems you can't browse through their entire collection anymore without signing up. This seems bizarre to me and I feel like I must be missing something somewhere. I'm curious to take another look, as I've heard their collection of less mainstream stuff (which I found pretty impressive last time) has shrunk noticeably. Also, I'm about to place a large order or two with a Hong Kong e-tailer and figured I may as well check my list against Netflix to see what I don't need to bother buying.

Thanks, all.

--------------------
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (5) « First ... 3 4 [5] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0825 seconds | Archive