Mobius

Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Ridley Scott's ALIEN prequel turns into PROMETHEUS
Doran Gaston
Posted: Jan 14 2011, 07:12 PM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 329

Very interesting...

RIDLEY SCOTT’S ALIEN PREQUEL TURNS INTO PROMETHEUS

http://www.chud.com/30658/ridley-scotts-al..._medium=twitter

This post has been edited by Doran Gaston on Jan 14 2011, 07:13 PM
William S. Wilson
Posted: Jan 15 2011, 11:59 AM

Mobian Idol

Member No.: 8

I actually find this really good news. The idea of Scott returning to the ALIEN series just seemed bad after the last decade of AVP madness. So the fact that it has morphed into an original project makes me happy.

--------------------
William S. Wilson
Posted: Nov 23 2011, 09:29 AM

Mobian Idol

Here are some scans of the first official stills for this:

http://io9.com/5862143/first-images-from-r...alien-mythology

--------------------
Wade Sowers
Posted: Nov 23 2011, 01:33 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 58

Is it just me or does this look like the actor's heads pasted on spacesuits? The one with Charlize Theron does look like an actual still from a movie. The big stone head certainly looks like one of those.

This post has been edited by Wade Sowers on Nov 23 2011, 01:37 PM
William S. Wilson
Posted: Nov 27 2011, 09:22 AM

Mobian Idol

If you enjoy watching handheld "leaked" trailer footage, the PROMETHEUS trailer can be seen here:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2011/11/26/exclus...railer-footage/

--------------------
Craig Blamer
Posted: Nov 27 2011, 10:04 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 339

"...a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth,"

So, Scott is tipping his hat again to Planet of the Vampires?
William S. Wilson
Posted: Dec 22 2011, 12:53 PM

Mobian Idol

Here is the trailer in a finally watchable format.

http://io9.com/5870445/watch-the-first-tra...-prometheus-now

--------------------
William D'Annucci
Posted: Dec 22 2011, 05:38 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 111

I hate to be "that guy" but this just looks like a big fancy expensive remake of Alien, copying or referencing specific images and shots. Hopefully, the finished film is much more than that.

It's also annoying how they seem to be playing a variation of the same promotional game that was done with The (P)re-Thing this year. We kept hearing how Prometheus was not really going to be an Alien prequel, but all signs are pointing to some kind of prequel/remake hybrid.

This post has been edited by William D'Annucci on Dec 23 2011, 06:44 AM
Martin Brooks
Posted: Dec 23 2011, 06:42 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 101

Personally I thought the trailer mad the film look like it could be fantastic!

This post has been edited by Martin Brooks on Dec 23 2011, 06:42 AM
William S. Wilson
Posted: Dec 23 2011, 11:31 AM

Mobian Idol

Some super observant ALIEN fans noticed humanoid standing on the Space Jockey set in the trailer and you can see it here:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=41353.0

--------------------
John W McKelvey
Posted: Dec 23 2011, 09:50 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 92

I've seen all four Aliens movies several times, but uh... who/what's the space jockey?

--------------------
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time."
William S. Wilson
Posted: Dec 23 2011, 10:36 PM

Mobian Idol

That is the term (for better or worse) that has been attached to the huge, fossilized creature the human crew finds in the alien ship in the first ALIEN.

--------------------
William S. Wilson
Posted: Mar 17 2012, 10:07 AM

Mobian Idol

Here is the second PROMETHEUS trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY4HE55idzA

--------------------
William S. Wilson
Posted: Mar 18 2012, 08:34 AM

Mobian Idol

And a third, spoiler plot heavy trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDuzatURr-Y

--------------------
Sheldon Warnock
Posted: May 30 2012, 06:17 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 150

Jeff McKay
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 03:58 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 115

SPOILER!!!!

I thought this was a big dud, outside of the breathtaking visuals and two or three effective sequences. The script is laughable and is full of nonsensical actions (for example, why does Fassbinder infect the lead doctor?) and just plods along for the most part. The score is also generic and inappropriate, sounding like bland patriotic music when there's just a regular dialog conversation going on. You do get a brief reprise of the original ALIEN score in a sequence early on with Guy Pearce, though.

Worst of all, it could take me years to try to erase the memory of the backstory and personification of the space jockey. I'll never watch ALIEN again without thinking of this nonsense now. Sometimes it's better to leave things a mystery.

This post has been edited by Jeff McKay on Jun 8 2012, 04:46 PM
Vincent Pereira
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 07:59 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 65

Saw this last night via a midnight screening and really liked it a whole lot. I didn't find it to be "plodding" at all, certainly no more "plodding" than the original film. In terms of pacing, I was happy to see a return to the slow-burn philosophy of the original. I'm looking forward to seeing this again, as well as the inevitable follow-up which I'm sure will fill in some of the holes that I have no doubt were intentionally left open (i.e., why *SPOILERS!!!*David infects Shaw's husband*END SPOILERS!!!*).

Vincent

Shawn Garrett
Posted: Jun 8 2012, 09:57 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 395

I thought it was interesting and enjoyable, but nothing amazing. Funny, the friend is was with mentioned the very same plot hole, but I thought it was just an illustration of how dangerous it was to have a thing like David around, driven by curiosity but with no temperance of human emotions like fear leading to caution. It didn't care about anyone but Liz Shaw... well, almost no one.

I got a real METAL HURLANT vibe off the one later character. Actually a real HEAVY METAL vibe about the whole thing - philosophizing in alien vistas and then sudden violence.

A fun night at the movies. I didn't find the music "patriotic" myself, it seems almost like burnished, cut-down, old-school "Romantic Drama" music.

And, yes, best secret remake of PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES ever!

Will a stealth prequel to LIFEFORCE be in the works? Maybe they could do it as a big-scale IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE remake and complete the circle....

Oh, wait, no, QUEEN OF BLOOD.....

This post has been edited by Shawn Garrett on Jun 8 2012, 10:12 PM
Domenick Fraumeni
Posted: Jun 9 2012, 10:08 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 131

This is got to be the most frustrating film I've seen this year. The editing is VERY choppy. I'm all for a quick paced film, but this goes from A to B to E, in it's story. And there's a few characters who look like they have no business being there. WTH is with a geologist who looks, talks, and acts like he just got out of prison? After that wonderful opening, that bit brought the whole story down a notch. And a lead, very bland, scientist who looks, talks, and acts like a college freshman? I kept thinking Shaw's the real lead here, and this dude just hitched along because he's her boyfriend. Ugh. Back to the editing, there's a major scene, that's pretty horrifying, but then no followup. No reaction. Nada. And where does the beginning tie into anything? Yeah, I can connect the dots on my own, but I shouldn't have to. The writer, director, and editor are supposed to furnish me with enough information to do so.

A beautiful film with stunning imagery and science that's very plausible. And a great score that matches the visuals. It's been a bad year for movie scores, but PROMETHEUS stands out, in that regard. And the best 3d, so far, of the year. The depth is fantastic, with a stunning opening shot in Nova Scotia that made me want to book a ticket right away. The starfields are mesmerizing.

There are some great ideas and a decent connection to the events of ALIEN. But just when the moment comes when the pieces are supposed to fall in place for it all to work, it all comes apart, with an ending that requires everyone to do some stupid things. I came out, very aggravated, hoping that an extended cut is forthcoming on Blu Ray that will maybe balance things out better.

This post has been edited by Domenick Fraumeni on Jun 9 2012, 10:16 AM
Mike Thomas
Posted: Jun 9 2012, 02:06 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 256

QUOTE (Vincent Pereira @ Jun 8 2012, 07:59 PM)
(i.e., why *SPOILERS!!!*David infects Shaw's husband*END SPOILERS!!!*).

SPOILERS:

My take on this was that the old man was pressuring David to come up with some results testing the goo on a human subject.

Regarding why test Shaw's husband, David was testing him by asking him "how far he'd go...", and I guess he got the answer he was looking for.

I found the movie to be silly and boring, with characters doing stupid things over and over again.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3097 seconds | Archive