Mobius

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Pages: (18) « First ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

ROGER CORMAN CULT CLASSICS . . ., new line from Shout! Factory . . .
Marty McKee
Posted: Sep 9 2010, 03:09 PM

Mobian Idol

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Chris Stangl @ Sep 9 2010, 05:41 AM)
Look, I like STARCRASH as much as the next drunk guy, but is there more demand for that on Blu-ray than the original NOT OF THIS EARTH?

I would say yes. Look around the Internet, and you'll find a lot of STARCRASH reviews and fansites.

I'd be happy if all of Shout Factory's releases were Blu-rays though. I'm pretty sure the decision on what gets on BR is based on estimated sales...though I have no idea how those numbers are calculated.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
John Charles
Posted: Sep 9 2010, 08:59 PM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 80

I've seen the German DVD of NOT OF THIS EARTH and it is pulled from a ratty old 16mm TV print. I hope Shout is able to come up with something better, but the fact that they have made this into a triple bill suggests that one or two of the movies are not going to look all that hot. Not to fault him in any way as it makes good business sense, but I've noticed that producer Cliff McMillan tends to pair up one good movie or good looking transfer with a second that either looks bad or is simply a bad movie.
bruce holecheck
Posted: Sep 11 2010, 01:42 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 85

Cliff responded about the elements in a thread at AV Maniacs:

"Though there is no set release date yet, I am happy to announce that coming in early 2011 will be not just a double feature, but a triple feature of early Corman classics including ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, NOT OF THIS EARTH and WAR OF THE SATELLITES, plus some additional bonus content including a featurette we shot on Roger Corman with new interviews from Joe Dante, Peter Fonda, Peter Bogdanovich and many more. So, yes, I did find the dupe negative for NOT OF THIS EARTH and we started the transfer last night. It looks pretty darn great. Both NOTE and ATTACK will be anamorphic widescreen (1.78:1). So, all can rejoice... it's coming... and it's even better than thought!!"

Earlier in the same thread he states:

"We've been transferring more trailers so there will be more showing up on other releases. And wait until you see all the trailers on the new title ROGER CORMAN'S SCI-FI CLASSICS (ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS, NOT OF THIS EARTH and WAR OF THE SATELLITES).... I think it's at about 31 trailers!!"

Sounds like it should be a pretty good set!

--------------------
Cinema Arcana!
Knee-Deep in Cinemuck!
John Charles
Posted: Sep 11 2010, 02:30 PM

Mobian

Thanks for the update, Bruce. Sounds like a winner!
Marty McKee
Posted: Sep 14 2010, 09:22 PM

Mobian Idol

I received the STARCRASH Blu-ray today. It's packed with so many extras that I can't complain much, but it woulda been nice if Shout Factory coulda gotten Marjoe Gortner and David Hasselhoff to contribute. Caroline Munro sits for a 70-minute+ "interview" that is just her talking the whole time without any questions or clips to break things up. I only saw about ten minutes, but an actual conversation with a moderator would have been a much better option than just having Caroline, who seems very nice, talking about her credits for an hour.

The package includes a large photo gallery and some behind-the-scenes home movies narrated by Stephen Romano that are really cool. Aside from the trailers, that's about all the extras I've gotten to so far.

Obviously, this disc is a must-own.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
Marshall Crist
Posted: Sep 14 2010, 11:20 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 243

QUOTE (Marty McKee @ Sep 14 2010, 09:22 PM)
Caroline Munro sits for a 70-minute+ "interview" that is just her talking the whole time without any questions or clips to break things up.

That sounds magnificent.
John Black
Posted: Sep 15 2010, 12:47 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 99

Up now for preorder at Amazon.com:

CRAZY MAMA/ LADY IN RED
BIG BAD MAMA/ BIG BAD MAMA 2

Both due December 7th, I believe.
Marty McKee
Posted: Sep 16 2010, 07:07 PM

Mobian Idol

Soon after its U.S. theatrical run, STARCRASH got onto television and VHS, but for more than twenty years, it was very difficult for American fans to see. Amazingly, Shout Factory bestowed upon audiences a sparkling 2-disc DVD and Blu-ray release in 2010. All the better to ogle the gorgeous Caroline Munro, as well as Roberto Piazzoli’s colorful cinematography and Armando Valcauda’s unconvincing but creative special effects.

Author Stephen Romano (SHOCK FESTIVAL), a big STARCRASH fan, really spearheaded the project and provides not one, but two audio commentary tracks. I listened to just one, the so-called scene-specific track, and Romano’s knowledge and enthusiasm shine through. Both Cozzi and Munro sit before Shout Factory’s cameras for lengthy interviews that cover the breadth of their careers. I wish Gortner and particularly Hasselhoff had participated, but I have no quibble with the job Shout Factory did.

The set also includes exclusive behind-the-scenes footage narrated by Romano, several STARCRASH trailers (one with commentary by Joe Dante, who edited New World’s original spot), deleted scenes, photo galleries, promotional art, deleted scenes, and even features dedicated to the film’s score and special effects. No doubt STARCRASH, as well as the rest of Shout Factory’s Roger Corman Cult Classics line, will reign as one of 2010’s best DVD releases.

And wait until you find out which American cult actress dubbed Caroline Munro's voice!

--------------------
Mark Tinta
Posted: Sep 16 2010, 09:32 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 687

Just finished watching this and some of the extras on disc 1 (not the commentaries). Really informative interview with Cozzi. And the film itself looks as good as it ever will. I rented the Charter Entertainment VHS when it came out in 1986 and that's the last time I saw this.

Marty, did you watch the trailer with Eli Roth's "Trailers from Hell" commentary? He makes two mentions of the non-existent STARCRASH II (unless he's thinking of Bitto Albertini's 1981 knockoff ESCAPE FROM GALAXY 3, which was known as STARCRASH II in some parts of the world), but the most egregious is his comment that David Hasselhoff doesn't appear until "near the end" of STARCRASH, but "came back for STARCRASH II."

Whaaaa?

--------------------
John Charles
Posted: Sep 16 2010, 10:17 PM

Mobian

Sounds about as factual as his BLOODSUCKING FREAKS commentary.
Marty McKee
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 07:33 AM

Mobian Idol

That's even more clueless than moderators Bill Olsen and Scott Spiegel struggling for five minutes (and eventually failing) to identify ubiquitous character actor Richard Stahl on the Code Red TERMINAL ISLAND commentary. Sorry, but if you don't know who Richard Stahl is (at one point, Olsen confuses him with Richard Schaal even), you really have no business playing "authority" on a film like TERMINAL ISLAND.

--------------------
William S. Wilson
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 09:50 AM

Mobian Idol

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (Mark Tinta @ Sep 16 2010, 09:32 PM)
Marty, did you watch the trailer with Eli Roth's "Trailers from Hell" commentary? He makes two mentions of the non-existent STARCRASH II (unless he's thinking of Bitto Albertini's 1981 knockoff ESCAPE FROM GALAXY 3, which was known as STARCRASH II in some parts of the world), but the most egregious is his comment that David Hasselhoff doesn't appear until "near the end" of STARCRASH, but "came back for STARCRASH II."

Whaaaa?

Let's not forget that Roth was on that Bravo 100 GREATEST HORROR moments and said he was a big fan of Cronenberg's earlier films "like SHIVERS and THEY CAME FROM WITHIN." D'oh!

--------------------
Patrick Lefcourt
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 10:26 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 788

QUOTE (Marty McKee @ Sep 17 2010, 01:33 PM)
That's even more clueless than moderators Bill Olsen and Scott Spiegel struggling for five minutes (and eventually failing) to identify ubiquitous character actor Richard Stahl on the Code Red TERMINAL ISLAND commentary. Sorry, but if you don't know who Richard Stahl is (at one point, Olsen confuses him with Richard Schaal even), you really have no business playing "authority" on a film like TERMINAL ISLAND.

The most recent example I've heard is on the DELINQUENT SCHOOLGIRLS commentary, where Bob Minor tries to remember the name of the Al Adamson movie he made with Jim Kelly and "that guy who played James Bond," and gets absolutely no help from moderator Elijah Drenner (AMERICAN GRINDHOUSE), who should've done more research or at least had a laptop ready for easy reference. After five minutes of "It'll come to me, it'll come to me," Minor finally blurts out "Pierce Brosnan!" and Drenner, who probably has never heard of George Lazenby, lets out a laugh and asks, incredulously, "Pierce Brosnan was in an Al Adamson movie?!"

This post has been edited by Patrick Lefcourt on Sep 17 2010, 10:27 AM
John Charles
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 12:44 PM

Mobian

Bill Olsen's commentaries drive me around the bend. I know he's the head of the company and obviously likes the sort of movies he puts out, but it seems like he never does any prep at all. He's also got a voice that really isn't moderator quality.
William S. Wilson
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 02:04 PM

Mobian Idol

QUOTE (Patrick Lefcourt @ Sep 17 2010, 10:26 AM)
The most recent example I've heard is on the DELINQUENT SCHOOLGIRLS commentary, where Bob Minor tries to remember the name of the Al Adamson movie he made with Jim Kelly and "that guy who played James Bond," and gets absolutely no help from moderator Elijah Drenner (AMERICAN GRINDHOUSE), who should've done more research or at least had a laptop ready for easy reference. After five minutes of "It'll come to me, it'll come to me," Minor finally blurts out "Pierce Brosnan!" and Drenner, who probably has never heard of George Lazenby, lets out a laugh and asks, incredulously, "Pierce Brosnan was in an Al Adamson movie?!"

And that, kiddies, is how urban legends are born!

--------------------
Bob Cashill
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 08:04 PM

Mobian Rock Star

Member No.: 88

On the other hand, Willem Dafoe scolds Troy Duffy for not knowing who Warre Oates is toward the end of the BOONDOCK SAINTS 2 commentary.

--------------------
Mark Tinta
Posted: Oct 10 2010, 12:15 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 687

I watched the just-released double feature DVD of THE EVIL and TWICE DEAD this evening. I was pretty surprised at how well THE EVIL holds up. I didn't remember it being that good. It has its issues--primarily that, despite some mild language and one gory bit, it looks and feels like a made-for-TV movie. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Victor Buono's bit at the end, to me, still torpedoes this thing in the home stretch. But up until then, this was a very effective haunted house thriller with solid performances, some intense scare sequences, and some really creepy use of sound. Much better than I remembered it being. That ending, though. THE EVIL also gets a lot of mileage from a veteran pro like Richard Crenna leading the cast. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I miss the hell out of Crenna. Everything he was ever in was better because of it.

This was my first time seeing 1988's TWICE DEAD, which, at least in my area, was a bit more successful than other Concorde releases: it was at a first-run multiplex for two weeks instead of just one, PLUS, it got another week at a second-run $1 multiplex at a now-demolished mall. Almost all of the Concorde releases from that era hit Toledo, and with the exception of TWICE DEAD, all were gone from the first-run venue after a week, and only a few would move to the $1 venue at the mall (which is where the 14-year-old version of me snuck into BIG BAD MAMA II after getting a ticket to a PG movie). Anyway, TWICE DEAD is a pretty lethargically-paced haunted mansion tale, which at least makes it a logical double feature pairing with THE EVIL. It takes forever to get going, and there are a few inventive death scenes when it finally does. There's a long stretch where the ghost story takes a backseat to some LOST BOYS-looking punks terrorizing new kids-in-the-neighborhood Tom Breznahan (THE BRAIN) and Jill Whitlow (NIGHT OF THE CREEPS), playing siblings but acting more like boyfriend-girlfriend (I toggled over to the commentary with Breznahan and director Bert Dragin a couple of times, and Breznahan mentions briefly dating Whitlow after filming). TWICE DEAD really isn't all that special, and I wouldn't have been missing much if I'd gone another 22 years without seeing it. I doubt I'll even go back to listen to the entire commentary. Todd Bridges has a thankless role as a friend of Breznahan's.

There's also a commentary on THE EVIL, which I'll likely listen to, even though every time I toggled over to it, director Gus Trikonis was pretty much saying that it's been 35 years and he doesn't remember whatever it is the moderator was asking. Both films are in 1.85:1 transfers, with THE EVIL looking pretty impressive. The transfer on TWICE DEAD is a lot more ragged-looking, but not bad.

It's interesting to note that these thematically similar films coupled together in a Roger Corman Cult Classics double feature DVD are also...not Roger Corman productions. Both were Corman pick-ups, and neither THE EVIL nor TWICE DEAD really feel like a late '70s New World or a late '80s Concorde production, respectively. THE EVIL is a pretty good horror flick, but I'm not sure what Corman or his people saw in TWICE DEAD. Which is not to say it's bad...it's just there.

--------------------
William S. Wilson
Posted: Oct 10 2010, 08:03 AM

Mobian Idol

QUOTE (Mark Tinta @ Oct 10 2010, 12:15 AM)
which is where the 14-year-old version of me snuck into BIG BAD MAMA II after getting a ticket to a PG movie

I've notified the proper authorities in Toledo.

--------------------
Shawn Garrett
Posted: Oct 10 2010, 02:32 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 395

I remember really enjoying THE EVIL back when it would show on HBO in the early 80s (they used to use the 'house locking itself up" sequence in the episode of THAT'S HOLLYWOOD that focused on horror movies as well).

I love watching Victor Buono in anything but I can understand how his role in the end of the film unblanaces it into another kind of movie. IIRC, isn't there an alternate cut where you never see "the Devil" (either he's kept offscreen or covered with some shadow effect)?
Marty McKee
Posted: Oct 10 2010, 04:06 PM

Mobian Idol

I'm actually watching THE EVIL right now as part of "the Roger Corman experience," where the double feature plus assorted trailers spool out in one sitting. I've seen THE EVIL a coupla times, but never looking this good. Looks like Shout Factory used a 35mm print, and the color is quite good, considering. As all haunted house movies are, THE EVIL is pretty hokey, but entertainingly so and certainly well-made and well-acted.

I've heard THE EVIL has been seen (on television?) with all Buono's scenes missing, which would certainly make the climax somewhat anti. The Buono scenes are ridiculous, which makes me love them all the more. As Mark notes, Crenna was so good in stuff like this and DEVIL DOG: THE HOUND OF HELL, amazingly able to ground these absurd productions into some semblance of believability.

The DVD is so good that it highlights a major fault in THE EVIL, which is that, in the scene in which Lynne Moody is being thrown around a room by an invisible spirit, the black wires attached to the actress that are (roughly) tossing her around are extremely visible.

This post has been edited by Marty McKee on Oct 10 2010, 04:11 PM

--------------------
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (18) « First ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1539 seconds | Archive