Mobius

Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

NIGHTBREED fans, Unite! (Video to follow), NIGHTBREED restoration still possible
Domenick Fraumeni
Posted: Jun 4 2009, 08:30 AM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 131

To the "Tribes Of The Moon" and all friends of:

Well, the news broke out at Revelations, the official Clive Barker site, that Mark Miller has gotten in touch with Fox, and the word is that yes, the missing 25 minutes is still there, and as far as Fox sees it, a rerelease isn't worth it. Not even an upgrade to Blue Ray. Ouch, indeed.

But...hope is not lost. This means that it's up to us, the fans, to make it known that we WANT a restored NIGHTBREED. That, and oh I'm beginning to dislike this term these days, the NIGHTBREED "Franchise" is something we want to come back and will support, big time. I just know that in the U.S. alone, there has to be enough fans who would love to see this, let alone the rest of the world.

Below are links to Sarah and Phil's, who run Revelations, email, and to their twitter page as well as another new clip from behind the scenes from NIGHTBREED. If you know anyone else who wants to see one of the greatest monster movies ever made restored to it's original intentions, pass this along.

E Mail

Twitter

Behind The Scenes Clip

This post has been edited by Domenick Fraumeni on Jun 4 2009, 03:56 PM
Tom Kessler
Posted: Jun 4 2009, 08:48 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 686

If the studio (or studios) holding the purse strings on this one think that it's not worth it then why not sell the rights and the material to someone who does?

I'm not sure why Seraphim doesn't just make an offer and procure the elements. Yes, I know that they seem to struggle to get any announced project off the ground (no one was more surprised than I to see MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN actually get made), but surely Anchor Bay has enough good will towards Clive (how many HELLRAISER rereleases have we seen?) that they'd give this thing a whirl.

Perhaps Clive could restore it in George Lucas fashion and spiff up a few of the seamier visuals with some budget rate CG.

--------------------
Domenick Fraumeni
Posted: Jun 4 2009, 08:58 AM

Mobian

Well, BOOK OF BLOOD is done, and others are going into pre-production.

That would be great, as I'd love to see the whole thing revived, starting with a restored NIGHTBREED. I always had this idea of a fully restored, nationwide theatrical rerelease, followed by a SE DVD and then launching into a followup movie.
William S. Wilson
Posted: Jun 4 2009, 09:29 AM

Mobian Idol

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (Tom Kessler @ Jun 4 2009, 08:48 AM)
I'm not sure why Seraphim doesn't just make an offer and procure the elements.

Clive Barker spending his own money? Bwhahahahahahaha!

--------------------
Tom Kessler
Posted: Jun 4 2009, 10:16 AM

Mobian

QUOTE (William S. Wilson @ Jun 4 2009, 03:29 PM)
Clive Barker spending his own money?  Bwhahahahahahaha!

I know, I know. I was trying not to go there.

If there's anything I learned between my obsessive Barker fanboy years throughout the '90s and now, it's that he would better serve his legacy by staying home to work on his paintings and novels. And you know what? I think he would probably agree with that.

--

My real suggestion is that he should try sweet talking Anchor Bay into doing this, but that could just as easily end in burned bridges and bad blood. I'm sure that one of the reasons that HELLRAISER re-releases are so attractive is that no one really has to deal with Barker or Seraphim.

All cynicism aside, I hope that this NIGHTBREED thing really happens. I love that movie way more than I probably should. It's messy, silly (downright goofy actually) and almost sweetly naive. Barker made it with far more enthusiasm than filmmaking know-how and a slicker remake would never be able to capture that.

This post has been edited by Tom Kessler on Jun 4 2009, 10:22 AM

--------------------
William S. Wilson
Posted: Jun 4 2009, 03:34 PM

Mobian Idol

QUOTE (Tom Kessler @ Jun 4 2009, 10:16 AM)
My real suggestion is that he should try sweet talking Anchor Bay into doing this

It is bizarre because 20th Century Fox did license Anchor Bay Alex Winter & Tom Stern's FREAKED for a super deluxe edition. I could guarantee NIGHTBREED would probably sell more than that.

--------------------
John Charles
Posted: Jun 4 2009, 03:38 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 80

Did I miss something? NIGHTBREED was produced independently by Morgan Creek. The deleted footage might be sitting at Fox, but they only ever had theatrical rights to the movie. Warner released it on DVD (this and some other Morgan Creek titles, like THE EXORCIST III, are also over at Warner now).
John W McKelvey
Posted: Jun 7 2009, 09:12 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 92

I never bought the regular Nightbreed disc, but I'd buy a restored Barker-approved version special edition.

--------------------
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time."
Domenick Fraumeni
Posted: Jun 11 2009, 06:20 AM

Mobian

I'm trying to find out just where DVD rights lie right now. I thought it was with Warner's as well, which would be good as they would be much more open maybe to a restored, SE release. But the material itself is with Fox, so there is that.

At Revelations, the 145 minute cut, and this is before the added reshoots with David Croneneberg's Deckard character, has been seen. Over 44 minutes of deleted scenes.

http://clivebarker.info/morenightbreed.html
Marc Edward Heuck
Posted: Jun 11 2009, 06:05 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 53

QUOTE (Domenick Fraumeni @ Jun 11 2009, 06:20 AM)
I'm trying to find out just where DVD rights lie right now. I thought it was with Warner's as well, which would be good as they would be much more open maybe to a restored, SE release. But the material itself is with Fox, so there is that.

At Revelations, the 145 minute cut, and this is before the added reshoots with David Croneneberg's Deckard character, has been seen. Over 44 minutes of deleted scenes.

http://clivebarker.info/morenightbreed.html

It's a three way dance. Morgan Creek owns the copyright. They made an overall deal with WB for their back catalog, so it would be up to the two of them to decide to make a Director's Cut DVD. However, since Fox has been storing these materials all these years, they would likely want some compensation for holding onto the footage and pulling it out of the vault.
What may complicate matters is that Morgan Creek no longer works with WB - their current distribution and home video arrangement is with Universal, though this is only for newer movies, not the old stuff. So WB and MC may not be interested in working together on anything since they essentially left the lot. Though I suppose it didn't stop WB and Regency from collaborating on new DVDs of NATURAL BORN KILLERS and L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, despite the fact Regency is now based at Fox.
Tom Kessler
Posted: Jun 11 2009, 08:19 PM

Mobian

145 minute workprint!?

You know? I sit back and vicariously get excited by the HALLOWEEN and TEXAS CHAINSAW enthusiasts on this board, especially the proactive archivists and saviors of these films, but a complete NIGHTBREED would be the biggest holy grail for me since I found a pre-home-video bootleg of THE BLACK CAULDRON at a fan show back in the mid '90s. I would put forth a lot of gratitude to even just view that vhs quality workprint!

Man, this seems so close and yet so far away. I wouldn't even mind a release akin to Anchor Bay's original two-disc set of MANHUNTER with the second disc containing a degraded vhs master of the workprint and a newly remastered version of the theatrical cut. Of course, we shouldn't have to settle for that. Not when the elements are clearly available for a proper restoration.

But I also know how the math can be. Yes, NIGHTBREED has more than a couple of fans, but I'd be willing to be that the lot of us couldn't fiscally justify such a project even if we each paid to buy it twice.

--------------------
William S. Wilson
Posted: Feb 4 2010, 08:44 PM

Mobian Idol

For anyone interested, the 145 minute cut will have its first public screening at the Horror Hound weekend on March 27.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=13981

I hope to hell some DVD company is all over this.

--------------------
Craig Blamer
Posted: Feb 4 2010, 09:03 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 339

I liked the plaintive voice in the comments section: "It's in Indiana..."

All the cool conventions seem to be on the other side of the 'States. And then up into Canada. But at least it's not snowing right now.
John W McKelvey
Posted: Feb 4 2010, 09:44 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 92

I hope to hell some DVD company is all over this.

Seriously! They better hurry up while there's still a market for DVDs.

--------------------
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time."
Domenick Fraumeni
Posted: Feb 6 2010, 11:47 AM

Mobian

Must...Get...To...Indiana
William S. Wilson
Posted: Apr 15 2010, 11:10 AM

Mobian Idol

Here is an update on how things stand on this ever hitting DVD:

http://fangoria.com/index.php?option=com_c...icles&Itemid=56

--------------------
Tom Kessler
Posted: Apr 15 2010, 11:37 AM

Mobian

Did anyone here manage to catch the HorrorHound screening?

I'm very, very keen to learn specific details of the workprint.

--------------------
William S. Wilson
Posted: Apr 15 2010, 11:49 AM

Mobian Idol

This is the only place I've seen people discussing it:

http://www.horrorhound.com/forums/viewthre...=11&f=18&t=3683

EDIT: Here is a write up on the extra stuff at Dread Central:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/36744/nig...weve-got-anwers

This post has been edited by William S. Wilson on Apr 15 2010, 11:51 AM

--------------------
William S. Wilson
Posted: Feb 19 2012, 10:25 AM

Mobian Idol

According to Dread Central, a newer director's cut version culled from 3 different workprints will screen in North Carolina next month at the Mad Monster Party convention.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/52620/nig...arty-convention
Join Mad Monster Party to champion the cause and be a part of the growing movement to give the director's cut of this beloved film its much deserved special edition DVD/Blu-ray release. We're doing our part by sharing this cut and conducting panels which will explain the great opportunities fans will have to offer their support. Many thanks to Nightbreed distributor and owner Morgan Creek for giving us their blessing to show the film. They will be watching, with interest, for audience and fan reaction so let's show them how much we want this to happen.

Once again, THIS VERSION HAS NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE. Pulling from three separate cuts of the film, and working closely with Nightbreed's original director of photography Robin Vidgeon, Clive Barker's team at Seraphim Films has assembled a composite that will be the most complete version of the film that has ever been shown.

--------------------
Ian McDowell
Posted: Feb 19 2012, 10:19 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 510

I'm looking forward to that convention. Anne Bobby, NIGHTBREED's female lead, is a friend of mine, and she told me that she expects to see my ass at the con "or else." I believe this is the first Monster Con that Anne has ever been a featured guest (she's attended some World Fantasy conventions and the like, but more because she and her sister Kate are friends of Neil Gaiman, at whose house I first met them back in the 90s).

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Anne has promised to tell me a "great story" about the time she was on Broadway with the late Nicol Williamson in Stoppard's THE REAL THING. Apparently, it was a much happier experience than was usual for Williamson's fellow actors.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1265 seconds | Archive