Mobius

Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Anyone here watch BREAKING BAD?
Doran Gaston
Posted: Mar 10 2009, 01:12 PM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 329

I usually take Stephen King's entertainment recommendations with a grain of salt (especially after the time he put Snakes on a Plane on his list of the top ten movies of the year), but his appreciation of Breaking Bad has piqued my interest in catching up on the first season sometime in the near future (particularly the first paragraph):

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20263453,00.html

Does anyone here watch this series? Would you say that it really bears comparison to Twin Peaks, [No Country for Old Men, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

This post has been edited by Doran Gaston on Mar 10 2009, 01:13 PM
Steve Erickson
Posted: Mar 10 2009, 05:41 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 174

I've seen a total of 2 episodes - I ignored it when the first season ran and then caught one episode last week and saw the first one of the second season - but I'd say it's one of the most promising series currently on TV. I don't know if it bears comparison to TWIN PEAKS and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, but it holds up against, say, THE SHIELD.
Brandon Rome
Posted: Mar 16 2009, 06:42 PM

Fledgling Mobian

Member No.: 701

The first season is a strike-shortened 7 episodes. It's definitely worth checking out.

I think comparing BREAKING BAD to TWIN PEAKS is a bit off-the-mark.
They are totally different types of absurd.
Although I love David Lynch, his absurdism rides the line between intentionally weird and flat-out unrealistic, while BB is much more crazy downward-spiral, bad-luck type of absurd.
Though it is, like TWIN PEAKS, a surprisingly funny show, if not laugh out loud, at least off-kilter in the otherwise dead serious topics it chooses to delve into.

I just like it because Bryan Cranston is amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a role like his on TV before. It sounds cliche, but it's not: A defeated, emasculated surburban, middle-age family man who begins to 'wake up' after fate intercedes with a new timetable for life. He's wasted his life, and now that he realizes his time is limited, he starts getting into situations a whole slew of people wouldn't ever see.

The Albuquerque location isn't something you see a lot of on TV either.
I don't know why King mentions NO COUNTRY and TEXAS CHAINSAW. I would've never thought of those either. The second episode of the second season that he's referring was more like that scene with Alfred Molina in BOOGIE NIGHTS.

This post has been edited by Brandon Rome on Mar 16 2009, 06:46 PM

--------------------
"Sometimes you just have to say shit to science" - Luis Bu˝uel
Lisa Larkin
Posted: Mar 20 2009, 08:19 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 356

I've been watching BB since the beginning and I love it. But I agree, the TWIN PEAKS comparison is not apt. It exists more in the realm of DEXTER and THE WIRE than TWIN PEAKS, though it's not really like either of those shows either. Cranston is superb, but I love the supporting cast as well. His long suffering wife, her klepto-in-denial sister, Walter Jr. and the DEA brother-in-law are all great. Not to mention the psycho scary Tuco and all the other drug dealers.

Did you catch Cranston and Aaron Paul [his young partner-in-crime] on THE SOUP last week? First they did a bit on meth cooking to supplement your income in these tough economic times. But the funniest bit was when they played a clip from the reality show TOOL ACADEMY in which the winning, uh tool, had his wedding staged by the show's producers. He was interviewed talking about the man "playing a harpoon" at the wedding. They cut back to the SOUP studio where Cranston, Paul, Joel McHale and Eric McCormack are humming the wedding march while Cranston plucks the strings on a harpoon. laugh.gif
Doran Gaston
Posted: Aug 2 2010, 09:27 AM

Mobian

I'm just now catching up to this show on DVD (Neflix doesn't seem to have the first season on Blu-Ray for some reason sad.gif ), and I think it's fantastic so far. I really shouldn't have waited so long to get into it. Really wish it was on Netflix Instant so I didn't have to wait a few days for the next disc to get here.

There's definitely plenty of scary stuff in the show, but I think it's also quite funny at times. If nothing else, I think the opening scene of the first episode is my new favorite opening scene of any tv show ever made.

I find it a little interesting that the show was created by a former writer for The X-Files since it seems to have very little in common with that series (which I used to like but gave up on at some point during the last couple of seasons).

This post has been edited by Doran Gaston on Aug 2 2010, 09:40 AM
Lisa Larkin
Posted: Aug 2 2010, 08:46 PM

Mobian

Vince Gilligan was one of the very best writers on THE X-FILES. Among his episodes, "Small Potatoes", "Dreamland" and "Bad Blood", which is probably my favorite X-FILES episode ever. He also wrote "Je Souhaite", "X-Cops", "The Amazing Maleeni" and "Monday" [the obligatory GROUNDHOG DAY episode that every show seems to do].

I'm glad that Gilligan is still making good tv. I wish I could say the same for my other favorite X-FILES writer, Darin Morgan.
Doran Gaston
Posted: Aug 9 2010, 02:13 PM

Mobian

QUOTE (Lisa Larkin @ Aug 2 2010, 08:46 PM)
Vince Gilligan was one of the very best writers on THE X-FILES. Among his episodes, "Small Potatoes", "Dreamland" and "Bad Blood", which is probably my favorite X-FILES episode ever. He also wrote "Je Souhaite", "X-Cops", "The Amazing Maleeni" and "Monday" [the obligatory GROUNDHOG DAY episode that every show seems to do].

I'm glad that Gilligan is still making good tv. I wish I could say the same for my other favorite X-FILES writer, Darin Morgan.

I just got the second disc of Breaking Bad Season 1 from Netflix, and I noticed that episode 4 is entitled "Cancer Man."
Doran Gaston
Posted: Aug 15 2010, 03:44 PM

Mobian

I'm currently five episodes into Season 2, and I'm starting to think that Stephen King's Twin Pearks comparison actually isn't entirely off the mark even though it's a comparison that wouldn't have really occured to me. The first episode of Season 2 sets up a mystery of sorts, and I thought that the opening scene did have kind of a weird Lynchian vibe to it.

It wouldn't have really occurred to me to make the Texas Chain Saw Massacre comparison either, but I can kind of understand where King is coming from with the Cormac McCarthy comparison aside from the obvious similarity in setting to No Country for Old Men (set in West Texas, but mostly filmed in New Mexico). The show has reminded me of time to time of this quote from Roger Ebert's review of Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans:

Ferrara is Shakespearean in his tragedy, Herzog more like Cormac McCarthy. Sometimes on the road to hell you can't help but laugh.

I'm still digging this show a lot. Like nothing else I've seen in a long time, I feel like the show keeps telling me "This is nothing compared to what you'll see in the next episode!" in a Scheherazade-like fashion.

This post has been edited by Doran Gaston on Aug 15 2010, 03:49 PM
Doran Gaston
Posted: Sep 1 2010, 03:01 PM

Mobian

Anyone happen to know why the antepenultimate episode of Season 2 is called "Mandala?" I couldn't really figure it out and there's no explanation in the DVD/Blu-Ray extras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala
Lisa Larkin
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 06:03 AM

Mobian

Bryan Cranston picked up his third Emmy win in a row for BREAKING BAD. This year, Aaron Paul won best supporting actor as well. While I love Cranston and think he's terrific on this show, I wish the Emmy voters would climb out of their ruts once in a while and spread the wealth around. Jon Hamm and Michael C. Hall are equally worthy and have also both been nominated in this category for the last three years.
Marty McKee
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 07:33 AM

Mobian Idol

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

Not to repeat my rant over in your Emmys thread, Lisa, but I think the TV Academy really has its head in the sand when it comes to nominations. For instance, Bruce Campbell on BURN NOTICE is extremely good, but a USA series will get a major Emmy nomination about the same time I do. And I don't think the Academy even knows what television directors do, because I've seen some creative work in series like SUPERNATURAL go unnoticed.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
Terry Barhorst, Jr.
Posted: Sep 2 2010, 07:33 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 66

Take some solice that Supernatural, Buffy, Angel and others cut of the same cloth (and maybe Burn Notice, too) will be remembered 30+ years from now (if only by sci-fi/horror geeks) while most of the Emmy winners lapse in mostly deserved obscurity.

--------------------
Jinx
Doran Gaston
Posted: Dec 5 2010, 11:43 AM

Mobian

If you want an opportunity to catch up on this series, AMC is going to start rerunning Seasons 1-3 starting on 12/8 (Season 4 starts in July 2011). They're going to show two episodes every Wednesday until (I think) about the middle of March. I've already seen Seasons 1 and 2 but I wouldn't mind watching them again. I'm glad to have this opportunity to catch up on Season 3 since I hadn't started watching the show yet when Season 3 first aired and it's not available on DVD/Blu-Ray yet (it is available through Amazon video on demand, but I'd rather not watch it on my computer).

This post has been edited by Doran Gaston on Dec 5 2010, 11:45 AM
Doran Gaston
Posted: Jun 1 2011, 09:18 AM

Mobian

Season 4 of Breaking Bad starts July 17! Can't wait!

AMC released a little Season 4 teaser yesterday, but it's basically just a quick recap of Season 3 (and a little bit of 2):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alFsfEUtDmQ
Lisa Larkin
Posted: Jun 1 2011, 09:59 PM

Mobian

I still have three or four episodes of season 3 on my DVR to watch. I needed a break from the ratcheting tension. Does anyone know if Vince Gilligan has the show all mapped out with an end in sight? Or is it open ended as long as the ratings are good?

This post has been edited by Lisa Larkin on Jun 1 2011, 10:15 PM
Doran Gaston
Posted: Jun 2 2011, 10:35 AM

Mobian

QUOTE (Lisa Larkin @ Jun 1 2011, 09:59 PM)
I still have three or four episodes of season 3 on my DVR to watch. I needed a break from the ratcheting tension. Does anyone know if Vince Gilligan has the show all mapped out with an end in sight? Or is it open ended as long as the ratings are good?

Based on the interviews with Gilligan that I've read/listened to, it sounds like things are fairly open-ended for now. IIRC, in one interview, he hinted at the possibility of Season 5 being the last season, but he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to end the series.

BTW, you might want to be advised that when I googled "vince gilligan breaking bad season 4," I came across a piece of info about the Season 4 premiere that I think I would have preferred not to know (Good luck avoiding it until July 17!). angry.gif
Wade Sowers
Posted: Jun 3 2011, 12:02 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 58

. . . OK, OK, I give, I give . . . we have never watched this show, but it seems to be about time we started with Season One and make a run at it (file under "How I Spent My Summer") - I mean, everyone around here was certaily right about JUSTIFIED . . .

This post has been edited by Wade Sowers on Jun 3 2011, 12:04 PM
Doran Gaston
Posted: Jun 23 2011, 11:43 AM

Mobian

I just noticed that the Season 4 premiere episode is entitled "El Topo." I really have a hard time not seeing that as some kind of reference to the Jodorowsky film, so there's yet another reason reason why I'm of dying of curiosity about Season 4.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903747/episodes#season-4

This post has been edited by Doran Gaston on Jun 23 2011, 11:43 AM
Doran Gaston
Posted: Jul 10 2011, 11:45 AM

Mobian

Now it appears that the Season 4 Premiere episode (only one week away now!) is actually entitled "Box Cutter," not "El Topo." I wonder if "El Topo" was a working title that got changed or if there's actually going to be an episode later in the season with that title (the titles for episodes 8-13 haven't been announced yet, so I suppose it's possible).

This post has been edited by Doran Gaston on Jul 10 2011, 11:47 AM
Doran Gaston
Posted: Jul 13 2011, 01:07 PM

Mobian

Good Onion AV Club interview with Bryan Cranston (Contains a huge Season 3 spoiler and a fairly big Season 2 spoiler; no really significant spoilers for the Season 4 premiere, but you might want to save it for later if you want to go in 100% unspoiled):

http://www.avclub.com/articles/bryan-cranston,58817/

This post has been edited by Doran Gaston on Jul 13 2011, 08:05 PM
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1629 seconds | Archive