Mobius

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Customary Oscar thread
Marty McKee
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 12:45 AM

Mobian Idol

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

Any surprises? Shocks? What did you like and not like?

I'm surprised to learn from the Twitterverse that I'm in the minority in believing Billy Crystal did a very good job hosting. I also loved Emma Stone presenting with (the amazingly short) Ben Stiller. But then again, I love Emma Stone (I honestly thought a Best Actress nod for EASY A last year would not have been outrageous).

Also, it's always funny to me when a 3-hour movie wins for Best Film Editing.

Of course, the show is often thuddingly dull and inane. But hasn't it always been the case really?

This post has been edited by Marty McKee on Feb 27 2012, 12:46 AM

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
Brian Camp
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 06:41 AM

Mobian Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 125

In that montage of movie stars describing seminal childhood moviegoing experiences, Brad Pitt described WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS. How often can we expect a reference to a film like that at the Oscar Ceremony? I have new respect for the man.

Now, if they'd only shown a clip...
user posted image
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Brian Camp on Feb 27 2012, 06:41 AM

--------------------
Ian McDowell
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 07:45 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 510

I liked Emma Stone muchly, thought Crystal was just ghastly -- horribly paced, unfunny, and lizard-eyed.
Ian McDowell
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 07:48 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 510

How long has the ceremony been having last year's Best Actor and Actress winners introduce this year's candidates? As is often the case with British actors, Colin Firth sounded like he might have actually written the things he was saying about the Best Actress candidates.
Brian Camp
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 10:14 AM

Mobian Rock Star

Member No.: 125

I'm a total Rooney Mara fanboy now.

user posted image

I love that DRAGON TATTOO beat out four Best Pic nominees for Film Editing.

I was also pleased that Jean Dujardin thanked Douglas Fairbanks and Michel Hazanavicius thanked Billy Wilder.

--------------------
Robert Richardson
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 01:36 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Brian Camp @ Feb 27 2012, 06:41 AM)
In that montage of movie stars describing seminal childhood moviegoing experiences, Brad Pitt described WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS. How often can we expect a reference to a film like that at the Oscar Ceremony? I have new respect for the man.

Agreed - that was cool, as was Morgan Freeman citing KING KONG as his introductory movie-going experience.

Loved seeing Oscar recognition for both Dick Smith and Douglas Trumbull, and Christopher Plummer being effortlessly classy as he finally picked up an Academy Award. Having just watched WARRIOR a few nights back I thought Nick Nolte's work was superb, and if he won last night I would have had no problem with that - but there is something joyful about seeing an 82 year old veteran like Plummer or fellow nominee Max Von Sydow getting the gold.

Oh, and loved the fact the first award of the night went to Robert Richardson.
Raymond Tucker
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 02:28 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 278

Maybe it just slipped by me, but did the winners of the Effects Oscar for HUGO even mention Georges Melies?

This post has been edited by Raymond Tucker on Feb 28 2012, 02:57 PM
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0483 seconds | Archive