Mobius

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

The Shaw Screen, HKFA publication
Dave Garrett
Posted: Jan 15 2012, 02:20 PM

Mobian

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 14

Looking for a copy of the English edition of the The Shaw Screen, published by the Hong Kong Film Archive, but it's listed as out of stock on the ShopThruPost website. Anyone know if this is equivalent to "out of print", or does ShopThruPost periodically restock titles?

Are there any alternative sources for this (or other HKFA publications, for that matter) that will ship to the US?
Michael Wells
Posted: Jan 15 2012, 03:15 PM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 207

Dave - It's in print... I picked up a copy (along with nine other books by the HKFA and the Hong Kong International Film Festival) when I was in HK in November. Haven't read much of it yet, but it is a glorious thing.

The post office (which also sells some HKFA books right in their central branch) doesn't carry all the in-print ones - I got them at the box office at the archive. I presume the PO periodically restocks, though I don't know for sure. Checking the ShopThruPost site, I see they also list Chang Cheh's memoir as OOS, and I got that one too.

The FAQ lists other vendors in HK that sell the publications - might be worth digging up contact info for those to see if there's some way they can ship to you.

Finally, there's the patron feedback form. On a quick scan, I didn't see any other "Contact Us" info - you could try that.

I'll also mention that the HKIFF publishes lots of good stuff along similar lines, which can also be be ordered through the post.

I'll piggyback on Dave's post to ask if anyone here knows of places where one can get one's hands on long-out-of-print HKFA and HKIFF publications. Some of the ones I wanted to read most are OOP, especially Phantoms of Hong Kong Cinema, on the supernatural in HK movies, and The Swordsman and His Jiang-Hu, on Tsui Hark. I could only sample them in the archive library, which was maddening.

--------------------
Yi Lee
Posted: Jan 16 2012, 10:43 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 71

Hey Dave (and everybody else),

I'd take Michael's word for the availability situation. If you're looking for an on-line retailer, I've had success with Hong Kong Book City in the past (no physical brick and mortar location, a purely web-based entity):

http://www.hkbookcity.com/showbook2.php?serial_no=89280

That's a link for the English edition (they've got the Chinese one too if so inclined.) You've got to register with them--it might be useful having a Chinese-reading friend for that part. Next day air (really 2 to 3 days) basically doubles the cost per book in the order while snail mail, via boat, is just USD $5 more for the first book plus $2 per additional book but takes about 3 months to reach the USA. My experience, however, was using them when living in China for school--and I'm just assuming their service to the West is just as good.

(To everybody): Desperate tactic to get a long OOP (or never in print manuscript) into your personal library based upon years of working in archives in Asia. The entire thing has been scanned by Google Books but can't be viewed in pdf from due to international copyright reasons, BTW.

If you live near an American style university research library with open stacks, bring in a portable digital scanner with you. If you live near a European style library with closed stacks and reserved reading rooms, you've gotta use a good digital camera instead. Working with national and regional archives with one-of-a-kind hand written docs (which will frequently be fetched and sometimes, like the Vatican Library, chained to the desk for you "convenience"), most of these require a written recommendation for entry and will, if you pull the above stunts, throw you out of the country if you piss them off with your shenanigans (lifetime bans if you're copying "sensitive" political stuff.)

That noted, American uni libraries are enclaves of granola liberalism so just locate a comfy spot on whatever floor holds the books related to the Classics major (Latin and Greek texts)--invariably empty nowadays--and scan/shoot away. Just be sure to avoid Greek pledge week flash mob stunts or undergrads having sex in the loo(!) If you've got lending rights--available sometimes for even inter-library loan items--it's more cost effective to pay somebody to photocopy the entire thing for you. Photocopying anything longer than 25 pages is grueling enough; I cannot fathom doing a 400+ page book.

This post has been edited by Yi Lee on Jan 16 2012, 10:47 AM
Dave Garrett
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 03:37 PM

Mobian

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Yi Lee @ Jan 16 2012, 10:43 AM)
I'd take Michael's word for the availability situation.  If you're looking for an on-line retailer, I've had success with Hong Kong Book City in the past (no physical brick and mortar location, a purely web-based entity):

http://www.hkbookcity.com/showbook2.php?serial_no=89280

That's a link for the English edition (they've got the Chinese one too if so inclined.)  You've got to register with them--it might be useful having a Chinese-reading friend for that part.  Next day air (really 2 to 3 days) basically doubles the cost per book in the order while snail mail, via boat, is just USD $5 more for the first book plus $2 per additional book but takes about 3 months to reach the USA.  My experience, however, was using them when living in China for school--and I'm just assuming their service to the West is just as good.

So, I wound up ordering the book from Hong Kong Book City, which turned out to be a very straightforward process. Thanks to Chrome's helpful prompting to translate non-English webpages, I didn't even have to ask for assistance from my Chinese officemate, who is a former HK resident.

I can't remember which shipping option I selected, but it only took about 3 1/2 weeks to arrive, and the total including shipping was HK$235, or US$31.

I've only had time to skim it, but it looks like an amazing resource that I'll definitely be poring over for quite some time. I'm definitely planning to place another order soon - I didn't notice they also stocked the Cathay Story box set until after I'd already confirmed my initial order.

Thanks for the tip!
Yi Lee
Posted: Feb 22 2012, 08:41 PM

Mobian

Hey Dave (and anybody else looking to buy Chinese media),

No problem.

Three other places that I've used in the past are:

1) Eslite for books published in Taiwan (they run some of the world's finest 24-7 book malls);

2) Dang Dang for mainland publications;

3) The former Joyo.com, more commonly known as Amazon China nowadays.

Eslite is particularly good for OOP movies that no one else seems to carry while Hong Kong Book City is great for getting books that everybody says are OOP. Among the above four plus Buyoyo, DDDHouse, and YesAsia, and I think most anybody's Chinese media needs are totally covered.

Lastly, if you do the whole tablet reading thing, SuperStar Reader or Chaoxing Books can save one a pretty penny on shipping for titles originating from inside the PRC.

This post has been edited by Yi Lee on Feb 23 2012, 01:53 AM
Yi Lee
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 04:36 PM

Mobian

Hey Michael (and everybody else),

Was just piddling about during the end of the work day and came across some German booksellers (see below link.) Might be worth a look:

http://www.lehmanns.de/shop/kunst-musik-th...nd-his-juang-hu

Hope this is of some help.
Michael Wells
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 08:55 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 207

Ah! Verrry interesting. I'll be checking out all those resources. Thanks as usual, Yi! (I only just noticed these updates to the thread, as I forgot to subscribe to email notification when I responded.)

--------------------
Yi Lee
Posted: Feb 29 2012, 12:36 PM

Mobian

Hey Michael (and everybody else),

No problem. Good luck with _Phantoms_, though. I think that one might actually require scanning/photographing/photocopying in a Hong Kong reading room if you ever want a personal copy of that one item.

Also, for the record, the only people I've known who have been expelled from a country for doing the above were working with "sensitive" materials in India and Indonesia. Probably just a pretext to kick out an inconvenient critic or two. Nonetheless, there are sometimes risks in reproducing texts on closed or reading room-only access.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0748 seconds | Archive