Mobius

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Looking For A List Of Celestial Vcd-only Titles!
Darren Gross
Posted: Oct 18 2004, 05:51 PM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

I remember this little tidbit hit just before the old Mobius went phffft....that Celestial was going to be releasing some titles only on VCD due to some perceived lack of marketability.

Anyone know if this has come to pass and what titles so far are VCD exclusives?

Once we get a few, I'd like to keep adding to it as new titles come out as a valid FYI for the dedicated Shaw shopper! wink.gif
Tim Youngs
Posted: Oct 18 2004, 06:55 PM

Mobian

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 30

Yes, there are a few VCD-only titles now out and more are to come. I recommend a look at the Shaw Brothers release schedule published at The Asian DVD Guide. Both current and future VCD-only titles are listed:

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/shaw_brothers.html

Looking at the Asian DVD Guide list, it looks like THE ANGEL STRIKES AGAIN will be the first Shaw VCD I pick up.

Tim.
Marla J Hill
Posted: Oct 18 2004, 10:10 PM

Fledgling Mobian

Member No.: 67

I've seen this topic hotly debated on other boards and am curious: do any of you who have close ties to the industry and perhaps contacts at Celestial feel that they are receptive to the pleas from the fans outside of Asia? In other words, would it really help to send e-mails requesting that they reconsider this marketing strategy? I've been happy with the quality of the few VCDs that I have picked up, but I much prefer the DVD format and would like to see these classics released that way. I understand that their main market is Asian countries, and that VCD is still very popular there - I guess I'm just looking for a little hope.....

--------------------
Darren Gross
Posted: Oct 19 2004, 11:51 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 56

Thanks Tim...!

I don't believe Celestial would give much consideration to letters from the US since officially, they are not distributed there....I suppose we do have some hope if the ones Miramax has licensed include some of these VCD only titles....
Tim Youngs
Posted: Oct 19 2004, 05:57 PM

Mobian

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 30

QUOTE (Marla J Hill @ Oct 18 2004, 10:10 PM)
I've seen this topic hotly debated on other boards and am curious:  do any of you who have close ties to the industry and perhaps contacts at Celestial feel that they are receptive to the pleas from the fans outside of Asia?  In other words, would it really help to send e-mails requesting that they reconsider this marketing strategy?

No contacts at Celestial, Marla, so I'll only make assumptions. I'm not sure how much help letter writing about formats would do if the IVL discs are supposed to be for HK and Macau only. I assume the main thing that would ensure dual format releases would be a boost in sales of the Hong Kong DVDs.

QUOTE (Marla J Hill @ Oct 18 2004, 10:10 PM)
I've been happy with the quality of the few VCDs that I have picked up, but I much prefer the DVD format and would like to see these classics released that way.  I understand that their main market is Asian countries, and that VCD is still very popular there - I guess I'm just looking for a little hope.....

I'm not keen on them taking the VCD-only route for certain titles either but you're right that VCDs are popular here. Few shops in Hong Kong stock a complete range of Shaw Brothers DVDs and VCDs, the prices tend not to drop over time and a lot of shops lean towards the VCDs if they do stock the movies. Could the DVDs be doing better on online sales?

One new development that doesn't look good is seeing THE ANGEL STRIKES AGAIN due as a November VCD-only release a couple of months after ANGEL WITH THE IRON FISTS came out on both DVD and VCD. Isn't TASA a follow-up to AWTIF? If so, that'd make the format choices inconsistent.

This post has been edited by Tim Youngs on Oct 19 2004, 07:45 PM
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0585 seconds | Archive