Mobius

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Is Disney embarassed by the original TRON?, OOP on DVD
Doran Gaston
Posted: Nov 16 2010, 06:08 PM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 329

Is Disney intentionally keeping people from revisiting the original Tron before Tron: Legacy hits theaters? Apparently, it will hit Blu-Ray about the same time as Tron: Legacy, but at the moment, it's a little difficult to find a copy (DVD copies go for about $50 on Amazon Marketplace).

Want To Buy The Original TRON On DVD? Tough Shit.

http://www.badassdigest.com/2010/11/16/wan...-dvd-tough-shit

This post has been edited by Doran Gaston on Nov 16 2010, 06:10 PM
Domenick Fraumeni
Posted: Nov 16 2010, 06:26 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 131

Wow. At the time of the release of TIM BURTON'S ALICE IN WONDERLAND, one could easily find TRON for 10 dollars. Glad I got one.

I'm curious about TRON: LEGACY, which IS a sequel to the groundbreaking original, and while Daft Punk's score work is interesting so far, I still think I'm going to miss Wendy Carlos's amazing score for the first film.

Word has it that there was a screening a few months back of TRON and it was laughed at a lot. Probably had one one of those mall babies/under 25 crowds. the same people like that ET girl who didn't know who Christopher Lloyd is.

So, ONE screening puts the Kabosh on the first film, of which the huge fanbase for it is the very reason why the sequel is happening at all. Yup, that's Hollywood today.

Lucky, there's a nice 720p file running amok around the internet from a recent HDNET airing.

This post has been edited by Domenick Fraumeni on Nov 17 2010, 03:06 AM
Kenneth Warner
Posted: Nov 16 2010, 06:42 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 153

QUOTE (Domenick Fraumeni @ Nov 16 2010, 07:26 PM)
Lucky, there's a nice 720p file running amok around the internet from a recent HDNET airing.

Right after it premiered March, the untouched 1080i* .TS file was floating around, too.

* standard hard-telecine, so convertable to 1080p if re-encoding from MPEG-2 to something else.
Marty McKee
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 12:07 AM

Mobian Idol

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

I'm still amazed a TRON sequel exists. I don't remember anyone really liking it that much when it came out. I don't think it even made money for Disney (it made back its budget at the box office, but when you factor in prints and marketing, the return had to have been underwhelming). I've never even seen it all the way through because I thought it was dull (though I plan to soon watch the HDNet Movies print I DVRed). So who are all these people who suddenly love TRON so much?

TRON and THE BLACK HOLE were received almost exactly the same back in their original releases. So where are the screams for THE BLACK HOLE LEGACY?

Just saying I don't get it.

This post has been edited by Marty McKee on Nov 17 2010, 12:08 AM

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
Domenick Fraumeni
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 03:12 AM

Mobian

TRON has a large internet fan presence. I've seen web sites devoted to it, as well as heard growing appreciation for it over the years. Thing is, TRON is probably more appreciated for it's innovations then it's plot, which is a bit far fetched and thin. Good for Fantasy, not so much for Sci-Fi. I liked it a lot, but then again a Wendy Carlos score and fantastic visual imagery in 70mm can win a lot of points.

I also enjoyed THE BLACK HOLE, though those credits got us nearly dizzy watching it in 70mm, in the third row. I also had a great time deciding if my best friend then was either insane or gifted when he swore that the dream he told me about the ending 2 days prior was almost exactly what happened in the movie.

TRON and THE BLACK HOLE are trippy movies, imho. I think Disney took some risks then, though sadly both movies needed better writing to compliment their visuals.
Bob Cashill
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 07:27 AM

Mobian Rock Star

Member No.: 88

Isn't THE BLACK HOLE being remade? I'm not saying I'll be first on line to see it but it's an ideal candidate, a clumsy movie with a workable premise. As for TRON we'll see what the limits of affection are.

--------------------
Shawn Garrett
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 10:53 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 395

I'm with Marty on this and he voiced exactly my thoughts - I was "of the age" to see TRON at the time but wasn't interested and, in fact, have never made the time to see it. THE BLACK HOLE was a major disappointment to this kid!
Wade Sowers
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 12:05 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 58

. . . the Cinerama in Seattle has once again been restored and will run as an independent - I believe it is still owned by Paul Allen . . . I was talking to a fellow last night (he usually knows what he is talking about) who told me they are trying to get a 70mm print of TRON to screen prior to their opening TRON: LEGACY . . . I remember enjoying the first one, but it has been a long time . . . I believe the remake of THE BLACK HOLE has been one of those on again off again Hollywood projects for quite a few years . . .

This post has been edited by Wade Sowers on Nov 17 2010, 02:47 PM
Julian Knott
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 05:34 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 203

It's not unusual for a DVD to be deleted in preparation for a re-release.

That way they can allow consumer demand to build up, making the re-release more of an event.

Andrew King
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 07:59 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 9

My review, from back in the day, of "The Black Hole" from RATZ magazine (an independantly distributed multi English Public School magazine that eventually gave rise to Have I Got News For You, don't you know!). It was written of the time when punk fanzines were all the rage as well as 2000 A.D. the British comic:

Well, well, it seems that the Disney Co. have finally decided to jump on the well worn ' space ' film bandwagon with 20 million under its belt. But all they've produced is an expensive film; short on wit, charm and acting ability. Everything seems rather cheap, and I'm sure the money could have been much better spent (like a new freezer for Walt). The story revolves around a black hole (as the title delicately suggests) and those that happen to get trapped in its grasp. A black hole, as explained in the film, draws everything into it - including even light. The now usual special effects abound in every shot, and we were not surprised to see the token robots they had - and very cheap they looked too!! On the whole it is not a very good film and I'm sure good old Walt would turn in his grave (if the ice would let him).

John W McKelvey
Posted: Nov 17 2010, 09:29 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 92

I believe you guys are overlooking another important reason why Tron has all this interest: it has a large fanbase for its series of videogames. I was a kid when I saw Tron, and liked it enough at the time. But I've never really had any interest in revisiting it... But I have bigger, fonder memories of the many Tron games, some of which were quite cutting edge for their time. They were major arcade games (including one of the first where you could pick from multiple games in the same machine, which was built like a Tron cycle you could sit inside), plus big selling cartridges on the Atari and other old gaming systems. So they're important landmarks in classic gaming.
Also, the video games have continued... There was a 'Tron 2' PC game in the early 2000s, and an XBox game a couple years ago.

So, I think Tron has an on-going legacy and fanbase in gaming circles that similar films like The Black Hole do not. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people excited for this new Tron film are only familiar with the Tron iconography through the games and haven't actually even seen the original film.

This post has been edited by John W McKelvey on Nov 17 2010, 09:30 PM

--------------------
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time."
Lisa Larkin
Posted: Nov 18 2010, 02:59 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 356

I think there's a large nostalgia and/or guilty pleasure fanbase for TRON that does not exist for THE BLACK HOLE, for whatever reason. I saw both films in the theater back in the day and I while I recognized that they were both kind of stupid, I have a certain fondness for TRON that I do not have for THE BLACK HOLE. Maybe it's the subject matter. There weren't a lot of movies about a virtual world back then but there were plenty of space movies. Maybe it's Yvette Mimieux, who I never had any use for, or that obnoxious cutesy robot.

You can't really predict what movies people are going to latch onto. There's a fanbase for the inept Disney musical NEWSIES as well. The rotten tomatoes critics vs. audience divide on that is large: 30% critics, 88% audience. The critic vs. audience scores on TRON are much closer: 68% [critics] vs. 69% [audience]. THE BLACK HOLE is close too: 42% [critics], 45% [audience]. Of the three, only TRON is certified 'fresh'.
August Ragone
Posted: Nov 18 2010, 05:36 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 648

Another factor in TRON's fanbase is that the film was seen by a younger generation of kids via Home Video and Cable Television saturation. Most of the people I know who are bonkers about TRON, are from that precise category and relative age. Being a little older, I saw TRON in a theater and perhaps watched it once on home video since. But, I did play the video games, and I feel that TRON LEGACY could be a good film a rare case where a sequel has the potential to surpass the admittedly weak original.

--------------------
August Ragone
Special Features Producer GAMERA on DVD
Author EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS
Blog THE GOOD, THE BAD AND GODZILLA

user posted image
Marty McKee
Posted: Nov 18 2010, 11:01 AM

Mobian Idol

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Lisa Larkin @ Nov 18 2010, 03:59 AM)
You can't really predict what movies people are going to latch onto. There's a fanbase for the inept Disney musical NEWSIES as well. The rotten tomatoes critics vs. audience divide on that is large: 30% critics, 88% audience. The critic vs. audience scores on TRON are much closer: 68% [critics] vs. 69% [audience]. THE BLACK HOLE is close too: 42% [critics], 45% [audience]. Of the three, only TRON is certified 'fresh'.

I don't think Rotten Tomatoes separates its reviews by year, because I would guess if it were just 1982 reviews, the TRON scores would be lower.

I suppose a TRON renaissance isn't entirely crazy, come to think of it. Two other 1982 releases, THE THING and BLADE RUNNER, were also not highly accepted by audiences or critics then, but have come to be considered SF/horror classics (I'm still fairly unique in considering BLADE RUNNER a great big bore, but THE THING is fantastic). Maybe it just took TRON a little longer. I suspect the Jeff Bridges/BIG LEBOWSKI cult has had something to do with it.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
Domenick Fraumeni
Posted: Nov 18 2010, 11:35 AM

Mobian

While, again, the script for TRON is weak, I don't think anyone should underestimate it's impact on the industry, as far as it's visual effects. TRON was absolutely cutting edge computer generated graphics then, way before JURASSIC PARK open the CGI floodgates wide open. I thought it was a very brave experiment by Disney to finance it. It was probably destined not to do as well as Disney would've liked, simply due to a lot of people not really getting into it at the time. Had it been made in say, the late 90's/early 2000's, it might've been a different story.

What worked for me in TRON was

1.)David Warner, who can always lift even the most mundane movie

2.) Wendy Carlos's incredible score. Carlos is a major early influence on me, a major pioneer in synthesized music. Her TRON score was in demand for years, and the story of how she had to rescue the remaining original tracks is fascinating and scary at the same time. Ever bake a tape? Yeah...

3.) The visuals, which up on a huge screen, were really good, for the most part.

4.) And yes, the games definitely helped keep TRON alive. The movie got me into disc throwing for a while, as Fencing and Archery weren't readily available at the time, and I got really good at it, as well as the DISCS OF TRON game. Of which now, of course, one can download and play on one's PC, saving hundreds of quarters in the process. Also, the game TRON, which yes, was four mini games related to the movie. Both very fun,and came in a number of different cabinets in the arcades.

All of these, and the rise of the "Geek Generation" helped to elevate TRON into classic status. i can't think of any other reason why Disney would choose to do a sequel to a 28 year old movie that wasn't even a big success when it first came out. But, to deny that very movie now, to get cold feet about it at the 10th hour or so...that is just silly.

I wish I could find it now, but I'll always remember Rex "If it's not Bette Davis, it's not good" Reed's review for TRON, in which I believe his first paragraph was how he hated video games and didn't understand them. One can easily where things went from there.
James Cheney
Posted: Nov 18 2010, 02:31 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 95

I wasn't a kid when TRON was released so it doesn't have the aura of weird and wonderful youthful discovery for me. On the other hand, parts of it still pop up in my dreams. I admired it then and now as a bold attempt to make an art film with Disney money, a neo-METROPOLIS complete with retrofuturistic pipe organ accompaniment. What stuck with me most were the elements that couldn't help but sink it at the box office, the neon gloom, the utter loneliness of the byte-sized knight's quest, the inhuman humming circuitry of it all. It's as if the Incredible Shrinking Man took a Fantastic Voyage in HAL's faltering brain! I've talked myself into seeing it again, I see.

The early eighties were marked by many such high concept experiments, some already listed. Another one was Walter Murch's admirable RETURN TO OZ. I loved it as a visionary extravaganza but I had to wonder how they got the financing for this often bleak and disturbing big budget Disney movie.

This post has been edited by James Cheney on Nov 18 2010, 05:18 PM
Brian Camp
Posted: Nov 18 2010, 04:40 PM

Mobian Rock Star

Member No.: 125

Another take on this subject:

Is Disney Scared to Release 'Tron' on Blu-ray?

I've never seen TRON myself. And I was into all the high-profile sci-fi releases back then. Don't know why I skipped TRON. Probably no interest in any of the computer graphics. The idea of entering a videogame didn't appeal to me back then and doesn't now. Unless it's anime. Speaking of which, has anyone here seen SUMMER WARS? It came out last year in Japan and is due for a limited theatrical release in the U.S. before coming out on DVD. About a multi-generation extended family of internet game players in a rural mountain town in Japan who form a united front against an internet entity wreaking havoc on the real world. Exciting, funny, suspenseful, beautiful, fun for the whole family. Saw it with an audience of subtitle-reading kids at the New York International Children's Film Festival last February at which the startled director appeared and did a lively Q&A with the audience. Quite an experience.

P.S. The English-dubbed version of SUMMER WARS is playing at Asia Society in Manhattan tomorrow (Sat. Nov. 20) at 1PM, although the email I got today says it's almost sold out.

This post has been edited by Brian Camp on Nov 19 2010, 01:09 PM

--------------------
William D'Annucci
Posted: Nov 18 2010, 05:50 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 111

Much like with Scott Pilgrim, there seems to be a need to qualify age and video game/cultural exposure in relation to Tron. Let's say I was alive and roughly the right age when it came out, along with a daily diet of Atari games going back a couple years before that summer. I went to see Tron and thought it was okay, but it certainly was an "also ran" in a summer that offered E.T., Poltergeist, Star Trek II, etc. It looked cool and the action scenes made me want to play video games. But the Tron-world costumes looked silly even to my young eyes. And, outside of Jeff Bridges and David Warner, none of the actors or characters did anything for me. My memories of the plot combine with Twilight Zone Magazine's review that said the love scenes were "strictly popsicle time". I never played any of the Tron games that were targeted at me, as I was content with Atari Surround (remember that one?).

But The Black Hole? I loved every cheesy moment of it. We already discussed this in the "What have you been watching" Thread, but that one hit me at the precise right age. Maximillian the bad-ass robot! Dizzy, swirling John Barry score! Roddy McDowall the smart-ass robot! Ernest Borgnine playing a schmuck! Anthony Perkins playing scrambled eggs for Maximillian! A weird-ass ending that forced my Mom to quickly think on her feet trying to explain it to me! Thanks, Disney!
Marc McCloud
Posted: Nov 24 2010, 04:53 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 552

I order thousands of titles a year, but I could have sworn that there was a blu-ray slated to come out in December.

I have to agree that the original film was just ok, but I am getting a little excited about the sequel.
Mike Thomas
Posted: Nov 24 2010, 06:59 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 256

QUOTE (William D'Annucci @ Nov 18 2010, 05:50 PM)
I went to see Tron and thought it was okay, but it certainly was an "also ran" in a summer that offered E.T., Poltergeist, Star Trek II, etc. It looked cool and the action scenes made me want to play video games. But the Tron-world costumes looked silly even to my young eyes. And, outside of Jeff Bridges and David Warner, none of the actors or characters did anything for me.

This.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0871 seconds | Archive