Mobius

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

PROHIBITION, new Ken Burns doc
Lisa Larkin
Posted: Oct 1 2011, 07:36 PM

Mobian

Group: Members
Member No.: 356

Anyone else planning on watching this? I am endlessly fascinated by Prohibition -- how it came into being and the long-term ramifications of it [e.g. the rise of organized crime]. We still have dry counties around the US, which is amazing to me. I thank the gods that I live in a decidedly wet county, with 37 breweries at last count.
Bob Cashill
Posted: Oct 2 2011, 07:09 AM

Mobian Rock Star

Member No.: 88

Will be watching. Evanston, IL, was dry when I went to Northwestern; you had to take the El to Howard Street and cross the street to imbibe. (It's "wet" now.)

--------------------
Wade Sowers
Posted: Oct 2 2011, 09:30 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 58

I've ordered the Blu-ray which comes out Tuesday - endlessly fascinating historical period, DVD Savant's review makes this one a must for me . . .

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3660proh.html

This post has been edited by Wade Sowers on Oct 2 2011, 09:32 AM
Brian Camp
Posted: Oct 2 2011, 12:46 PM

Mobian Rock Star

Member No.: 125

Why is the DVD coming out so close to the program's premiere? Does PBS not want people to actually, y'know, watch it on TV? unsure.gif

--------------------
Wade Sowers
Posted: Oct 2 2011, 01:35 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 58

Just a short time ago, I read a book called LAST CALL -

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Call-Rise-Fall-...17583789&sr=1-1

- which seems to cover a lot of the same ground as the documentary. Quite good, but I thnk I will enjoy the show even more. Yes, Brian, they do seem to be bringing this one out rather quickly, perhaps they figure it is a different audience, or a show so fine people will out-of-control impulse online immediately to purchase the program so they can stick it on the shelf for future viewing, share with their circle of friends, bequeath to their children. I think PBS does this now and then as the recent ZEN mystery series was out on Blu in a matter of moments after the PBS run ended - I think DOWNTON ABBEY appeared pretty fast as well (in the uncut British version?).

This post has been edited by Wade Sowers on Oct 2 2011, 02:00 PM
Mark Tinta
Posted: Oct 2 2011, 03:22 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 687

QUOTE (Brian Camp @ Oct 2 2011, 06:46 PM)
Why is the DVD coming out so close to the program's premiere? Does PBS not want people to actually, y'know, watch it on TV? unsure.gif

THE WAR and THE NATIONAL PARKS were the same way. They were out on DVD, I think, the Tuesday after the last installments aired.

--------------------
Lisa Larkin
Posted: Oct 2 2011, 03:57 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 356

The last episode of PROHIBITION airs Tuesday night, so the disc actually precedes the end of the series by a few hours. cool.gif

I think Wade is right. They want to strike while the iron is hot and get you to buy on impulse.

On a local note, my brother just pointed out a new brewery in my neighborhood [right across the street from another brewery] that is reviving the brand of a Prohibition era brewery: Aztec Brewing Company. The original Aztec opened in Mexicali, Mexico during Prohibition and moved north of the border after Prohibition was repealed.

http://www.aztecbrewery.com/aztechistory.html

That San Diego Historical Society photo gallery of early breweries is very cool:

https://www.sandiegohistory.org/collections...ery/brewery.htm

Love the "Patrons outside saloon at 14th and K Streets, 1887" photo.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0454 seconds | Archive