Mobius

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Mobius. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Please Support Our Mobius Affiliates
| Adult DVD Empire | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | buy.com | DVD Empire | DVDPlanet.com | RBCMP3.com | YesAsia |

Pages: (6) « First ... 4 5 [6]  ( Go to first unread post )

Fox goes MOD, With MGM titles
Bob Cashill
Posted: Nov 18 2011, 03:06 PM

Mobian Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 88

December titles include BUSTING, THE MAGNETIC MONSTER, and (I guess) the 1961 SOMETHING WILD.

--------------------
Wade Sowers
Posted: Nov 18 2011, 03:58 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 58

Yes, sadly, they must be running out of Edward L. Cahn titles, although Siodmak's THE MAGNETIC MONSTER (1953) helps to make up for the omission . . .

This post has been edited by Wade Sowers on Nov 18 2011, 04:01 PM
John Black
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 12:21 AM

Mobian

Member No.: 99

Two that interest me are HOUSE OF A THOUSAND DOLLS (Vincent Price, George Nader, Martha Hyer), which I hope will be in 2:35-1, and the Columbia swinging singles comedy FOR SINGLES ONLY (Mary Ann Mobley, Lana Wood, Chris Noe, and Milton Berle).
Wade Sowers
Posted: Feb 5 2012, 02:48 PM

Mobian

DVD Savant pointed out the WA will now offer MGM/MODs:

http://www.wbshop.com/MGM/WAMGM,default,sc...984&PID=4176304
Bob Cashill
Posted: Mar 2 2012, 07:27 PM

Mobian Rock Star

More MGM MOD-ness in March, including--Wade Sowers alert!--more CAHN.

1950’s and 1960's

Pharaoh’s Curse (1957) - Archaeologists in Egypt discover one of their crew has been turned into a blood-sucking mummy after they unintentionally unleash a three thousand year curse by entering Pharaoh's tomb. Stars Mark Dana, Ziva Rodann, Diane Brewster. Directed by Lee Sholem.
Vice Raid (1959) –1950's "sex bomb" Mamie van Doren plays a hooker who is called to help frame a cop whose good work has been giving the mob a tough time. Things get more interesting when her younger sister is thrown into the mix. Stars Mamie Van Doren, Richard Coogan. Directed by Edward L. CAHN.
Sergeant Deadhead (1965) – Girl-shy/accident-prone Sgt. Deadhead (Frankie Avalon) accidentally goes into orbit with a chimp! When they return to Earth after their orbit, it is discovered that the chimp has the brains of the astronaut, and the astronaut has the brains of the chimp. Complications ensue. Stars Frankie Avalon, Deborah Walley, Cesar Romero, Fred Clark, Gale Gordon, Eve Arden, Reginald Gardiner, Buster Keaton. Directed by Norman Taurog.

1970’s

Pieces of Dreams (1970) – A young Catholic priest begins to have doubts about the Church when he meets a social worker and falls in love. Stars Robert Forster, Will Geer, Lauren Hutton. Directed by Daniel Haller.
Underground (1970) – An American intelligence agent attempts to kidnap a top Nazi general. Stars Robert Goulet, Daniele Gaubert, Lawrence Dobkin. Directed by Arthur H. Nadel.
The Million Dollar Rip-Off (1976) – Comedian Freddie Prinze plays an ex-con who happens to be an electronic genius. Along with four young women, he sets out to rob the Chicago Transit Authority payroll. Stars Brooke Mills, Freddie Prinze, Christine Bellford. Directed by Alexander Singer.

1980’s

Cocaine: One Man's Seduction (1983) – In a frightening portrait, Dennis Weaver plays the man-next-door who gets trapped in the insidious web of cocaine addiction. As his dependency takes over his entire life begins to crumble. Stars Dennis Weaver, Karen Grassle, Pamela Bellwood. Directed by Paul Wendkos.
Pray For Death (1985) – A gentle Japanese immigrant endeavors to quietly run a business in America. When gangsters refuse to leave him alone, he reveals that he is in reality, a highly skilled Ninja master. Stars Sho Kosugi, James Booth, Donna Kei Benz, Norman Burton, Parley Baer, Kane Kosugi, Shane Kosug. Directed by Gordon Hessler.
Modern Girls (1986) – Three young ladies who are looking for love begin to realize that their friendship is more important than romance. Stars Cynthia Gibb, Virginia Madsen, Clayton Rohner, Daphne Zuniga. Directed by Jerry Kramer.
Right of the People (1986) – When the wife and daughter of District Attorney Christopher Booth are among ten victims shot to death during an attempted robbery of a restaurant, the citizens are stunned and outraged. As a result, the town votes to allow a mass arming of the community. Stars Michael Ontkean, Jane Kaczmarek, Billy Dee Williams, John Randolph, M. Emmet Walsh, Jamie Smith Jackson. Directed by Jeffrey Bloom.
Samaritan: The Mitch Snyder Story (1986) - Mitch Snyder, portrayed by Martin Sheen, successfully convinces city officials to deal with the problems of the homeless. Stars Martin Sheen, Roxanne Hart, Cicely Tyson. Directed by Richard T Heffron.
Saving Grace (1986) - A down-to-earth Pope tries to balance bureaucratic duties of his position with the secular world. Frustrated with his lack of freedom he flees to the Italian countryside to get in touch with real people and get back to helping them out one-on-one. Stars Tom Conti, Fernando Rey, Edward James Olmos, Giancarlo Giannini, Erland Josephson. Directed by Robert M. Young.
Viper (1988) - A young woman's husband is murdered by a band of Middle Eastern terrorists. However, her investigation uncovers a CIA military plot against an Arab nation tied to his death. Stars Linda Purl, James Tolkan, Jeff Kober, Chris Robinson, Ken Foree, David Sterling. Directed by Peter Maris.
Lost Angels (1989) - Beastie Boy Adam Horovitz plays a troubled teen who is sent against his will to a psychiatric clinic which is filled with kids who are in much worse shape than he is. Donald Sutherland plays a compassionate psychiatrist who is the sole sympathetic voice in this teenage "snake pit." Stars Donald Sutherland, Adam Horovitz. Directed by Hugh Hudson.
The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989) - Sergeant Major Hafner leads his recon patrol on a hellish trek through enemy territory, encountering the Viet Cong and fighting for their lives as they wait for rescue from the army. Stars R. Lee Ermey, Wings Hauser, Robert Abevalo, Gary Hershberger, Albert Popwell. Directed by Brian Trenchard Smith.

1990’s and 2000's

Vietnam, Texas (1990) – Father Thomas McCain learns that he fathered a child during his tour of duty in Vietnam, and she’s in the custody of the most powerful gangster and drug runner in Houston's Little Saigon. The priest goes up against a brutal network of thugs, pushers and killers to reclaim his daughter. Stars Robert Ginty, Haing S. Ngor, Tamlyn Tomita, Tim Thomerson. Directed by Robert Ginty.
Fish Don't Blink (2002) - A young couple, on the run from the mob, take refuge in a run-down desert restaurant. However, they soon find out that the crazy dysfunctional family running the place is worse than the Mafia! Stars Lea Thompson, Richard Grieco, Wil Wheaton, Tonie Perensky, Dee Wallace-Stone. Directed by Chuck DeBus.

--------------------
Marty McKee
Posted: Mar 2 2012, 09:15 PM

Mobian Idol

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 19

Oooooooh, it's quite possible MGM will release the uncut version of PRAY FOR DEATH. That would be interesting.

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
Marty McKee
Posted: Mar 17 2012, 10:10 PM

Mobian Idol

I thought I read somewhere that 1961's RING OF FIRE with David Janssen was getting the MGM MOD treatment. I didn't see it in this thread though. Am I wrong about that?

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.
Wade Sowers
Posted: Mar 18 2012, 08:53 AM

Mobian

Just returned from a trip to find this news about VAN DOREN MEETS CAHN - about time these two got together.
John Black
Posted: Mar 18 2012, 10:51 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 99

I would welcome a MOD release of RING OF FIRE, but Marty's mention of it is the first I've heard.

Regarding Mamie Van Doren, I hope that Warner will get around to GIRLS TOWN (1959) someday.
Marty McKee
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 03:35 PM

Mobian Idol

QUOTE (John Black @ Mar 18 2012, 10:51 PM)
I would welcome a MOD release of RING OF FIRE, but Marty's mention of it is the first I've heard.

I think I may be confusing this with EDGE OF ETERNITY, which is an MOD release through the Warner Archive. I love both of these B-movies, but have never seen either letterboxed.

--------------------
Miles Wood
Posted: Mar 20 2012, 07:10 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Marty McKee @ Mar 20 2012, 03:35 PM)
I think I may be confusing this with EDGE OF ETERNITY, which is an MOD release through the Warner Archive. I love both of these B-movies, but have never seen either letterboxed.

EDGE OF ETERNITY isn't one of Siegel's very best films but the widescreen DVD is pretty essential for appreciating what it has to offer.
Bob Cashill
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 10:37 PM

Mobian Rock Star

Took a look at PRAY FOR DEATH today. Sources say it runs 92 minutes; the MOD disc (clean transfer, anamorphic WS) runs 94, but not knowing the film I don't know if it's uncut.

--------------------
William S. Wilson
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 08:13 AM

Mobian Idol

Member No.: 8

QUOTE (Bob Cashill @ Mar 28 2012, 10:37 PM)
Took a look at PRAY FOR DEATH today. Sources say it runs 92 minutes; the MOD disc (clean transfer, anamorphic WS) runs 94, but not knowing the film I don't know if it's uncut.

My friend Tom recently wrote about the uncut version. The two biggest differences are in the death of Kosugi's wife in the hospital and a shootout in a restaurant. If it has the scenes he described in the link below, then it is uncut.

http://originalvidjunkie.blogspot.com/2012...k-pray-for.html

--------------------
Bob Cashill
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 10:30 PM

Mobian Rock Star

It's the cut version. Oh, well. I was hoping for a REVENGE OF THE NINJA surprise. Still, it's got to be best-quality edition of the cut version around.

This post has been edited by Bob Cashill on Mar 29 2012, 10:33 PM

--------------------
Wade Sowers
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 02:24 PM

Mobian

DVD Savant on Edward L. Cahn's VICE RAID (1960) - first Dave Kehr and now this, makes you wonder if a Cahn season at the Film Forum or some fashionable New York museum will be coming soon . . .

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3849raid.html

This post has been edited by Wade Sowers on Apr 4 2012, 02:28 PM
Bob Cashill
Posted: May 17 2012, 07:57 PM

Mobian Rock Star

June titles include the worthwhile THE OUTSIDE MAN (72), in what I trust will be its first truly watchable video incarnation, Gordon Willis' controversial one-shot as director, WINDOWS (80), and the slasher NEW YEAR'S EVIL (80).

--------------------
Eric Cotenas
Posted: Jun 12 2012, 07:46 PM

Mobian

Member No.: 286

I checked out MGM's disc of HAUNTED SUMMER. Looks like an old video master with matted credits, but is otherwise fullscreen and interlaced. Not a good film by any means (especially compared to Ken Russell's treatment of the same material), but it is certainly deserving of remastering. It is gorgeously shot by Giuseppe Rotunno and features costumes by Gabriella Pescucci and sets by John Huston's regular production designer Stephen Grimes (Huston was originally set to direct, but Ivan Passer ended up with the job). It also has one of Christopher Young's great early orchestral/synth scores (which at least sounds good on the DVD).

MGM also has not included the trailer, which I recall seeing on some other videotape release years ago.

--------------------
Follow me on Facebook. For Twitter-er-ers. Check out my CineVentures Blog. Review Archive: A-Z.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (6) « First ... 4 5 [6] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1089 seconds | Archive