InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to High Elf Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Defenders of Ulthuan

Sword Masters, What I want to see done to them.
Whirlwind
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 11:54 PM

Nothing is forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten.
Group Icon

Group: Phoenix King
Member No.: 128

Hello all,
although this idea is not matured in any sense (much like me) I will still share it. After reading the stories (old and new) I really feel Sword Masters are incorrectly portrayed as a full sized unit. In every tale they always seem to range from 1-20 warriors even in full sized battles with units hundreds strong. Even in the recent Graham Mcneil books in the big battle they only were a few.

What I want is for each one to be a semi-character similar in style and size to what the Skaven Triads were back in the Storm of Chaos lists. Sword Masters could skirmish, to take flanks, bodyguard Mages (Wow fancy that!) and generally be a nuisance.

Each one is supposed to be arguably one of the finest warriors alive and having them in/just above the chaos warrior league seems to contradict that. In the incarnation I suggest they should have 2 wounds a piece, WS 6, 3 attacks (minimum) and some kind of rules to give them more survivability (I know skirmish would help a bit from BS attacks). Perhaps a lazy 5+ dodge from anything ward save? Or maybe bring back the classic 1- hit/shoot with a 6+ ward for dodges too?

I know this idea is flawed and unfinished to say the least but I just think they need to be semi-characters and not rank and file. Doing this to them free's up the White Lions and Phoenix Guard to be developed and taken in directions to really blossom and stand out!

Thanks,

--------------------
May 2005 Interforum AOD

user posted image
strewart
Posted: Jan 27 2012, 03:37 PM

Eternal slave to my own forum
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

I quite like that idea actually. GW did a decent job in this edition of making all our special infantry playable, but I feel there isn't a lot of difference between WL and SM. PG do a different role, but even then the overall unit layout is similar as well.

If SM became skirmishers, I suppose akin to Wardancers but much better, then PG could take the role of an anvil unit (very hard to kill, hard to break through), and WL could be the hammer unit. All would be even more unique and have their own roles in an army depending on what your playstyle wanted.
Whirlwind
Posted: Jan 28 2012, 05:07 AM

Group Icon

Yes that is what I was thinking. Between Lions and PG we get many bases covered. I just love the idea of Sword Masters as the warrior legends the stories depict them as. They are the Jedi's of Ulthuan! They are messengers, bodyguards, questers and infiltrators of spies. They are supposed to be 'one on one' a match for a bloody Druchi Assassin!!!

--------------------
May 2005 Interforum AOD

user posted image
ZeltArruin
Posted: Jan 30 2012, 11:10 AM

Wandering Tactician

Group: High Council
Member No.: 135

I think that would be pretty darn fun, to have a small, killy, elite unit. Maybe bring back Dragon Princes riding Drakes for a rare choice, too. Monsters are popular and what not now. I'll think about some points and special rules for these theoretical Sword Masters.

--------------------
~ZA
Whirlwind
Posted: Feb 1 2012, 09:49 PM

Group Icon

Fantastic, I look forward to your input.

--------------------
May 2005 Interforum AOD

user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | High Elf Revision and Rumours | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Active User Color Legend
Admin | Super Moderator | Intrigue at Court Master | Member

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0583 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring Free Domain Names @ .co.nr!