InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to High Elf Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Defenders of Ulthuan

my 1000pt army
Malatith
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 02:24 PM

Archer

Group: Elvish Warriors
Member No.: 717

This is my 1000pt army list (using 7th ed rules) any tips would be great

Noble
Barbed elven steed
lance -130
amour of caledor

mage
lv2 -180
dispell scroll and guardian phoenix

10 archers-110

14 spearmen
Full command - muso -123

6Dragon princes
full command - muso -170

lion chariot-140

5 shadow warriors -80

reapeter bolt thrower-100

Total 996

--------------------
ZeltArruin
Posted: Jul 30 2010, 09:37 AM

Wandering Tactician

Group: High Council
Member No.: 135

If we are talking 7th ed, allow me to make a few suggestions.

1. Don't bother with mages, they are over priced and underpowered. If you are concerned about magic defence, know that your offense is defence, and kill your opposing mages.

2. Ranged attacks are rather weak, I would take min core of 10 archers and take the rest special/rare. This includes bolt throwers, but mostly because mine always under-perform.

Well, that's it actually. Dragon Princes are always awesome, consider the Ellyrion Standard for extra fun. Shadow Warriors are tasty as well, even if they never do well for me, I like them.

--------------------
~ZA
Malatith
Posted: Jul 30 2010, 10:31 AM

Archer

My army is mostly based on what I have at the moment, my gaming group think that you get bad luck for having un painted models and more bad luck for having proxy, I love dragon princes so I'm keeping them like you said, what should I replace the mage with?

--------------------
ZeltArruin
Posted: Jul 31 2010, 08:49 AM

Wandering Tactician

Group: High Council
Member No.: 135

Bad luck, huh? I don't believe in luck. My group uses proxies all the time, no one cares as long as they know what's what. We play armies we don't own all the time, as we have every book for fantasy and 40k.

A bsb maybe? I am not sure, it depends on what you have.

--------------------
~ZA
Malatith
Posted: Jul 31 2010, 11:53 AM

Archer

We don't really care either, most of my models are proxies.

Besides all I have there I have 5 Pheonix guard one very badley damaged dragon and I'm making a noble.

--------------------
zippo!
Posted: Aug 2 2010, 11:26 AM

Spearman Champion

Member No.: 697

get rid of the archers, replace with more spearmen or another RBT. Ten archers aren't going to help you much.
Dodo
Posted: Aug 2 2010, 05:09 PM

Dragon Prince Champion
Group Icon

Group: Inquisitor
Member No.: 469

Hi, let me disagree with my predecessors a bit.

If we are talking about 7th edition, in larger scale games, the magic would not help you much. On the other hand, in smaller games, both magic and shooting are very effective. I, for one, would be for keeping the mage, but would change his equipment to something more offensive - Ring of Fury comes to mind. Add a Silver Wand if you wish and you have 4 PD to cast your spells + another spell that will cost an opponent 1-2 DD when he acknowledges its presence in the list. Select a lore according to your choice, but preferably with cheap direct damage spells (Fire, Death) and kill a lot. In games of this scale, units are very small, so a magic missile or two will help you in getting the upper hand.

I would keep the archers, together with the RBT they can cause enough damage to cause one additional panic test a phase or totally erase some weaker unit (fast cavalry comes in mind).

Now, to the other units:

- shadow warriors are nice models (you know, the old metal ones at least), but do not think they can do any damage to the opponent. I still play them, even if there was not a single battle where they killed their cost in points. They are good at hindering opponent's movement and worrying his warmachines (just don't tell the opponent they are totally lame :-) ), or when they are at least two elves stronger, as a bodyguard for your mage (Line of sight and all that).
- dragon princes - good choice. I also like the models, they got me to Warhammer and HE at the first moment, they are worth their price. Just use them wisely, because this will be your only unit capable of some damage. I would consider givong them Ellyrion Banner as a nasty surprise for the opponent.
- lion chariot - I don't think this is a good choice. It looks strong on the paper, but in 7th edition, it is very vulnerable to damage. Try to count it - 10 dark elf x-bows in one round can shoot 20 shots on fives and fives, you have a save on 5+. This means approximately 1,5 wound caused in a round. They will have at least two chances to shoot, which leaves you with only one wound. Like it? I do not... Not speaking of instant autokill by S7 attacks - Empire and Dwarfs have cannons, Orcs and Bretonnia have catapults, a lot of armies can use heroes or the like with S7 (and they will use it if they can). Durability under these conditions is in doubt, and it is 140 points wasted in one shot/hit.
- RBT - no objections here.
- Spearelves - they have their uses, so no objections either.
- Noble - the setup you are proposing is clearly wrong. You can have the same save and strength for much less - take Noble, barded steed, dragon armour, lance and shield for 113 points. He has 2+ save and immunity to fire attacks still, but is almost 20 points cheaper. Armour of Caledor is best used on models on foot or seated on large monsters like dragons. Or, If you want, make the hero for your army on foot, so he will have the same save and same strength attack not just in the first round of combat - just take noble, Armour of Caledor and Great weapon (118 points). Still cheaper than your's hero.
But, I wouldn't bother with a noble in the first place. My choice would be the mage, and for combat strength, I would use my favorite combination, Dragon Prince champion with the Helm of Fortune. That way, he has nice 1+ save that can be rerolled, the same three attacks, albeit only at S5, and the same mobility. For 1000 points game, it is enough.

And one point more - the points calculated for some units are wrong. To begin with, Dragon Princes with Standard Bearer and Champion (If that is what "Full command - muso" means) are worth 220 points, not 170. Also, the spearmen with this numbers and command options taken would cost you not 123, but 146 points.

--------------------
Results record 8th edition (W/D/L) - to the 10-09-07
New HE: 2/4/2
Malatith
Posted: Aug 2 2010, 05:53 PM

Archer

I thoght I added some thing up wrong, when doing the spear elves I found myself adding instead of multi plying, thanks.

This post has been edited by Malatith on Aug 2 2010, 05:55 PM

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | High Elf Army Lists | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Active User Color Legend
Admin | Super Moderator | Intrigue at Court Master | Member

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0735 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring Free Domain Names @ .co.nr!