zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to High Elf Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Defenders of Ulthuan

Dragon Archmage 2500, A List Building Log
Malleus
Posted: Jul 2 2012, 07:25 PM

Spearman

Group: Elvish Warriors
Member No.: 748

So I have a tournament coming up in the next few months and want to take something spectacular with me, for this I am thinking an Archmage on Dragon would be a fantastic centrepiece, not entirely sure how I will be dealing with the tactical outcomes of this list but I do know that I will need to build the list around this character. This is what I am thinking so far.

Archmage - 620
Level 4, Foraliaths Robes, Dragonbane Gem (for when I give this guy 5+ regen)
Lore of Life

Noble - 167
BSB, Barded Elven Steed, GW, Dragon Armour, Shield, Helm of Fortune

High Mage - 165
Level 2, Seerstaff of Saphery (Spells dependant on Opponant)

30 Archers - 355
Mus, Std, Banner of Eternal Flame

12 Archers - 137
Mus

12 Archers - 137
Mus

9 Dragon Princes - 300
Mus, Std

10 Swordmasters - 150

20 White Lions of Chrace - 368
Mus, Std, Banner of Sorcery

Great Eagle - 50

Great Eagle - 50

2499 Points

Right then

Archmage - I am hoping that this guy acts as a Anvil/Tarpit and the fact that it's a dragon will also mean that I have the opportunity to take on regenerating gribblies with a breath weapon! Alternatively i'll try dodging cannon balls until I can get into a nice juicy flank and combine charge with the below

BSB - Joins the Dragon Princes, nice 1+ re rollable armour save to keep him going and GW attacks to stop the rubber lance syndrome to a certain degree

Mage - Hand Piks spells from High Magic, mostly 5+ ward, Flames and Drain Magic to make things difficult, plus gives me something else to set fir eto regenerating units (I have seen the rosters of a few people's armies)

Archers - I like them, plus flesh to stone on them is funny to see them stick around for a long long time

Dragon Princes - with BSB helps out the Dragon Archmage

White Lions - Needed something that I could use with little or no magical support and also somewhere to place the +D3 power dice banner

Swordmasters - On mop up duty, clearing chaff ect

Eagles - nuisance and bail out duty

As for magic, obviously the key is to keep the Archmage running for as long as possible so have gone for Life as only two spells do not directly affect the Dragon and Rider (Dwellers- which is still going to be useful and awakening the wood which is situational at best but could be handy for those Bretonnian skirmishing archers in a wood)

This post has been edited by Malleus on Jul 2 2012, 07:41 PM

--------------------
strewart
Posted: Jul 2 2012, 08:23 PM

Eternal slave to my own forum
Group Icon

Group: Phoenix King
Member No.: 1

Foralaith's Robes are for models on foot only, so the archmage on dragon cannot take them... I'd at least give him a 4+ ward save.

To be honest, I don't think a mage on dragon is a particularly good combo. You want the dragon in combat as quick as possible and for as long as possible, while you want the mage as far away from combat as possible. Maybe go for a prince on dragon if you want a centrepiece?

The other drawback since this is a tournament army is that you may find your force split. The dragon will be moving forward quickly, as will the dragon princes. The WL and SM will be heading for combat too, but a bit slower. The archers will be holding a long way back. You of course can work around this by using one of the combat forces as flankers or possibly even using the dragon as more of a support role to get behind the lines and hunt warmachines while casting support magic, then rear charge for combat res where needed. But be aware of making sure your army works together as one force rather than 3 seperate forces.
Malleus
Posted: Jul 2 2012, 08:50 PM

Spearman

Bugger I always overlook something

Ok swich the equipment to the 4++ and Dispel scroll

I thought about Prince on Dragon but has been done and quite effectively, hence the move to Arch Mage. I got a few games lined up this week so I'll see how they go before I make any radical changes.

Spiltting the force does worry me slightly, but as always will have to come up with a plan to mitigate the attacks, even if it comes to a shuffle off with units to get the right match up

Archmage - 620
Level 4, Talisman of Preservation, Other Tricksters Shard
Lore of Heavens

Noble - 167
BSB, Barded Elven Steed, GW, Dragon Armour, Shield, Helm of Fortune

High Mage - 165
Level 2, Seerstaff of Saphery (Spells dependant on Opponant)

30 Archers - 355
Mus, Std, Banner of Eternal Flame

12 Archers - 137
Mus

12 Archers - 137
Mus

9 Dragon Princes - 300
Mus, Std

10 Swordmasters - 150

20 White Lions of Chrace - 368
Mus, Std, Banner of Sorcery

Great Eagle - 50

Great Eagle - 50

2499 Points

This post has been edited by Malleus on Jul 2 2012, 09:37 PM

--------------------
Malleus
Posted: Feb 19 2013, 02:08 AM

Spearman

Ok so I have played this list with a few tweaks here and there for roughly 6-7 months and have had mixed success (50-50) which is fairly good for something that just should not work.

Here is the latest incantation of the list:

Archmage 615
Level 4, Lore of Life, Moon Dragon, Talisman of Endurance, Dispel Scroll, Dragonbane Gem

Noble 167
Battle Standard Bearer, Barded Elven Steed, Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Shield, Helm of Fortune

Mage 165
Level 2, Lore of Shadow, Seerstaff of Saphery

39 Spearmen 366
Musician, Standard Bearer

12 Archers 137
Musician

12 Archers 137
Musician

21 Swordmasters of Hoeth 348
Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness

9 Dragon Princes of Caledor 300
Musician, Standard Bearer

7 Silver Helms 162
Shields, Musician

Great Eagle 50

Great Eagle 50

2497 Points

The Dragon is a fantastic support piece, generally the first few turns are spent getting the Dragon into cover/away from cannons and setting up a series of charges with the Dragon Prices, Swordmasters and the Silver Helms.

The Archers don't tend to get left behind as once they have cleared enemy chaff I use them to redirect enemy units (taking a unit of SOBU's out of the game on a fiar few occassions!)

For a long long time I really struggled to get White Lions to work in this list before eventually packing them up and getting a unit of Swordmasters, this unit paired with a Dragon/Cavalry unit in the flank really upsets an opponents plans.

People generally over look the Silver Helms in amongst all the other goodness of the high Elf book, i think that they deffinately have a place in this list clearing warmachines in tandem with the Dragon Archmage before turning inwards and getting rear charges on leadership bunkers

--------------------
strewart
Posted: Feb 19 2013, 12:00 PM

Eternal slave to my own forum
Group Icon

Group: Phoenix King
Member No.: 1

Thanks for the update. I am indeed surprised that you can go so well with an archmage on dragon and some silver helms! Looks like a fairly difficult list to use, but there is certainly merit in using the same list over and over to get used to it and find its strengths and weaknesses.
Malleus
Posted: Feb 19 2013, 05:34 PM

Spearman

The Archmage build is something that I have wanted to try for quite a while now and am glad that I finally have a chance to give it a run out. Ironically enough the lists that I thought I would struggle against (Dwarve Gunline) are the ones that this list excels against, mainly due to the fact that a lot of Trolls, Hellpits and Hydra's are in my local meta so the Dragonbane Gem is a great purchase against those flaming cannons/flaming missile units.

The list is not easy to use, it is definately a case of picking the correct target, typically that massive unit with the flaming banner is a great place to protect my Dragon Archmage.

I'm taking this list to a local tournament this weekend (ahead of my Lizardmen) so have arranged a couple of games against some of the better players so hopefully I should be able to write up some battle reports in the near future

This post has been edited by Malleus on Feb 19 2013, 09:31 PM

--------------------
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | High Elf Army Lists | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Active User Color Legend
Admin | Super Moderator | Intrigue at Court Master | Member

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0270 seconds · Archive
Warvault Webring Free Domain Names @ .co.nr!