Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to High Elf Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Defenders of Ulthuan

Which core choices do you take!!
scubaelf
Posted: Mar 15 2010, 04:48 AM

Spearman

Group: Elvish Warriors
Member No.: 536

I have a conundrum which two core choices do i take
2 units archers
2 units spearmen
2 LSG
or a mixture of the 2
1 archer and 1 spearmen
1 archer and 1 LSG
! LSG and 1 spearmen
aaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

thanks
confused

--------------------
Quote from criti
And if none of what we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. (think about it, it'll blow your mind).
zippo!
Posted: Mar 15 2010, 11:21 AM

Spearman Champion

Member No.: 697

I ussually go for 2 big blocks of spearmen, lothern sea guard are worth it for their points and archers.....well unless your going for a heavy ranged army arn't going to be much use either.
strewart
Posted: Mar 15 2010, 11:38 AM

Eternal slave to my own forum
Group Icon

Group: Phoenix King
Member No.: 1

Zippo, you mean aren't for the seaguard not are?

Seaguard can be very good especially when doing a stand and shoot, but when you think about it no one in their right mind is going to charge them anyway unless they have frenzy. So yes they are a bit overpriced.

I find spearmen very much worth taking now, so I would stick to 2 units of them.
zippo!
Posted: Mar 15 2010, 05:12 PM

Spearman Champion

Yes I mean not are and I never thought about using thir stand and shoot.....that combines with martial process would be incredibly devistating....
Whirlwind
Posted: Mar 15 2010, 06:29 PM

Nothing is forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten.
Group Icon

Member No.: 128

Also I am fond of 2 units of 10 archers put into 5 x 2 formation. I then place them alongside other infantry as a rip off of the empire detachment idea. It is not a brillant method but they actually are quite decent little strength 3 strike 1st flankers lol.

--------------------
May 2005 Interforum AOD

user posted image
Dodo
Posted: Mar 15 2010, 06:51 PM

Dragon Prince Champion
Group Icon

Group: Inquisitor
Member No.: 469

I usually take 2 units of archers, 10 men strong - nowadays, I'm playing very fast armies mostly, and infantry does not fit in the scheme as it is two rounds late at the battle. Archers can protect RBT's from fast cavalry or take out some wounds from monsters, amount of shooting even at crappy S3 is worth the try.

In infantry armies, 2 units of 23-24 spears with characters deployed 6*4 are my favorite, but even then, I still add a unit of archers to the mix.

--------------------
Results record 8th edition (W/D/L) - to the 10-09-07
New HE: 2/4/2
strewart
Posted: Mar 15 2010, 07:45 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (zippo! @ Mar 15 2010, 06:42 PM)
Yes I mean not are and I never thought about using thir stand and shoot.....that combines with martial process would be incredibly devistating....

If you have a 7x3 unit, you are looking at 28 attacks at the opponent if they charge you, which is nothing to sneeze at. The problem, of course, is opponents will not charge. But controlling the sky (ie. shooting) is very very useful. You can stand directly in front of a unit, and if they don't charge... Well, you just sit there and shoot at them. Sure it won't do much, but if you knock off a rank and their numbers, it is very handy and there isn't a lot they can do except resign themselves and charge. This is just from theory though, I found that they didn't quite fit into my list.
zippo!
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 03:49 AM

Spearman Champion

QUOTE (strewart @ Mar 15 2010, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (zippo! @ Mar 15 2010, 06:42 PM)

If you have a 7x3 unit, you are looking at 28 attacks at the opponent if they charge you, which is nothing to sneeze at. The problem, of course, is opponents will not charge. But controlling the sky (ie. shooting) is very very useful. You can stand directly in front of a unit, and if they don't charge... Well, you just sit there and shoot at them. Sure it won't do much, but if you knock off a rank and their numbers, it is very handy and there isn't a lot they can do except resign themselves and charge. This is just from theory though, I found that they didn't quite fit into my list.

I may just have to try this, if it works I'll post it here...now off to get 3*7 sea guard!
hackslice
Posted: Mar 21 2010, 08:06 PM

Militia

Member No.: 698

I also would go for the two units of spearelves, been toying with Idea about using seaguardin units of ten as flanking surport.
strewart
Posted: Mar 21 2010, 10:13 PM

Group Icon

I have thought about that, and if they fired in 2 ranks as they were meant to I would definitely take 2-3 units of seaguard moving up with my units, shooting as they go in 2 ranks, then flanking. It would be great support. But, for the points, you really might as well just use a small unit of spears as flanking support. 5 shots a turn on the move aren't going to do much for the extra cost. Or you could go all out and use SM or WL and get some extreme hitting power rather than basically nothing.
ZeltArruin
Posted: Mar 22 2010, 04:59 AM

Wandering Tactician

Group: High Council
Member No.: 135

I find all of our core really a burden. I dislike taking any of them, as they are pretty much free points for my opponent. Usually I take two units of ten seaguard with shields, or a unit of ten spearmen, and often their only goal is to hold table quarters, a task they generally fail at.

--------------------
~ZA
hackslice
Posted: Mar 22 2010, 09:36 AM

Militia

Member No.: 698

QUOTE (strewart @ Mar 21 2010, 10:13 PM)
I have thought about that, and if they fired in 2 ranks as they were meant to I would definitely take 2-3 units of seaguard moving up with my units, shooting as they go in 2 ranks, then flanking. It would be great support. But, for the points, you really might as well just use a small unit of spears as flanking support. 5 shots a turn on the move aren't going to do much for the extra cost. Or you could go all out and use SM or WL and get some extreme hitting power rather than basically nothing.

I dont like archers very much, dont get me wrong they have there uses but they just dont work for me, a unit of ten seaguard with a ch and mu can charge with 11 attacks into a flank or if they are charged they almost act like a unit of 15, 5 bow shots and 11 spear attacks and without shields they are only 10pts more, or the same cost if archers have light armour.
I know I lose the range of the bows but i think its a good trade off. And I dont think they will attract as much attention as sword masters or white lions.
Menkeroth
Posted: Oct 9 2014, 11:56 PM

Archer

Member No.: 807

I'm starting my host now with Lothern Sea Guard and they will be my core choices. And maybe Silverhelms as well if I will be able to convert them from other elvish (of any kind) cavalry smile.gif

--------------------
When you face the overwhelming odds, as long as your faith and combat spirits stay with you, you are not defeated.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | General Elf Discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Active User Color Legend
Admin | Super Moderator | Intrigue at Court Master | Member

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0376 seconds · Archive
Warvault Webring Free Domain Names @ .co.nr!