InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to High Elf Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Defenders of Ulthuan

High Elves vs Dark Elves 2K, Kill em dead.... kinda like this forum
Th3_5had0w_K1ng
Posted: Jan 12 2012, 02:15 PM

Archer

Group: Elvish Warriors
Member No.: 740

Ok while this forum seems to be deader than a VC army, I decided to post a roster to fight against the Dark Elves anyway. The key ingredient to this army is initiative and hatred based. While against lesser races we High Elves always get our re-rolls from ASF, Dark Elves can match us when it comes to high initiative (that means no more re-rolling) but they always re-roll due to eternal hatred. So, without further adeu, a 2K roster.

Lords:
Alith Anar (Moonbow is a Repeater Bolt Thrower and causes panic in DE and he rerolls!)

Prince on foot
-Great Weapon (good for killing tough things)
-Bow of the Seafarer (Another repeater bolt thrower for cheap points)
-Armor of Caledor (good armor save)

Hero:
Level 2 Mage - High Magic
-Dispel Scroll
-Guardian Phoenix

Core:
25 Spearmen-Full Command
25 Spearmen-Full Command

Special:
15 Phoenix Guard-Full Command (high initiative and ward saves)
-Amulet of Fire
-Banner of Eternal Flame

10 Dragon Princes (high initiative and armor saves)
-Musician
-Standard Bearer with Banner of Ellyrion

12 Shadow Warriors (Nagarythe Hatred)

Total points: 1999

With the exception of spearmen, all of these units should get rerolls from either higher initiative or hatred. Black Guard is the only unit I would be scared about. Send the dragon princes after them and they should clean up nicely.

The phoenix guard should be sent after the hydra (assuming they bring one). The banner of eternal flame doesn't allow the hydra to regenerate. Put the prince with them (great sword and stand and shoot reaction).

I never bring spearmen in less than 5 ranks. Martial Prowess makes up for their costly price. 4 ranks of spears is hard to ignore. Makes them even scarier. Use them as sponges against corsairs.

Send the shadow warriors after anything scary like the cauldron or just use them as archers. Alith Anar will be with them so I wouldn't worry about them. Don't let them get too close to the elites though.

Well, let me know what you think. Ill have an update once I play it but in theory I think it sounds good.

This post has been edited by Th3_5had0w_K1ng on Jan 12 2012, 02:19 PM
strewart
Posted: Jan 12 2012, 07:04 PM

Eternal slave to my own forum
Group Icon

Group: Phoenix King
Member No.: 1

It looks like a pretty decent list overall. I'd probably downgrade the prince to a noble though. Princes are pretty expensive and still quite fragile even with good armour, a nble will provide pretty much the same role except a lot cheaper. You won't be able to fit the bow, but I'm not really sure it will kill a lot anyway.

Actually bolt throwers tend to be expensive for what they do, but one could be useful against DE since they will die pretty easily and they are expensive for each model. Probably would even make its points back in kills if nothing targetted it in the first turn or two. It might be worth dropping a DP or two to bump the PG unit up a bit too. DP are very effective even with 8 models (I use them 6 across with two in the back to absorb wounds and give a support attack if they make it that far) and PG will benefit from being a bit larger since their role is to stick around as long as possible.
Th3_5had0w_K1ng
Posted: Jan 13 2012, 01:51 AM

Archer

My take on repeater bolt throwers: too expensive. I rarely bring them because long range they need a 4+ to hit (50% of the time). I hate bringing them with BS4 because if I roll to hit and miss, those points wasted a rank of phoenix guard or Sword Masters I could've taken.

Since the Prince is in the unit of phoenix guard (going after the hydra) I wanted the bow to cause the D3 multiple wounds. If I can bring the hydras wounds down before actually getting into close combat, it makes him much easier to kill. However, I could bring a noble and spend the extra points on more phoenix guard. Good point.

Since the dragon princes have the same initiative against black guard, I wanted those extra few to absorb the rerolls the dark elves get from eternal hatred. I run them 6x4 so I know that they can run them down.
strewart
Posted: Jan 13 2012, 02:40 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Th3_5had0w_K1ng @ Jan 13 2012, 03:21 AM)
My take on repeater bolt throwers: too expensive. I rarely bring them because long range they need a 4+ to hit (50% of the time). I hate bringing them with BS4 because if I roll to hit and miss, those points wasted a rank of phoenix guard or Sword Masters I could've taken.

I never use the single shot bolt, I always use multishot. That way you have 3 hitting on average (and remember, with 48" range close range tends to happen by turn 2, if not turn 1) and wounding with 2-3 of them. I agree they are overpriced warmachines, but as I mentioned... Multishot into t3 low armour high cost troops is quite effective.
Th3_5had0w_K1ng
Posted: Jan 16 2012, 02:00 PM

Archer

So I knocked down the prince to a Noble. Gave him the armor of caledor and helm of fortune for a rerollable 2+ armor save with a great weapon.

I added one more dragon prince to run 6x5. That black guard is vicious and I'm not taking chances. Id send one spearmen unit and the dragon princes after them.

Total Phoenix Guard is 20. They should last quite a while with 4 ranks.

Total points: 2000 exactly
strewart
Posted: Jan 16 2012, 04:43 PM

Group Icon

That looks good. Good luck with the battle!

Do you think it is worth running two full ranks of DP? The ones in the second row do lose an attack each plus the horse attacks for being back there, and DP are pretty expensive per model. I like having a couple back there so they are still effective when they hit combat, but if you are taking 10+ would you maybe be better with two units instead of 1? I don't know since I've never tried taking a unit of cavalry that large, and I guess since you have the plan of attacking executioners they are going to get in easier with 1 unit, but worth considering both options.
ZeltArruin
Posted: Jan 18 2012, 11:28 AM

Wandering Tactician

Group: High Council
Member No.: 135

Wouldn't attacking executioners be exactly what the dark elf player would want? They are good at killing units like Dragon Princes, small numbers with high armor saves, you might be setting them up to die, rather than strike down their foul kin.

--------------------
~ZA
Th3_5had0w_K1ng
Posted: Jan 19 2012, 04:52 AM

Archer

I don't like bringing small units of heavy cav. In a unit of 5, if two die they are basically rendered useless and have to take a panic test. Large units of cav with 2+ armor save have good survivability (better than small units).

True, executioners and black guard are deadly against small units (thanks to killing blow). The key is to flank them. Generally they wont break (stubborn) so you have to wipe them out. front charge with spearmen, flank charge with dragon princes. This gives a total of 37 attacks combined. Pretty hard to survive that.
Ijiasu
Posted: Feb 14 2012, 04:56 AM

Militia

Member No.: 745

You get rerolls if your INI is = OR higher. I believe most of our units match up as the same initiative as our dark brethren. I know spearmen both have 5.

So while they may get Hatred rerolls the first round, we get them every round. (actually they may have eternal hatred vs us, haven't read their rule book in a while)

Thats why Nagarythe Hatred is kinda pointless in 8th, unless of course you are throwing them at things with higher ini. But they are quite fragile and get outshot by DE.

What you might want to consider is the Standard of Balance, to neutralize the common frenzied Corsair unit. It also makes you ItP, so no pesky fear/terror tests. The only downside is that you cannot flee from charges while ItP.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | High Elf Army Lists | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Active User Color Legend
Admin | Super Moderator | Intrigue at Court Master | Member

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0428 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring Free Domain Names @ .co.nr!