Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Game Maker Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Welcome to Wolf Dreamer's Forum. The worlds first electronic mental asylum.

The dream must come to fullfillment. I believe the correct path finally lies before me. Help me, join me, together we will become strong enough to slay anything that stands in our way, and we will emerge from this great struggle victorious at long last!

So come on in and enjoy. And never hesitate to post. Everyone here is really nice and as helpful as they can be. Please don't hesitate to join us. We do not tolerate any snobs or jerks, so we're totally newbie friendly and randomness is encouraged.

And please remember to take the poll to see what type of people dwell here.

We are not here to discourage your dreams, just to point you in the right direction, a map on all the difficult areas to cross on their way to the finished goal. Journey with us, and rise to embrace your destiny!  Game Maker Forum->Game Maker General->Personal Interaction

Rise of Nation Thrones and Patriots sucks, reasons why
Wolf Dreamer
Posted: Jan 13 2010, 06:18 PM

Relentless Seeker
Group Icon

Group: Lord of all penguins
Member No.: 1

I read the good reviews and I'm wondering why.

While looking around the Wikipedia, finding interesting things to read, I happened upon an article for the game. I then went and downloaded the trial version.

I played it several times, winning most of the time, but sometimes being cheated of my victory by the random places of resources.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/riseofnatio..._resources.aspx list all the resources randomly chosen to place around the map, and what they do.

Notice how some lower the prices of certain units.

Horses reduce the Cost of Stable units, salt reduces the cost of barrack units, Aluminum makes airplanes go faster and be cheaper, rubber makes units at the auto plants(tanks) cheaper, etc? And if you get coal, then everything that cost timber, which most things do, is cheaper. Plus all the other bonuses allow you to make more money selling things at the market, have largest borders for greater tax revenue, severe economic bonuses in one form or another, cost of research dramatically reduced allowing whoever finds it to level up through the ages much faster and out-tech their enemy, etc.

Its just way out of balance.

No matter how well you play, or what you do, if your enemy happens upon the right bonuses early on, they are going to win soon enough.

I believe the horses was half price all horse units at the stables. Imagine if you could produce cavalry troops for the cost of infantry, only of course they move faster and are much stronger. Well, you automatically won, able to overwhelm your enemy with ease.

A bucket of oranges make ships magically repair themselves at sea, the fur from a seal makes all military technology cheaper, be it the one that upgrades horse riding archers into tanks, or the upgrade to make nuclear missiles more powerful. Bet you didn't know you needed fur for that.

Then you have the Wonders giving ridiculous bonuses to whoever builds them first. If you build the terra cotta one, it makes three guys with slings magically appear from the clay, every 30 seconds I believe it is. Later on when you upgrade them from slings to guys with guns, hey, you just got a massive army there, free of charge.

There are no walls in this game. No way to slow the enemy down, they able to just rush through your community, doing hit and run raids to kill your peasants, and destroy your economy.

Every mountain can be mined, they all having the resource known as "metal" in them. If the randomly generated terrain of the map has one side with mountains all about, near trees and other resources perhaps, then an unfair advantage is given. Your enemy places one city within range of trees and a mountain. You can not find any mountains with trees nearby, so you end up needing two cities to tap those resources. Perhaps there are trees or mountains farther out from your city, somewhere in your nation, and you can build there, and hopefully not have an enemy ride by and slaughter your helpless citizens. But the lumber mill and smelter give a bonus to production of wood and metal, and they can only be built in a city's limit.

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Personal Interaction | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2155 seconds | Archive
Been to the official Game Maker forum lately?

Over here we're never too busy to speak to you. So come on in, and enjoy a nice, relax, laid back community. We have penguins.