Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Galindas Wardrobe. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Dressmakers mannequin
HotCrossBun
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 03:00 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 122

Where do you get them? i'm making the bubble dress and it's hard to see what it will look like on a table xD

If someone could point me in the right direction, then i would greatly appreciate it! smile.gif
Elphaba'sCostumer
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 04:38 PM

Group: Admin
Member No.: 13

joanns. or if you really wanna spend the money i would get an industry dress form.

--------------------
user posted image

HotCrossBun
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 04:48 PM

I'm in the uk and i don't think we have joanns over here ):

are they all over america? because my friend lives in San Francisco and i could get her to buy me one...
Ira the Wise
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 05:39 PM

Member No.: 74

no, you also can get mannikins in the uk. try a local fabric store, they might have one for sale or at least know where you can get them.
Otherwise there are uk-websites of which you can order them.

p.s. it's still soooo unfair that the uk doesn't have a joanns.

--------------------
Sequins ...... *sigh*
Belle
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 05:42 PM

Member No.: 64

You can get them in the UK! John Lewis have them... they're pricey things tho, around 100. If you can splash the cash for one, go for a fully adjustable one in a small-ish size - it's easy enough to pad them out but you can't make a large one smaller.

If you're looking second hand, and are lucky, look out for a non-adjustable dress form, http://www.xpb66.dial.pipex.com/index.shtml Kennett and Lindsell are the industry standard make. Again, get a smaller one and pad it out to your size, you can do more that way.

A dummy is a brilliant thing, so, so useful! It means you can really see what you're doing, take a step back and see it from a distance, get the overall look of the costume... and you can store stuff draped on it!

--------------------
###Belle###
There is no such thing as too shiny!
HotCrossBun
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 06:41 PM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help (:

and i think i'll spend 100 on sewing materials wink.gif and also, is it worth getting an overlocker?
xx-Glinda-Girl-xx
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 08:44 PM

Member No.: 69

eBay!!!

--------------------
user posted image

Perhaps there's something there that wasn't there before.

Thanks to DefyingGravity for the gorgeous banner x
Belle
Posted: Feb 8 2009, 10:12 PM

Member No.: 64

Have you used one before? An overlocker is a wonderful, difficult, scary, brilliant machine. They're brilliant for making your sewing neat, strong, and professional looking. But they're tricky to thread, get the tension right, and when they go wrong it's expensive to get them repaired. And an industrial one can cut your finger off. And because they cut as well as sew, any mistakes are quite hard to fix, you can't just unpick it! Brilliant machine tho.

Whether it's worth it is up to you - it depends how much sewing you do, how much wear and tear what you make goes through....

--------------------
###Belle###
There is no such thing as too shiny!
HotCrossBun
Posted: Feb 11 2009, 12:49 PM

i used one in school last year, and it scared me to pieces, so i'll stick to doing the zigzag stitch on my sewing machine wink.gif

thanks for the tip! (:
Ladymapper
Posted: Oct 16 2009, 09:44 PM

Unregistered

I just found an idea for making your own Custom Dressform

As I've been making my Elphaba Act II dress I've wished I had a dressform so I could see what the pattern would do on an actual body. However I wasn't going to shell out the money to buy an adjustable dressform that didn't match my own (changing) body. Today I came across these wonderful ideas for making your own custom shaped dressform.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3659/c...tting-assistant

Basically you just wear an old T-shirt and have someone wrap you in several layers of duct tape, or gummed paper tape using shorter strips for the curvy areas. Then cut up the back to get it off and stuff it with batting (or newspaper)

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a wonderful custom & cheap idea to try.
Ira the Wise
Posted: Oct 17 2009, 07:35 AM

Member No.: 74

Keep in mind that if you make on of duct tape, it will also smell like duct tape.

--------------------
Sequins ...... *sigh*
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Quick Reply

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0845 seconds | Archive