fishpondinfo.com

Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Fishpondinfo. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The 50/50 Tank - Kenny's Venture Into Brackish!, 3gal Eclipse
kENNY
Posted: Jul 27 2009, 09:24 PM

Unregistered

Hello Again! I bought a 3gal Eclipse a while back for my friend's betta [before realizing how sick he was & euthanized him] & leopard cory [was going to get 2 more]...

but it ended up going into storage...well, my friend has an AWESOME 3gal Eclipse that he likes...so, I'm going to try a hand at mine...only with Brackish...Inhabitants will be 3 Bumble Bee Gobies & 1 Fiddler Crab...There will be Java Ferns, Java Moss, Vallis, & Crypts. [Meaning the water will be on the lower end of the salty spectrum...more towards FW]...

Wish me luck!! For sure gonna be a fun tank to own!!
Jayesh
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 06:45 AM

Fishy Connoisseur

Group: Banned
Member No.: 499

Err, good luck.
Fiddler crabs are predators and in a 3 gal I'm not sure the gobies would be able to evade them.

By 50/50 you mean there's going to be land in the tank right?
In a 3 gal that reduces the water capacity even further.

As for plants why don't you try some small mangroves? They can be kept in marine, freshwater and brackish but they are probably too big for a 3 gal.

--------------------
Fishpondinfo Chat Room
Current Tanks and Ponds: Community Tanks: 30 gal, 2x 60 gal.
Biotopes: 150 gal, 70 gal, 55 gal (soon to be). Coldwater: 50 gal, 40 gal. Nano: 3x 5 gal, 2x 1 gal, 3 gal, 7 gal, 4 gal. Marine: 15 gal, 45-65 gal (soon to be). Koi (and big fish): 5000 gal, 2000 gal (soon to be). Native fish: 200 gal. Wildlife: 150 gal. Tub: 30 gal, 50 gal, 100 gal, 20 gal, 10 gal. Goldfish: 1000 gal. Herps: 40 gal, 5x 10 gal, 20 gal, 30 gal, 2x 8 gal.
kENNY
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 10:28 AM

Unregistered

I did something bad....I boxed back up the 3gal & ordered a 6gal [eclipse] to use instead...There will be a few mangrove plants [we have them around here..but I *THINK* they are endangered and don't want to play with that...] and some Mopani wood going in & out of the water....

as for the fiddler crabs, THIS PAGE says they are not agressive and so far to say they are fry friendly!

EDIT: No by 50/50 I meant Brackish. lol -- It will have some air space though that the mopani sticks into & the fiddler can use.
Jayesh
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 10:53 AM

Fishy Connoisseur

Group: Banned
Member No.: 499

Have you treated the mopani to get rid of the tannins it leaches (just dumped it in a bucket or something and left it for 2-3 weeks)?
You wouldn't want it leaching it in that tank, fiddler crabs and bumblebee gobies (although with the latter not always as there are two species in the hobby, both are identical and cannot be told apart even by experts) won't like that as they (obviously) like high GH and pH.

What's the SG of the tank? 1.005? Any higher will be detrimental to the plants and bumblebee gobies...

Fiddlers are fry friendly? I wonder what these guys are doing then!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diBs_wyWmE0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLLo--oBfk
I know youtube is full of a bunch of idiots who don't know how to care for fish - but these crabs DID hunt down and kill two medium-sized fish - a cory and a goldy.

--------------------
Fishpondinfo Chat Room
Current Tanks and Ponds: Community Tanks: 30 gal, 2x 60 gal.
Biotopes: 150 gal, 70 gal, 55 gal (soon to be). Coldwater: 50 gal, 40 gal. Nano: 3x 5 gal, 2x 1 gal, 3 gal, 7 gal, 4 gal. Marine: 15 gal, 45-65 gal (soon to be). Koi (and big fish): 5000 gal, 2000 gal (soon to be). Native fish: 200 gal. Wildlife: 150 gal. Tub: 30 gal, 50 gal, 100 gal, 20 gal, 10 gal. Goldfish: 1000 gal. Herps: 40 gal, 5x 10 gal, 20 gal, 30 gal, 2x 8 gal.
kENNY
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 11:49 AM

Unregistered

Yeah something like that...SG 1.005

I don't have the Mopani...but that's what I was going to do...this tank isn't on the Priority list...so, I have time to "play" with it.
Robyn
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 01:32 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

That sounds like a challenging tank both as far as potential inhabitants and the tiny tank size. I too would not get the crab.

--------------------
Robyn, Analytical Chemist, Zone 6/7, Maryland
Servant to 5 cats, 2 rabbits, 3 guinea pigs, 3 chickens, 1 redbellied turtle, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, 2 six-spotted roaches, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds. A mostly full list of my current animals is at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/animals/animallist.htm

fishie.gif ribbon.png
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
http://www.pondshowcase.com
fish expert
Posted: Aug 2 2009, 03:06 AM

Unregistered

i used to hav a few gobees bumbee
kENNY
Posted: Aug 6 2009, 11:02 AM

Unregistered

I opted to use the 6gal as my CPD/FW Goby holding tank till I get my ADA Mini-S Tank...

I've decided to use my 29gal as a Divided Puffer Tank [Since I want a GSP & a F-8] and I'm going to put the Bee's in with the Figure 8[not named].

kENNY
Mr-cichlid
Posted: Dec 6 2009, 12:21 PM

Fishy Member

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 5,370

QUOTE (kENNY @ Aug 6 2009, 11:02 AM)
I opted to use the 6gal as my CPD/FW Goby holding tank till I get my ADA Mini-S Tank...

I've decided to use my 29gal as a Divided Puffer Tank [Since I want a GSP & a F-8] and I'm going to put the Bee's in with the Figure 8[not named].

kENNY

Wouldn't a divided puffer tank be potentially problematic, primarily because the puffers prefer different SGs? I was under the impression that Figure 8 preferred SG of around 1.005 and Green spotted liked it way up in 1.015 up to 1.025.
« Next Oldest | Aquariums | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0816 seconds | Archive
Visit http://www.fishpondinfo.com!