fishpondinfo.com

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Fishpondinfo. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pictures From My Garden
Arey
Posted: Jul 14 2009, 06:23 PM

Super Fishy

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,935

Some pictures from my garden

user posted image
Purple coneflower, butterfly weed, gloriosa daisy, and in front the whte flower is a weed I like. The gloriosa daisies are self seeding, and I just pull up the ones I don't want. This is the border in front of my front porch, and it almost never gets watered, and never fed.
user posted image
Balloon flower and drumstick alliums. The green stalk to the left rear is one of my height challenged sunflowers, thanks to the long rainy Spring.
user posted image
Drumstick alliums, Nigella (Love-in-a-mist if you like romantic names and Persian Jewels if you like exotic names) and Johnny-Jump-Ups (Viola tri-color if you like scientific names). The Nigella selfseeds like crazy, and the seeds are also used in Indian cooking. The Johnny-Jump-Ups also selfseed, but not as abundantly. In Fall, the Nigella has weird looking seed pods.
user posted image
Sea Holly
user posted image
How many flagrant violations of basic garden pond maintenance rules can you find in this picture?
laugh.gif

--------------------
Career Varlet (ret.) Often wrong, and usually uncertain.
One Burmese Cat , Bryn Barishnakatt, who's been trying to tell me something ever since I got him 7 years ago but I haven't the least idea what it is.

One 940 gallon raised liner pond. It's 30 years old and still evolving.
Very windy So. Jersey barrier island. Zone 7 coastal.
sabrillo
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 01:43 AM

Super Fishy

Member No.: 5,290

Wow, I really like the orange flower (butterfly weed(?)) and the blue flower (Love in the mist(?). Did I get them right? I'll have to see if I can get them here ...next year. Are they perennials?

anitapond
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 05:02 AM

Fishy Lover

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 5,210

Arey, the pond looks gorgeous along with your flowers! VERY nice!

--------------------
500 gal. pond
Home to comets, sarasas, shubunkins, some frogs, and the rest of the wildlife refuge that I can't keep away
RIP my best friend - a Chocolate Lab 09/05/85 - 05/21/11
Zone 5 in Lake Effect Snow Belt Northeastern Ohio
Whenever my 2 young sons are looking for me, their father says "Check by the pond!"
Route3drummer
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 05:57 AM

Fishy Connoisseur

Member No.: 1,681

Beautiful!
Can I have your coneflower? LOL....I have zero luck with those!

--------------------
Derrick......no Ma'am, we're musicians.
100 gallon pond connected to 900 gallon pond by stream/falls housing 14 Gold Fish/Shubokuns/Sarassa/Comets. 29 gallon tank housing 4 albino cory's, 2 pepper cory's, 8 glow light tetra's, 4 black neon tetras, 6 black skirt tetras, 1 dwarft guarami, 3 platy's and 1 huge mystery snails. 5 gallon tank housing 1 male betta and 3 pepper cory's.
Robyn
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 06:34 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

You've got some neat flowers!

--------------------
Robyn, Analytical Chemist, Zone 6/7, Maryland
Servant to 5 cats, 2 rabbits, 3 guinea pigs, 3 chickens, 1 redbellied turtle, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, 2 six-spotted roaches, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds. A mostly full list of my current animals is at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/animals/animallist.htm

fishie.gif ribbon.png
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
http://www.pondshowcase.com
Rosiemeadow
Posted: Jul 15 2009, 07:52 PM

Fishy Connoisseur

Member No.: 126

Very nice pond & garden flowers Arey!

--------------------
Arey
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 07:42 AM

Super Fishy

Member No.: 2,935

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures, and thank you for the compliments. After seeing Rte 3 Drummer's pictures I'm even more displeased with my point and shoot digital camera than I was before. However, a Canon digital SLR camera isn't in my budget for this year.

As for the flowers, I've found that coneflowers tend to be choosy, and do well in my hot dry front boarder, but in my back yard which spends most of Winter and Spring cool and soggy, neither they or the Butterfly weed (the bright orange flower) do well. The Butterfly Weed is a member of the milkweed family, and in the Fall when the seed pods open I usually take handfulls of the seed and strew it about where I'd like more of them. They're a perennial, with a long taproot, and don't take to being transplanted in my experience. I'm trying to establish a small dry butterfly plant bed, so year before last, I planted several rows of their seeds in the Fall. Last Spring about 8 actually germinated (they don't flower in their first year), and of those 8 only 4 came up this year.

I've transplanted coneflower from where they want to be to where I want them to be, but they don't last long. They selfseed in the strangest places, such between flag stones.

The blue flower, Nigella, is an annual which selfseeds so generously that in following years all you have to do is pull up the ones you don't want. When started from seed you've bought they come in pink, white, and blue, but after selfseeding they eventually revert to their original blue color.

--------------------
Career Varlet (ret.) Often wrong, and usually uncertain.
One Burmese Cat , Bryn Barishnakatt, who's been trying to tell me something ever since I got him 7 years ago but I haven't the least idea what it is.

One 940 gallon raised liner pond. It's 30 years old and still evolving.
Very windy So. Jersey barrier island. Zone 7 coastal.
« Next Oldest | Gardening & Landscapes | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 1.1769 seconds | Archive
Visit http://www.fishpondinfo.com!