fishpondinfo.com

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Fishpondinfo. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Self Cleaning Pump Filter
frogman3
Posted: Mar 16 2009, 08:58 PM

Super Fishy

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,439

I actually found a pump pre filter in the Aquatic Eco catalog that is self cleaning. New one on me... it uses some of the pumps water to flush the crud off. Not sure if it works but if it does what a time saver!!!!! Anyone tried it????
https://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/16...p-Filter/pf65/0

--------------------
One preform pond aprox 100 gallons with Bullfrogs & Goldies.care2frog.gif
Two additional ponds, one is 1000 gallons connected by a stream
to the second 7000 gallon pond.
With Sarassa's, Golden Orfe, Bitterlings and a few fresh water clams,
Zone 6, Southwestern, Ohio fishie.gif
Maestro loco
Posted: Mar 16 2009, 09:29 PM

Unregistered

Haven't tried it and never saw one of those before. I'd like to know if it works, too. For sixty bucks, it had better work.

Don
Otter
Posted: Mar 16 2009, 09:30 PM

Fishy Lover

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,046

Interesting, but what happens to the crud that gets flushed off? With a barrel filter, it gets washed away out of the pond. But it looks like with this thing, debris will just keep coming back to the pump until you take care of it the old fashioned way. Am I missing something?
Maestro loco
Posted: Mar 16 2009, 10:26 PM

Unregistered

What's a barrel filter? Is that a type of settling tank?

Don
Otter
Posted: Mar 17 2009, 01:58 AM

Fishy Lover

Group: Full Members
Member No.: 2,046

Sorry, the only barrel filters I know about are filters made from old barrels. I meant rotary drum filter
http://www.koipondfiltration.com/RDF.htm
Broxandval
  Posted: Mar 17 2009, 04:29 AM

Daveandval

Member No.: 4,124

Hi Otter
I would hazzard a guess that with each flsh flush the dertitus would break down just that little but more until it is fine enough to enter the filter. smile.gif
rgrds
broxandval fishie.gif

--------------------
Weve been Keeping Koi now for 26 year's we have 20 Koi, 1 orfe. We have a russian blue type cat with while leg markings white chin etc called Pepsi and the cutest young boy cat, Jet black in colour (who has two tails) called Jack.
A growing collection of fishy art and Badger/Otter/Dolphin/koi fine art prints.
Collection of Figurines/Plates/Cups/Slates/Clocks all of them are Badger/Otter/Cat/Dolphin
Collect Benaya koi tiles.
Large Library of Koi/Koi/Fish Health Books plus another Library of Tropical Fish/Fish Health Books.
Member of the Koi Magazines Koi Hall Of Fame.
Our deceased cat family:-
RIP Suki 2005-2013
RIP Dusty 1990- 2008 RIP Dillon 1997- 2010
RIP Sammy 1989-2007 RIP Baby 1991-2006
RIP SpookyII 1995-97 RIP Spooky 1990-95
Time Zone GMT

Note:-
Vals birthday 19/3/59

http://xat.com/FishPondInfo
tlc
Posted: Mar 17 2009, 09:48 AM

Fishy Connoisseur

Member No.: 1,276

QUOTE (frogman3 @ Mar 16 2009, 06:58 PM)
Anyone tried it????

So Froggy, are you going to buy one and let us know how well it works? rolleyes.gif
Tia
KoiKrazy
Posted: Mar 17 2009, 10:10 AM

Fishy Connoisseur

Member No.: 1,843

I don't know about this contraption, but I wouldn't personally want to try it! Definatley haven't seen one before so it was a cool link to look at. Might be okay in a little pond???
Robyn
Posted: Mar 17 2009, 01:51 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

It looks like some of the pump output is always flowing back out where the filter is. That would reduce the intake suction but there would still have to be more in suction that out flush. It looks like the mesh is really, really fine so, in my pond at least, it would clog almost instantly. I doubt it would work better than a standard pump and certainly not as well as one with a more coarse intake.

--------------------
Robyn, Former Analytical Chemist, Zone 6/7, Maryland
Servant to 4 cats, 2 rabbits, 3 guinea pigs, 3 chickens, 1 redbellied turtle, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, six-spotted roaches, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds. A mostly full list of my current animals is at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/animals/animallist.htm

fishie.gif ribbon.png
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
http://www.pondshowcase.com
frogman3
Posted: Mar 17 2009, 02:08 PM

Super Fishy

Member No.: 2,439

My oldest pond, a small preform, has little giant pump with a filter box with bio balls attached to the water inlet which is always been a pain in the a** since all the dirt, plant parts all get sucked into the filter. It requires cleaning which requires draging everything out probably every two weeks which I don't do that often. Which limits the amount of fish I can keep in this pond. angry.gif

What I plan on doing in this pond is building a skippy style upflow filter which sits outside the pond. The pump will still sit in the pond, probably a mag drive pump (which does not handle solids well). This is where I see an application for this device. Otherwise if I use just a regular inlet screen I can invision it clogging or passing something that might possibly damage my pump. That's why it caught my eye when I was scanning my new catolog.

As KK said it's for use in a small pond because in a large pond you would normaly have a skimmer which has screen and leaf backet to stop all the unwanted stuff from getting sucked into the pump.

--------------------
One preform pond aprox 100 gallons with Bullfrogs & Goldies.care2frog.gif
Two additional ponds, one is 1000 gallons connected by a stream
to the second 7000 gallon pond.
With Sarassa's, Golden Orfe, Bitterlings and a few fresh water clams,
Zone 6, Southwestern, Ohio fishie.gif
« Next Oldest | Pond Maintenance, Setup, and Building | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0618 seconds | Archive
Visit http://www.fishpondinfo.com!