fishpondinfo.com

Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Fishpondinfo. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pond Turtle Questions, proper habitat ?
norman
Posted: Nov 30 2007, 07:29 PM

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,142

We would like to purchase turtles for our new pond in Long Island, NY. We have waterfalls leading into the pond and the actual pond is 2-3 feet deep. It is freshwater and in our backyard.
1. What kind of pond turtles would be good to buy especially if they stay in the pond all winter?
2. Would the turtles stay in the pond or take off?
3. What predators should we worry about?
4. Does it make a difference if we have 4 grandchildren from newborn to age 6 as to which turtles to purchase cause we don't want to have them bite the children?

Any other info. you can give us on this subject would be extremely helpful. We are planning on purchasing them tomorrow Sat., Dec. 1, as well as Koi fish.
Norman
tlc
Posted: Nov 30 2007, 07:48 PM

Fishy Connoisseur

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 1,276

QUOTE (norman @ Nov 30 2007, 05:29 PM)
We would like to purchase turtles for our new pond in Long Island, NY. We have waterfalls leading into the pond and the actual pond is 2-3 feet deep. It is freshwater and in our backyard.
1. What kind of pond turtles would be good to buy especially if they stay in the pond all winter?
2. Would the turtles stay in the pond or take off?
3. What predators should we worry about?
4. Does it make a difference if we have 4 grandchildren from newborn to age 6 as to which turtles to purchase cause we don't want to have them bite the children?

Any other info. you can give us on this subject would be extremely helpful. We are planning on purchasing them tomorrow Sat., Dec. 1, as well as Koi fish.
Norman

Hi Norman and welcome to the board!

Here is a link to Robyn's turtle page:

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtles/index.htm

You may find some useful information there while you are waiting for someone with more knowledge than me [I don't know a thing about turtles]. There are a few "turtle people" that may be on the board later that can answer some of your questions.

Good luck!
AnimalLove
Posted: Dec 1 2007, 08:40 AM

AnimalLove

Member No.: 1,883

Hey Norman!

Without knowing your zone area its hard to tell what turtles you could get. I have a question for you though: How cold is it near you now?: I wouldn't recommend getting any pond animals during the winter, the spring is usually the best time for that.

Your turtles would most likely run away, so it would be a good idea to build a fence around the pond. As for predators, there are humans, raccoons (not so often for me), and a few more, on most cases a fence would protect the turtles, although some birds could still catch your fish.

If your grandchildren leave him/her alone it doesn't really make a difference, if they do decide to pester him, (depending on the type of turtle) he could bite. I would also worry about salmanila (not sure how to spell that)

Remember to get the koi fish large (not the baby 4" ones) if you are going to get them together, they could get eaten or hurt by the turtle(s)

--------------------
200 gallon pond&
30gallon pond
1 cat
1 dog
1 rabbit
1 house gecko, 1 green anole
5 aquariums (2 10 gallons, 1 20 gallon, 1 55 gallon, and many small tanks that I add up to one =p)
Hopefully coming: Bearded dragon and a turtle . Plus always hoping for a saltwater tank and a larger pond =D
Robyn
Posted: Dec 1 2007, 10:02 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Norman, turtles are great! But, they will eat some plants and animals. My page on turtle ponds is at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtles/turpond.htm

I suggest Eastern painted turtles. Red-eared sliders are easiest to get but they also grow larger and like to eat more fish than painted turtles who seem to prefer insect larvae and smaller animals. Sliders also eat more plants.

If the pond is not fenced properly, the turtles will absolutely leave. It seems to be the goal in life of most turtles to "escape."

The main predators for larger turtles are raccoons and dogs. For smaller turtles, add in herons, larger turtles, and other mammals and birds. I would mostly worry about raccoons. I know on the box turtle list to which I belong, people have found their turtles with all legs and head bit off. And box turtles can hide inside their shell unlike aquatic turtles.

Whether you get painted turtles, red-eared sliders, yellow-bellied sliders, red bellied turtles, or some other turtles (you don't want snapping turtles), they will do their best to stay away from people, especially children so physical contact is not likely. If a wild turtle is grabbed, it will bite. Those used to people do not. My turtle has not bitten me but I avoid putting my hands near his mouth in case he mistakes them for some big worm. For the safety of the turtles, avoid handling them. Healthy turtles don't carry salmonella but, just in case, children should not handle turtles and adults should wash up before and after doing so.

Good luck!

--------------------
Robyn, Analytical Chemist, Zone 6/7, Maryland
Servant to 5 cats, 2 rabbits, 3 guinea pigs, 3 chickens, 1 redbellied turtle, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, 2 six-spotted roaches, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds. A mostly full list of my current animals is at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/animals/animallist.htm

fishie.gif ribbon.png
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
http://www.pondshowcase.com
AnimalLove
Posted: Dec 2 2007, 05:28 PM

AnimalLove

Member No.: 1,883

Hey did you get it?

--------------------
200 gallon pond&
30gallon pond
1 cat
1 dog
1 rabbit
1 house gecko, 1 green anole
5 aquariums (2 10 gallons, 1 20 gallon, 1 55 gallon, and many small tanks that I add up to one =p)
Hopefully coming: Bearded dragon and a turtle . Plus always hoping for a saltwater tank and a larger pond =D
« Next Oldest | Animals | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2397 seconds | Archive
Visit http://www.fishpondinfo.com!