fishpondinfo.com

InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Fishpondinfo. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Killer Goldfish, topic says it all
Jennifer
  Posted: Dec 17 2005, 01:53 AM

Unregistered

I have an irregularly sized 28 cent walmart goldfish I had bought 2 years ago. He is huge for a normal gold fish. I seen a koi at walmart for 15 bucks same size as my goldfish now. Its all gold too. Well the first fish we put in there was a beta of course their suppose to be fighting figh well the next day I guess his fight wasnt strong enough and dissapeared from the tank. About a month later we put 2 frogs in the tank also once again the next morning they dissapeared. So, about 2 weeks later we figured we put some big boys in there and put a 7 inch algae eater in the tank and you guessed it the next day it was gone. What Kind of goldfish is this Im raising???????? A common goldfish from walmart eating other fish just uncommon.
Tim
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 02:03 AM

Fishy Lover

Group: New Members
Member No.: 440

im not sure about the fish eating other fish things but the only reason i can think of it being so big is it might have accdentally been sold to you as a goldfish but it was actually a KOI!!! Does it have whiskas?

--------------------
user posted image
  Posted: Dec 17 2005, 02:10 AM

Unregistered

No it looks like a plain old goldfish the heart shaped tail and all
reptileguy2727
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 06:56 AM

Super Fishy

Member No.: 399

how big is it? they can be a lot bigger than people think.
Tommy
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 03:38 PM

Fishy Connoisseur

Member No.: 343

yah have you ever seen an adult before? they are huge, but dont even compare to adult carp and koi.
jennifer
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 04:04 PM

Unregistered

Id say just guessing no about 8 inches long and about 3 1/2 inches wide but Im just wondering why in the world would he eat other fish I feed him 3 times a day
Tommy
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 05:39 PM

Fishy Connoisseur

how big is the tank? i douby he ate the algae eater. the algae eater probably jumped out of the tank or something.
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 06:37 PM

Unregistered

not POSITIVE how big the tank is but it takes almost 2 hours to clean it I know that for a fact. No the algea eater was not on the floor or anything or in the filters or hiding in either of the huge $150 rocks in the tank. But still I have not recieved an answer on why he would still have ate the frogs or beta or other little goldfish....ect
Tim
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 06:42 PM

Fishy Lover

Member No.: 440

i am really not sure sorry jenniffer

--------------------
user posted image
Tommy
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 07:12 PM

Fishy Connoisseur

i wouldnt know why a goldfish would kill like that. it probably harrased the betta though.
Robyn
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 08:34 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Goldfish will eat small animals but are not huge fish-eaters. An 8" goldfish is big but not huge. I have had 14" goldfish in my pond and still have some over a foot long. An 8" goldfish could easily eat any animals that died in the tank. Any of the fish and frogs you had may have died for reasons other than the goldfish itself, and then the goldfish could have eaten them. A small betta and small African dwarf frogs could be bullied to death by a large goldfish who could then consume them. I'm not convinced the fish or frogs didn't simply get stuck somewhere or jump out and then degraded before they could be found. A 7" pleco would not be killed by a goldfish, and he'd have trouble eating one as they have spines. Plecos are adept at jumping out any holes in the lid. If he did that, he would then bounce all over and perhaps end up lodged under something, never to be found (or degraded by that time). If found a paradise fish under our washer half a year after it "vanished."

Anyway, you've found one reason that it's best to keep goldfish with their own species and not mix in other species. Plecos may suck on goldfish; perhaps your guy knew that and beat him to the punch (but I doubt it).

I clean 4 aquariums in 2 hours every week so either your tank is over 100 gallons, or you're not cleaning it very efficiently. My largest aquarium (with fish; I have a 120 gallon with my lizard) is 50 gallons and takes 30-45 minutes at most to clean.

What kind of rocks did you have that were $150? That's a lot for rocks!

As for why a big fish might eat a little fish? Because he can!

--------------------
Robyn, Analytical Chemist, Zone 6/7, Maryland
Servant to 5 cats, 2 rabbits, 3 guinea pigs, 3 chickens, 1 redbellied turtle, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds. A mostly full list of my current animals is at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/animals/animallist.htm

fishie.gif ribbon.png
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
http://www.pondshowcase.com
Posted: Dec 17 2005, 11:54 PM

Unregistered

Their huge rocks like in tropical tanks I guess they were made to make fish think their coral cause thats what they look like to me and oh are them things heavy their about 2 feet tall id have to say on each side of the tank. My ex step fathers friend gave us the rocks. So they were actually free for us but cost him big money smile.gif
Tommy
Posted: Dec 18 2005, 01:06 PM

Fishy Connoisseur

i think the person who bought the rocks got ripped off.
reptileguy2727
Posted: Dec 18 2005, 05:36 PM

Super Fishy

Member No.: 399

they sound huge and may have been made for a saltwater tank and may be about right for huge pieces of coral skelaton.
Tommy
Posted: Dec 18 2005, 07:40 PM

Fishy Connoisseur

was the algae eater the pleco you just got? was the betta the same betta you just got?
« Next Oldest | Animals | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1019 seconds | Archive
Visit http://www.fishpondinfo.com!