fishpondinfo.com

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Fishpondinfo. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Reef Tank 55 Gal
Jayesh
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 10:02 AM

Fishy Connoisseur

Group: Banned
Member No.: 499

My 15 gal is overstocked, and I really wanted to do more with marines, so I am going for a 55 gal with sump and refugium. This is going to be an expensive but I can fund it using some of my savings. This is more of a second priority to the mbuna tank which I have extensively researched (and I have also had a mbuna tank before, thus making things better for me!)

The stocking fish wise would be something like:
1x firefish (from my 15 gal)
3x neon goby (one of which is from my 15 gal)
1x clown goby (one of which is from my 15 gal)
1x blue damselfish
1x ocellaris clownfish (tank-bred)
5x black molly (tank-bred)

I may go higher than this if the tank does well but this will be the main fish.
I will fishless cycle and the first fish will be the black mollies.

As for vagile inverts it will be:
3x Cerith Snails (two of which from the 15 gal)
3x Nerite Snails (one of which from the 15 gal)
1x Turbo snail
2x Astaraea snails (from the 15 gal)
1x Nassarius snail (from the 15 gal)
1x Trochus snail
1x Emerald Crab (from the 15 gal)
3x Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab (one of which from the 15 gal)
2x Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab (one of which from the 15 gal)
2x Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crab (one of which from the 15 gal)
2x Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
1x Electric Blue Hermit Crab
1x Anemone Crab
1x Pompom Crab
4x Sexy Shrimp
1x Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (from the 15 gal)
1x White Shrimp (from the 15 gal)
And some Collonista and Stomatella snails, hopefully they will turn up with live rock

Seems like a lot but it isn't once you see how tiny some of these guys are like the little hermits and snails. Also inverts don't contribute much to the stocking anyway as opposed to fish as they don't produce much waste.

--------------------
Fishpondinfo Chat Room
Current Tanks and Ponds: Community Tanks: 30 gal, 2x 60 gal.
Biotopes: 150 gal, 70 gal, 55 gal (soon to be). Coldwater: 50 gal, 40 gal. Nano: 3x 5 gal, 2x 1 gal, 3 gal, 7 gal, 4 gal. Marine: 15 gal, 45-65 gal (soon to be). Koi (and big fish): 5000 gal, 2000 gal (soon to be). Native fish: 200 gal. Wildlife: 150 gal. Tub: 30 gal, 50 gal, 100 gal, 20 gal, 10 gal. Goldfish: 1000 gal. Herps: 40 gal, 5x 10 gal, 20 gal, 30 gal, 2x 8 gal.
kENNY
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 11:01 AM

Unregistered

With that stocking list expect your mollies dead...they will do GREAT by themselves, but the clownfish are territorial [not to mention the damsel] so they will get bullied to death.

I'd recommend using your 15 for the mollies if you still want them.

Another note is you'll probably NEVER see your clown goby in a 55gal. Too many hiding places...and they are shy...so...yeah
Jayesh
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 11:38 AM

Fishy Connoisseur

This tank hasn't been set up yet, I don't have any of the fish except for the ones in the 15 gal! So I can get rid of the mollies, is a shoal of 5 blue chromis alright?

--------------------
Fishpondinfo Chat Room
Biotopes: 150 gal, 70 gal, 55 gal (soon to be). Coldwater: 50 gal, 40 gal. Nano: 3x 5 gal, 2x 1 gal, 3 gal, 7 gal, 4 gal. Marine: 15 gal, 45-65 gal (soon to be). Koi (and big fish): 5000 gal, 2000 gal (soon to be). Native fish: 200 gal. Wildlife: 150 gal. Tub: 30 gal, 50 gal, 100 gal, 20 gal, 10 gal. Goldfish: 1000 gal. Herps: 40 gal, 5x 10 gal, 20 gal, 30 gal, 2x 8 gal.
Robyn
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 02:21 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I don't suggest the mollies either. They're not an ocean fish but a brackish water fish anyway. Blue chromis are nice. Otherwise, as long as the various crabs and shrimp don't get in to fights, it should be okay.

--------------------
Robyn, Analytical Chemist, Zone 6/7, Maryland
Servant to 5 cats, 2 rabbits, 3 guinea pigs, 3 chickens, 1 redbellied turtle, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, 2 six-spotted roaches, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds. A mostly full list of my current animals is at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/animals/animallist.htm

fishie.gif ribbon.png
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
http://www.pondshowcase.com
kENNY
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 02:30 PM

Unregistered

Sounds fine! smile.gif
Jayesh
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 03:19 PM

Fishy Connoisseur

QUOTE (Robyn @ Jul 29 2009, 02:21 PM)
I don't suggest the mollies either. They're not an ocean fish but a brackish water fish anyway. Blue chromis are nice. Otherwise, as long as the various crabs and shrimp don't get in to fights, it should be okay.

I was going to acclimate them (as a number of people have succeeded in doing so on the internet, turns out when they breed the babies come out ready-acclimated to the marine conditions, and the fish is a fab algae eater) - but didn't know there was such a drastic change of temperament between freshwater/low brackish and marine/high brackish fish and didn't know clowns and damsels were that nasty!

I hope they don't get into fights! I chose small crabs and my emerald mithrax is very docile. I will definitely try some blue chromis instead of the mollies, saves me a week's hassle of acclimating them too!

I'll attempt this setup when I have time. I am intending to sell my zebra plecs when they reach 7cm for around 250 each (or even better try and breed them as babies sell high!) which should help fund the project later on when I'm in the 'adding livestock phase'. Man, affording stuff is hard for someone who doesn't have a job yet (although I will probably end up getting a job once I'm in Uni during which time my parents will have to take care of my fish, and they find them attractive to look at but are totally disgusted at having to feed them, do water changes, etc.)

I will probably change my damsel now as it's a bit boring to have blue damsels in a tank with blue chromis - too much blue!

I feel so annoyed I don't have any books on marine fish, better pick some up soon, can anyone recommend any?

--------------------
Fishpondinfo Chat Room
kENNY
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 04:01 PM

Unregistered

You could have a Yellow Tailed Damsel like I plan too! smile.gif

kENNY
« Next Oldest | Saltwater Aquariums | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0463 seconds | Archive
Visit http://www.fishpondinfo.com!