zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to FWW2. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Developemental history of mod
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 6 2009, 09:26 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Ok this topics purpose is mostly serve nostalagic senses in mod members and show to you new folks how far we have come in 5 years. You're free to comment, criticize, applaud, laugh and have fun. I will be posting pictures of our weapon effords in here: models, textures (not current), screenshots, promo pics. Top of it all most of this stuff is internal forum material that you have never seen wink.gif

NOTE: All these pictures are taken in Oxygen or Oxygen2 and has not been tampered with PS or PSP. Every picture in this topic represents how they actually look ingame. I do not use Blender, 3Dsmax or Lightwave to give better impression of our work than it actually is, every picture is taken on my settings in ArmA (well buldozer).

M/31 Suomi smg
Such an fine SMG, defianently "father figure" of PPSh-41 down to drum magazine. Aimo Lahti would roll on his grave if he would know how we have humilated his master piece rolleyes.gif

Very first model (second weapon model in mod) - 2004
user posted image

First finished textures - 2004
user posted image

Final OFP texture - 2005 - 2006
user posted image
user posted image

Initial ArmA model (OFP import) - 2007
user posted image

Final ArmA model - 2009 (clicky on picture)
user posted image

Next up M/27 Pystykorva!
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 6 2009, 09:51 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

One addition, please dont quote pictures incase you want to use quote.

M/27 Pystykorva rifle (all mosin style rifles included)
Bolt action rifle based on Russian Mosin Nagant, somehow it seems to be common in Finland to take rifles from russia and improve them. What to say about Pystykorva line? Lots trials and errors, until first viable was M/27 and soon actually good M/28-30 by Suojeluskunta made a huge difference. Then came silence until M/39 came out. Note that FWW2 mod hasn't have M/39 since very first model in OFP, why would we? We don't really have need for it yet.

First model and texture for M/28-30 and M/39 (mods first models) - 2004
user posted image

Second texture for M/28-30 - 2004
user posted image

3rd and last OFP texture for M/28-30 - 2005
user posted image

1st ArmA model and texture M/1891 (M/27 was first, but don't have picture of it) - 2008
user posted image

2nd & final ArmA model and texture for M/27 - 2009 (clicky on pic)
user posted image

Tomorrow is time for AVS-36 Simonov
Erasmus
Posted: Jul 6 2009, 11:38 PM

Kersantti

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

What a waste of good work... I mean, it was an shame, because FWW2 mod wasn't released for good old OFP. Take a look those details folks! I have not personally ever seen that good details in any OFP WWII-mods. Really, I'm serious now! And those weapons which are coming for ArmA, are absolutely beautiful notworthy.gif

And oh yes, there will be blood if FWW2 mod won't be released in ArmA for some reason ninja.gif
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 7 2009, 06:43 AM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

QUOTE (Erasmus @ Jul 7 2009, 01:38 AM)
What a waste of good work... I mean, it was an shame, because FWW2 mod wasn't released for good old OFP. Take a look those details folks! I have not personally ever seen that good details in any OFP WWII-mods. Really, I'm serious now! And those weapons which are coming for ArmA, are absolutely beautiful notworthy.gif

On my opinnion work that I made for OFP was horrible in comparison what I have been able to do for ArmA. However in OFP times we had huge aid from such people as b0zo, Hara_Kiri (was a while in ArmA too), Instructor and Skramble, losing them all hurt mod quite badly since their work was prime quality. For instance Instructor gave us beautiful island for OFP, which we really can't port since its not in .pew format.

There has been hope from time to time that OFP project would rise up and be released someday. However it would require dedicated team with people who has limited modelling skills (basic can use copy paste and sorting soldiers in usable level), config skills and with luck somebody who has texturing skills to fill up few models without textures or with WIP textures.

Now if that would happen there would be OFP release, but it wont be happening by actions of FWW2 core members. BTW I44 was by far more detailed as was Libmod too wink.gif

And oh yes, there will be blood if FWW2 mod won't be released in ArmA for some reason ninja.gif

Yes about that. I will be posting some news shortly regarding that subject.
Don't worry mod will continue in ArmA and we will release for it, even if it would take until doomsday.
Erasmus
Posted: Jul 7 2009, 08:08 AM

Kersantti

Member No.: 117

Well I44 and Libmod were nice looking mods, but like I said: I was serious when I mentioned FWW2 to be best detailled. That is my opinion. I just can't understand that quality of textures! Especially in ArmA cool.gif
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 12 2009, 09:27 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

AVS-36 Simonov
Now this is intresting looking weapon and against normal beliefs it wasn't first Soviet automatic rifle. Weapon was capable to fire semi- and full automatic fire. Had almost uncontrollable automatic fire, seized working at sub-zero temperatures and bunch other flaws, one might be puzzled how it managed to win tests against Tokarevs SVT at 1935. It didn't last long and was replaced by SVT-38. Yet it has rather elegant look on it and it was a pleasure to model it for ArmA (Skramble did OFP model).

First OFP model with Pystykorva rifle texture as placeholder - 2004
user posted image

Modified model & first texture - 2004
user posted image

New textures - 2005
user posted image

ArmA model and textures (with horrible Soviet test soldier) - 2008
user posted image

Final ArmA model & texture (aka 2nd version) - 2009
user posted image

Next time something that never gets released.
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 23 2009, 08:25 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Ok, it has been a while. Been sort of busy with other stuff but since I don't have real time to do anything worth while today I post another addition to nostalgy topic.
As promised this time I show something that will never get released by us, so stuff that was deemed as bad ideas rolleyes.gif

MP-18 Bergmann SMG
One of first SMGs and certainly can tell it. Now Finland got quite a few of these through Suojeluskunta, but in so small amounts that its not worth of additional work to include them in mod. It would just postpone pending release.

Bergmann in OFP - 2004
user posted image

And how it finally looked... Nah, thats from sadly cancelled project Finland At War for HL2.
user posted image

FAI Armored car
Original idea was to add fast moving light armored unit for Soviets too, but unfortunantly it never got to ready state when Hara_Kiri got other priority work and then he went to army and we decided that we wont include it in ArmA release.

Last stage of FAI in OFP - 2005
user posted image
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 23 2009, 08:52 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Also as addition to last one, evolution of finnish soldier. I know its not weapon, but I feel its time to expand beyond those borders. Now these are the fellows who crashed our OFP release pretty effectively...

1st soldier based on Inv44's MLODs - 2004
user posted image

1st winter soldier, still Inv44 MLOD - 2004
user posted image

2nd soldier model, self-made and losely based to Libs models - 2005
user posted image

3rd and final OFP soldier model (just when it started to look ok) - 2006
user posted image

1st ArmA model, now remember I made body of this model by myself (I44 face and hands), it took conciderable work to get it work properly in ArmA (you can see fingers are f**ked up) - 2007
user posted image

1st ArmA texture, now I couldn't do UV-mapping at the time becase it was made if OFPs Oxygen which didn't have UV - 2007
user posted image

Final model and texture, still partially WIP (BIS MLOD used as base, complete redo on UV-mapping) - 2008
user posted image

Next time we return to LMGs
WW2mod
Posted: Jul 24 2009, 09:29 AM

Sotamies

Member No.: 123

Nice Pictures Von Rundstedt! happy0064.gif

And who know Banana Phone??? yay.gif

Ring Ring Ring Ring Ring Ring Ring Banana Phone
Ding dong Ding dong Ding dong Ding Banana Phone

I've got this feeling ...
steelexia
Posted: Jul 26 2009, 04:18 AM

Vääpeli
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 125

..So appealing... yay.gif
SRK
Posted: Jul 27 2009, 05:22 PM

Alikersantti

Member No.: 118

Hah, that dancing-banana is from ''peanut butter jelly time''
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 07:13 AM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Somehow this topic seems to steer towards OT, so lets bring it back in line, shall we?

DP-27
Now this was kind of achilles heel for mod in OFP times, we really wanted to use Libs version of it but there was some problem on it (don't really remember) and later versions sound sucked compared to original. I modelled our version, but it never got textured. In ArmA things were bound to change.

Only OFP DP-27 in mod - 2005
user posted image

First ArmA model - 2009
user posted image

3 days later it was textured, DP-27 was ready - 2009
user posted image

M/26 Lahti-Saloranta
Now I think this has been always one of our finest models and textures, it was modelled by Skramble and textured by Hara_Kiri for OFP. As we turned to ArmA it was unfortunantly obsolent, however it did receive new look and is currently still WIP (not for long hopefully).

First and final OFP model with textures - 2005
user posted image

Reworked model for ArmA - 2009
user posted image

Current WIP for ArmA without normal maps - 27.7.2009
user posted image

Final ArmA model - 2009
user posted image

I will be updating that one when its actually done.
Next time grenades, molotov and Kasapanos.

This post has been edited by Von Rundstedt on Jul 28 2009, 01:46 PM
steelexia
Posted: Jul 28 2009, 08:28 PM

Vääpeli
Group Icon

Simply amazing models and textures!! blink.gif

Von Rundstedt
Posted: Aug 27 2009, 07:41 AM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Ok after long busy busy period I find a chance to update situation here.

Grenades
What can I say about them? Wouldn't go to war without them and yet I don't want them near me, especially without a pin. Grenades of variation play important role in Winter war since we can count 80% of finnish AT-weapons to it.

Our first M/32 grenade version and first grenade in mod - 2004
user posted image

Soon was to follow 2Kg Kasapanos - 2004
user posted image

As well as 4kh version at same day - 2004
user posted image

We skipped RGD-33 completely and went to Molotov Cocktail, there was some irony attached (second picture on cap) - 2005
user posted imageuser posted image

Then this front was silent for long, until for ArmA we made molotov and ever since h- has had special releationship with it - 2007
user posted image

Year after that I got on grenade boom and made all but 4kg Kasapanos - 2008
user posted image

Next time Soviet soldiers.
steelexia
Posted: Aug 27 2009, 06:48 PM

Vääpeli
Group Icon

there was some irony attached (second picture on cap)

rofl.gif
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jan 18 2010, 01:35 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

After ridiculously long time since ranting in "blog" I thought to deliver history of Soviet soldiers finally.

In 2004 we decided that we start using DX's Russians as base for our soldiers and started modify them for test. First internal forum test pictures leaked (was not approved by leaders of the mod and for a good reason) to the public part of this forum and caused huge complain and uproar for inaccuracy - 2004
user posted image

So we got off from clean plate with them and made our own base from OFP soldier - 2004
user posted image

So just before christmas eve I managed to finish up new units for Soviets - 2004
user posted image

Then before my military service began in July I remade Soviet soldier base completely new basing them to Lib soldiers with their permission (even thou I made model from scratch, also headgear got redone). Picture is comparison with old and new units - 2005
user posted image

When base to soldier was done they suffered long silent period, before I contined with them - 2005
user posted image

For last work on OFP Soviets got officers - 2006
user posted image
user posted image

Continued on next post...
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jan 18 2010, 01:40 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Dawn of ArmA and new soldier model, this fella took quite a while to cook up. Early WIP of Soviets and snow test - 2008
user posted image

By mid year I had Soviet soldier model done with their most important headgear (Budyonovka) and quickly behind followed Telogreika soldiers and officersfurcoat - 2008
user posted image

Finally by 2009 I was satisfied with soldiers and posted them to public.
user posted image

After that you generally know what has happened to them since I have been updating always when there has been need. Something of that I can show however is here:
user posted image

Next time I suppose its Finns then, unless anybody has got some requests?

PS. I did not show much of furcoat and telogreika because I worked them through very fast and I don't have any existing WIP pics of them than the ready ones.
SRK
Posted: Jan 18 2010, 05:11 PM

Alikersantti

Member No.: 118

Keep up with your history lessions man
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jan 18 2010, 08:27 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Yeah I try to post them while I still actually remember them tongue.gif

Oh and apparently I already made "history lesson" of Finns so need to think something else to rant about.
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Mar 31 2010, 06:21 AM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Time for another ranting and view to past. Gather around children for I am old and I like to talk, also I like to pretend that I don't hear and make people annoyed by doing so rolleyes.gif

This time we view the past of Vickers 6-ton tank, its still now days a WIP for ArmA, but in OFP it was pride of Hara_Kiri, who we lost about a year ago and we're still recovering from that loss. Vickers was without question the best model and probably had best textures over anything we had in OFP time.

He began to work with Vickers in October 2004 and had model ready within 3-5 weeks - 2004
user posted image

Then began the gruesome texturing of OFP, in which he excelled better than I did, even though he had problems with quality in beginning - Jan. 2005
user posted image

He was also better at taking ingame screenshots than I am tongue.gif - Feb. 2005
user posted image

By May he had textured main parts of the chassis, now I do remind that it was really difficult to do texture placement in OFP, there was no UV-mapping possibility - May 2005
user posted image

Shortly after that whole Vickers was textured, it was left to wait effect/weathering textures (by me, as you can expect never happened) - Jul. 2005
user posted image

I will post shortly Fokkers and I-16 historic.
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Mar 31 2010, 06:56 AM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

First Fokkers development, now in OFP this was made completely by me and in ArmA Steelexia made stunning work with model and I textured it, now its my favorite plane in ArmA wink.gif

Work on it began at quite early compared on my experience with models, way too ambitious task from me - Sept. 2004
user posted image

However I was able to do it and fairly in record speed - Nov. 2004
user posted image

Then I started texturing it, needless to say it wasn't so pretty. I buried the project still in same month, I had other priority work to do and never got chance to recover it - Nov. 2004
user posted image

Dawn of ArmA
When Steelexia joined us he chose Fokker as his project and I certainly didn't complain, already first screenshots showed that he was up to the task - Jul. 2009
user posted image

And in two days he whipped external model ready - Jul. 2009
user posted image

I made few small fixes and added details to engine compartment - Aug. 2009
user posted image

Shortly after Steelexia presented me interiors which are still untextured - Aug. 2009 (picture limit)

I finished UV-mapping this monster (biggest UV-mapping I ever did) - late Aug. 2009
user posted image

Then finally got it textured and ingame - Sept. 2009
user posted image

I will post Polikarpov in near future. In meantime if you have something in your mind what you would like to see, let me know.
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Nov 9 2010, 09:08 AM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Since I need a break from 76K02 and ZIS-5 I thought I post some nostalgia, so I give you I-16 Polikarpov

Original model was worked by Hara_Kiri for OFP, due to his primary work on Vickers 6-ton and FAI he never managed to finish the model.

Original model base - Oct. 2005
user posted image

He almost managed to finish it, but this was last we got from it - Jul. 2006
user posted image

When steelexia joined he pushed stuff out faster than I could finish them, so he took I-16 as his task and finished it in month (inc. interiors) - Nov. 2009
user posted image

So after I managed to walk through the jungle called UV-mapping I got to do some textures - Jan. 2010
user posted image

External was done fairly quick, had to make minor modifications since I wasn't thinking straight - Feb. 2010 (click thumbnail)
user posted image

After that only thing left to do was interior, which took bit longer (fairly late pic, but I worked on it ever since february) - Apr. 2010
user posted image

I worked like a horse on it and I needed a break so I worked Maxims and couple special stuff (still unseen in public) to soldier models. - Apr. 2010 (click on thumbnail)
user posted image

Finally interior was finished (not the final status, but didn't have any better) and I could breath again, I even animated some of the gauges (important ones). - Jun. 2010
user posted image

Next time, say Maxims?
mazifin96
Posted: Jan 14 2011, 02:51 PM

Sotamies

Member No.: 149

I'd love to see those Maxims whistling.gif
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jan 17 2011, 07:59 AM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Why not indeed?

Maxim didn't really get off on fast track neither in OFP or in ArmA. It is still not quite done since we have some problems with Finnish Maxim that might require us to make some compromises on it, which I would like to avoid...

Originally in OFP Maxim was Libs and tripod was ours, we never got that far that we would have made own Maxim - 2004
user posted image

Last look on OFP Maxim, never got further than that - late 2004
user posted image

For ArmA I began from scratch and in few days got it nailed rather well - June 2008
user posted image

Then I left it alone for quite a while and then I decided to make animation for it, my first actually - March 2009
user posted image

Then again complete silence again, mostly because I didn't want to do the ammo belt, but got it done exactly year later - March 2010
user posted image

Went on fast gear with Maxim and with help of Steelexia (who made the tripod) we got it done in blink of an eye - May 2010
user posted image

Next time... something confused0006.gif
mazifin96
Posted: Jan 17 2011, 03:40 PM

Sotamies

Member No.: 149

Can't wait to use those yahoo.gif
« Next Oldest | Addon Discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5448 seconds | Archive