Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to FWW2. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

ArmA 2 AI, Sometimes can be quite smart&realistic
steelexia
Posted: Jul 29 2009, 04:57 PM

Vääpeli
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 125

As we all know, the ArmA 2 AI is at another great leap in terms of smartness. I found a video showing the ArmA 2 AI awareness. Very neat to watch. cool.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6mI410K_ZU

That shows how realistic the AI's are, at least in terms of spotting.

Now if only the AI drivers weren't so insane.. dry.gif
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 07:08 AM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Not bad, defianent improvement for ArmA AI. People seem to complain lot of AI thou. Its conciderably hard to make excellent AI yet for ArmA2 kind of game, much easier to script AI to COD type of games where there isn't many variables.

Really eager to get ArmA2 now smile.gif
h-
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 11:45 AM

Kenraali
Group Icon

Member No.: 40

In my opnnion BIS games have been the first FPS type of games in the history of gaming that actually have an AI, not one game before has had one.

The AI code must be mind bogglingly complex and may even be impossible to be made 'perfect' by any human because there can literally be endless amounts of circumstances of which some together may cause problems (as in stucking on objects). But comparing to for example ArmA's frustratingly bad AI the Arma 2 AI is lightyears ahead.
I haven't seen it do anything badly, although admittedly I haven't had too much time to play it (and I'm awaiting the next patch and hoping it makes the performance a tad better)..

EDIT:
What is a bit of a let down is the physics, pretty much unchanged from ArmA.

This made me laugh (somebody at BI Forums):
I was in a su-25, minding my own business, shooting off an occasional r-74 missile towards US humvees when out of the blue, I get killed by one.

Not by machine gun fire or anything, but by a flying humvee. When the r-74's hit the humvee, they quite literally sprang up through the air several hundred feet..

tongue.gif

This post has been edited by h- on Jul 30 2009, 04:26 PM
steelexia
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 04:40 PM

Vääpeli
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 125

QUOTE (h- @ Jul 30 2009, 07:45 AM)
EDIT:
What is a bit of a let down is the physics, pretty much unchanged from ArmA.

This made me laugh (somebody at BI Forums):
I was in a su-25, minding my own business, shooting off an occasional r-74 missile towards US humvees when out of the blue, I get killed by one.

Not by machine gun fire or anything, but by a flying humvee. When the r-74's hit the humvee, they quite literally sprang up through the air several hundred feet..

tongue.gif

Have you seen an AI flying up several hundred metres (stayed up in the sky for more than 15 seconds) after blowing himself up with an RPG-7? rofl.gif

user posted image

yeah I took the screenshot

BTW I first thought it was a javelin missile or something rolleyes.gif

EDIT:

Also, you can not believe how hilarious the AI is when it comes to driving.

Once, I asked my driver to move our APC a few km away from our current position to another town, the driver first seemed to be very intellegent and drove the APC onto the nearest road, then began driving towards the target. Then, during our ride, out of no where, he just suddenly jerks to the right, smashes a tree, backs up, and continues driving as if nothing happened. blink.gif

h-
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 07:11 PM

Kenraali
Group Icon

Member No.: 40

The physics engine has been basically the same since OFP, they only improved the collision detection a bit when moving to Arma..
It's a bit odd that they have not been able to make it better..

Once, I asked my driver to move our APC a few km away from our current position to another town, the driver first seemed to be very intellegent and drove the APC onto the nearest road, then began driving towards the target. Then, during our ride, out of no where, he just suddenly jerks to the right, smashes a tree, backs up, and continues driving as if nothing happened.

I thought they already fixed this with the 1.02 patch.. sad.gif

This is old A1 era bug that actually broke the campaign in it because in one mission I was supposed to climb into a car and be driven to help defend some flank but when driving through a small town on a straight road the AI would always suddenly jerk to the left on the same spot and hit the same building each time, killing us all..
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 08:56 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Member No.: 1

Makes me want ArmA2 even more laugh.gif
Its quite a shame that physics engine hasn't changed from ArmA1... I mean it shouldn't be that hard, HL2 already has good one dry.gif
« Next Oldest | Non-FWW2 | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0857 seconds | Archive