InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to FWW2. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

FWW2?
Falcon
Posted: Jul 12 2004, 05:22 AM

Sotamies

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

Ok am alittle confused didn't the fins loss againest russia then help germany take some of russia but then loss it again. Cause the finns compared to the germans had little to nothing
Carpaazi
Posted: Jul 12 2004, 11:21 AM

Ylikersantti

Member No.: 16

As much as i know, finnish fighted russians alone in the first place, then hitler allied with finland against russia when germany started their attack against it (in the year 41-42, if i remeber it correctly). We did lost the war and we had to ddrive germans off from our soil because russia demand it in the peace treaty. wink.gif
WhiteBandit
Posted: Jul 12 2004, 11:38 AM

Sotamies

Member No.: 21

yes we lost the war but not much our land! only a little bit wink.gif
and the ruskies gave us HUGE bills cause of war....
finnish didn't ally whit Hitler we where a co-belligerent
and waring the side of germans, and allmost end the war we got some supplies/guns help from them...

you should chek out this!
Carpaazi
Posted: Jul 12 2004, 12:00 PM

Ylikersantti

We rule laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Carpaazi
Posted: Jul 12 2004, 12:08 PM

Ylikersantti

When we lost the war, the russia wanted half of their war reparations as a steel products (ships and something else). At then finnish people had no idea how to build a ship, so russians send someone to teach us that, and today, finnish knowing of building ships is so good, that all around the world they have ordered ships from finnish shipbuilding yards. If you know this old TV-serial "Love boat", that boat was made in finland also biggrin.gif

...and finland is (at least was) only country after WW2 who payed its war reparations.

So it wasn't so bad to pay our war reparations to russia after all laugh.gif laugh.gif
Raksu
Posted: Jul 12 2004, 04:18 PM

Vääpeli

Member No.: 10

Infact we didn´t lose. Atleast the veterans call it a "torjunta voitto".
Instructor
Posted: Jul 12 2004, 04:47 PM

Keisari

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Raksu @ Jul 12 2004, 07:18 PM)
Infact we didn´t lose. Atleast the veterans call it a "torjunta voitto".

"torjuntavoitto" wink.gif
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 12 2004, 07:56 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Well we didn't lose war, we were able to negotiate our way in peace or YTA (was it?) deal, where it stated that finnish should pay some amount on russian reparations (which we paid about half), also Soviet needed some amount of Finland to themselves, also we were to turn up notes of weapons boughts (three men faked these notes for 4 days without rest in Stockholm), also German military force was to be driven off from Finland (to norway, this wasn't that big task and went without real problems) and that Communistic party should be reallowed in finland (which practicaly kept finland for a while in crasp, bit behind the scenes). In return Russia promised to assist finland militaricly and politicaly (could be reason why British didn't target Finland after war) and would concider Finland as ally as long as deal was on (neverless only words on paper, Stalin wasn't much of person in words or papers, more of mind).

Word lose is wrong on this, it would mean invaded or become a puppet nation, we lived under pressure, but we weren't puppet nation (especially Paasikivi kept strings in his hands, and Mannerheim wasn't worse). So I would call it either "torjuntavoitto" or forced peace over Russia (they had better things to do, 1944 entered poland and later in Germany, their attention turned there. Finland was just too high price to pay).
Carpaazi
Posted: Jul 14 2004, 07:52 AM

Ylikersantti

finnish should pay some amount on russian reparations (which we paid about half)

We did pay the reparations full...at least teachers said we did biggrin.gif
Carpaazi
Posted: Jul 14 2004, 07:53 AM

Ylikersantti

YO!

I just noticed...i've got promoted here laugh.gif laugh.gif
Falcon
Posted: Jul 14 2004, 08:17 AM

Sotamies

Member No.: 19

Hmm i read somewhere you guys only allied with the axis to get your lands back from russia but still you loss you had to pay back and weren't you a commie nation for a handful of years.
Carpaazi
Posted: Jul 14 2004, 08:23 AM

Ylikersantti

Hell no...were we commies for some time?!? laugh.gif

I don't remember how it wen't, but some one in russia (Stalin or he's follower?) let us keep our independence even that some "high ranking" peoples in russia opposed against it?

Tell me how wrong i am here biggrin.gif ? Last time i heard about this things was in school
Instructor
Posted: Jul 14 2004, 08:32 AM

Keisari

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Falcon @ Jul 14 2004, 11:17 AM)
Hmm i read somewhere you guys only allied with the axis to get your lands back from russia but still you loss you had to pay back and weren't you a commie nation for a handful of years.

Not exactly. The reason behind Finland becoming an Axis member, was that the Soviet Union still posed a threat and the only (almost only) outside support we could get was from Germany.

Whether we lost is not that simple to answer. As mentioned before, the term "defensive victory" describes it better. The fact remains that the Soviet Union did not manage to achieve their strategic goals, but we lost plenty of land in return.

And we NEVER became a commie nation.
Carpaazi
Posted: Jul 14 2004, 08:36 AM

Ylikersantti

Whuuh...that's a relief biggrin.gif

Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 14 2004, 04:05 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

QUOTE (Instructor @ Jul 14 2004, 08:32 AM)

Correct, but we lived under their thumb for a decent time, some nice side offects of YTA-threaty
Thorne
Posted: Jul 14 2004, 06:37 PM

Alikersantti

Member No.: 8

YTA? You mean YYA? Yhteistyö ystävyys & avunanto▒

(ps. Couldn't find the TM so put that instead)
Von Rundstedt
Posted: Jul 14 2004, 06:46 PM

Paperi Marsalkka
Group Icon

Yes, thanks Thorne! smile.gif
Always think it as YTA as Yhteistyö, Toveruus & Avunanto wink.gif
« Next Oldest | General Discussion | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1455 seconds | Archive