InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Exterminatus Now. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (6) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Technology-based awes
csadn
Posted: May 22 2011, 05:31 AM

Sharkopathic

Group: Members
Member No.: 997

QUOTE (Fangle Spangle @ May 21 2011, 01:02 PM)
more bionic medical wonders. i never realised just how much progress was being made into this field in the past 10 years, it's pretty amazing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13444036

Yup -- and in my neck of the woods, no less. *This* is Pretty Damned Cool (and so is the bionic arm upthread).
Anon Jaxun
Posted: May 24 2011, 08:25 AM

Soldier of The Empire

Member No.: 2,331

It is surprisingly comforting to know that in my lifespan, if something terrible happens to just about any part of me, I'll be able to get a fully functional bionic replacement.

I can't help but wonder how a bionic arm would sound on the guitar.
Taneis
Posted: May 24 2011, 06:22 PM

I can do more than talk! I can pontificate!

Member No.: 1,272

We may become the robot (or cyborg) overlords that enslave future generations of humans!
csadn
Posted: May 24 2011, 08:34 PM

Sharkopathic

Member No.: 997

QUOTE (Taneis @ May 24 2011, 06:22 PM)
We may become the robot (or cyborg) overlords that enslave future generations of humans!

Please? >:)

I've always wanted to be in a Dreadnought....
Sabre_Justice
Posted: May 25 2011, 02:43 PM

Ask me about very angry cats

Member No.: 1,491

After learning my little brother's got early onset muscular dystrophy... I really don't think they're putting enough research into this. Bionic limbs may be overstated in fiction but if there's potential for something real in there, it can improve millions of lives.
Fangle Spangle
Posted: May 25 2011, 04:52 PM

Citizen

Member No.: 2,447

QUOTE (Sabre_Justice @ May 25 2011, 02:43 PM)
After learning my little brother's got early onset muscular dystrophy... I really don't think they're putting enough research into this. Bionic limbs may be overstated in fiction but if there's potential for something real in there, it can improve millions of lives.

my sympathies :(. i know two people with it and it can be very difficult for everyone involved.

With the rate that bionics are developing its very possible your brother could stand to benefit from them in the near future. Hands with excellent articulation and feet that can actually maintain balance both exist and are easily the two greatest challenges in bionics. with those two licked in the near future there will be little to stop people with all kinds of physical disabilities from living normal lives. The downside to bionics is obviously they replace the limb so if your brother is still growing it would cause proportion issues after mere months of having a new limb fitted. eLEGS, REX and ReWalk are all good setting stones to exoskeleton technology which has the plus of not requiring amputation and are fully adaptable. with MD in its early stages its possible that assisted exoskeletons would be the best way to go as they can be conditioned to use as much or as little motor output as needed from a person to person or even limb to limb basis. The potential is staggering to be honest. How someone goes about getting these however god only knows...
Pixellated
Posted: Jun 10 2011, 04:44 PM

Being responsible

Group: Inquisitor
Member No.: 1,122

Fangle Spangle
Posted: Jun 11 2011, 01:40 PM

Citizen

Member No.: 2,447

thats really cool :o just looked up graphene cos i never heard of it, thats really fecking cool too >D the potential for it is... well its pretty amazing. every time you think we've got to the point when things just cant get much better, something comes and goes "BOOM! I'M AWESOME!"
Pixellated
Posted: Jun 13 2011, 11:08 PM

Being responsible

Artificial heart breakthrough: make one which doesn't beat. Humans now powered by spiral energy.
Jeffk38uk
Posted: Jun 14 2011, 12:02 AM

Everything's great at your Junes.

Group: Complete and Utter Bastard
Member No.: 10

That's actually pretty fascinating, and its only one moving part which is the rotor. The fact the reason we have the pulse is simply because the heart needs the gaps to nourish itself. To think outside that and say a machine doesn't need to nourish itself is pretty clever if that is the case.

Altho I suppose the question of how does it work when say you're doing exercise and all that, since the heart pumps more blood, how would this new artificial heart work around that? Very cool either way.

This post has been edited by Jeffk38uk on Jun 14 2011, 12:03 AM
J29
Posted: Jun 14 2011, 12:05 AM

Ship Master

Member No.: 2,337

That's what I was thinking: does the constant flow of blood bring more or less blood to the muscles? Does it heighten performance, or dampen it? Also, does it mean you bleed more profusely when injured? Still, a very cool new technology. There's another organ checked off my robot body list.
Pixellated
Posted: Jul 30 2011, 04:33 PM

Being responsible

Bumping this thread, because we now have robots which can fly like birds.
dragonsteincole
Posted: Jul 30 2011, 04:50 PM

Problem, sport?

Member No.: 592

That was quite amazing to watch something mechanical fly with that grace.
Jeffk38uk
Posted: Jul 30 2011, 04:53 PM

Everything's great at your Junes.

Group: Complete and Utter Bastard
Member No.: 10

It would be from TED, shouldn't be shocked at this point.
Anon Jaxun
Posted: Jul 31 2011, 06:25 AM

Soldier of The Empire

QUOTE (Pixellated @ Jul 30 2011, 04:33 PM)
Bumping this thread, because we now have robots which can fly like birds.

That was the single most fucking beautiful piece of technology I have ever seen in my entire life.

Man, the stuff Humans can achieve...

That, my friends(?) is why I love the human race.
Kaempfer
Posted: Aug 2 2011, 09:48 PM

Boop beep boop

Member No.: 1,604

Pixellated
Posted: Aug 2 2011, 09:57 PM

Being responsible

QUOTE (Kaempfer @ Aug 2 2011, 10:48 PM)
One step closer to true AI; a robot that can think for itself to solve problems.

Very interesting: it sounds like a children's story in which a clumsy robot goes around asking other robots how to make tea.
Anon Jaxun
Posted: Aug 4 2011, 07:47 AM

Soldier of The Empire

QUOTE (Pixellated @ Aug 2 2011, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (Kaempfer @ Aug 2 2011, 10:48 PM)
One step closer to true AI; a robot that can think for itself to solve problems.

Very interesting: it sounds like a children's story in which a clumsy robot goes around asking other robots how to make tea.

Robots: Learning simple concepts.

And then bigger, more complicated ones.
Pixellated
Posted: Aug 11 2011, 09:45 PM

Being responsible

Lothar Hex
Posted: Aug 20 2011, 12:43 PM

Illogical

Group: Inquisitor Lord
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Anon Jaxun @ Jul 31 2011, 06:25 AM)
That was the single most fucking beautiful piece of technology I have ever seen in my entire life.

I can one-up that.

(Posted Image)

Meet the GAU-8 Avenger, presumably the GAU stands for "God's Angry U-guys". This is the main weapon of the A-10 Thunderbolt, itself an impressibly sturdy aircraft.

(Posted Image)

You know how most military jets have guns attached? This thing is a gun with a plane attached. It fires 30mm calibre shells which are themselves huge. Here's picture of a guy fitting some shells to an Apache helicopter's weapon:

(Posted Image)

Look at the guy's thumb and then the shells. The GAU-8 Avenger is capable of firing 70 of those a second. That's 4,200 a minute.
randomgerbil
Posted: Aug 20 2011, 01:33 PM

Rank of Some Significance

Member No.: 2,405

QUOTE (Lothar Hex @ Aug 20 2011, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (Anon Jaxun @ Jul 31 2011, 06:25 AM)

I can one-up that.

Meet the GAU-8 Avenger, presumably the GAU stands for "God's Angry U-guys". This is the main weapon of the A-10 Thunderbolt, itself an impressibly sturdy aircraft.
You know how most military jets have guns attached? This thing is a gun with a plane attached. It fires 30mm calibre shells which are themselves huge. Here's picture of a guy fitting some shells to an Apache helicopter's weapon
Look at the guy's thumb and then the shells. The GAU-8 Avenger is capable of firing 70 of those a second. That's 4,200 a minute.

Impressive? Yes. Beautiful? No. I'm not talking about the form of those machines, but rather their function. To kill things. That's ugly, not beautiful.
Lothar Hex
Posted: Aug 20 2011, 02:29 PM

Illogical

Member No.: 3

Well I'm a horrible human being so there we go. Also, can't blame the machine for what it was designed for.
Eastwood
Posted: Aug 20 2011, 02:52 PM

You've done some terrible things, Mister Harry

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (randomgerbil @ Aug 20 2011, 01:33 PM)
Impressive? Yes. Beautiful? No. I'm not talking about the form of those machines, but rather their function. To kill things. That's ugly, not beautiful.

Anything so perfectly designed to excel at a given task like that is beautiful.
flyboy254
Posted: Aug 20 2011, 04:46 PM

Hunter: The only thing standing between us and the monsters

Member No.: 2,233

QUOTE (randomgerbil @ Aug 20 2011, 01:33 PM)
Impressive? Yes. Beautiful? No. I'm not talking about the form of those machines, but rather their function. To kill things. That's ugly, not beautiful

I guess we shouldn't tell you about the depleted uranium shells they use as the ammo, huh?
DanThe57
Posted: Aug 20 2011, 05:35 PM

I want to be the keeper of the Reaper

Group: Nicest people on the forum
Member No.: 852

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/18/ibms-co...uman-brain-her/

forgive me, but is this not exactly what the terminator films described their chips to be.
« Next Oldest | The CABAL Network | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (6) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1357 seconds | Archive