InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Did You Know?

Name:   Password:

Stream of consciousness, DYK Fact #620
Athene_noctua
Posted: 13:07 Tuesday 17 May 2011

Beyond Infinity

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I recently read the novel To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. I enjoyed it so much – particularly the “stream of consciousness” narrative technique employed by the author – that I have started reading another of her novels, Mrs Dalloway. Clapping.gif

This morning, I read about the Modernist novel in the spread “Symbolism, Aestheticism and Modernism” under the section Language and Literature of The Guinness Encylopedia. Did you know? “Virginia Woolf (1882–1941) first wrote conventionally realistic novels, then reacted against realism based on the overseeing viewpoint of the author. Her novels Mrs Dalloway (1925) and To the Lighthouse (1927) use the narrative method known as ‘stream of consciousness’, which shows ‘reality’ as it flows through the minds of her characters – steeped in currents of memory, anticipation, feeling and thought.” I gather that James Joyce has also used this narrative style – but, according to what I have just read in my Encyclopedia, credit for the “greatest novel of this kind” should belong to Marcel Proust’s monumental work Ŕ la recherche du temps perdu. blink.gif

--------------------
shygeorge
Posted: 14:24 Tuesday 17 May 2011

The Enlightenment

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 161

I have just read about stream of consciousness in the ART, MUSIC AND LITERATURE section of the Bloomsbury Concise Encyclopedia. Did you know? The term was coined by William James.
shyvera
Posted: 14:33 Tuesday 17 May 2011

The Enlightenment

Member No.: 150

Did you know? Virginia Woolf's novel Orlando (1928) was one of the books recommended by writer Jeanette Winterson in one programme in the series "My Life in Books" shown on BBC Two earlier this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00z7sgp
shygeorge
Posted: 14:43 Tuesday 17 May 2011

The Enlightenment

Did you know? [Adeline] Virginia Woolf (1882–1941), whom I have just read about in the FAMOUS PEOPLE section of the Bloomsbury Concise Encyclopedia, was not just a novelist but also a critic.
shyvera
Posted: 14:58 Tuesday 17 May 2011

The Enlightenment

Did you know? Her father Sir Leslie Stephen, who was the first editor of the Dictionary of National Biography, was also a critic, while her husband Leonard Woolf was a political theorist and her sister Vanessa Bell was a painter.
shygeorge
Posted: 15:35 Tuesday 17 May 2011

The Enlightenment

Did you know? Both Virginia and Vanessa belonged to a group of artists, writers and intellectuals living and working in the Bloomsbury area of London in the early decades of the 20th century. I have just read about Bloomsbury Group in the ART, MUSIC AND LITERATURE section of the Bloomsbury Concise Encyclopedia.
shyvera
Posted: 15:46 Tuesday 17 May 2011

The Enlightenment

Did you know? Other members of the Bloomsbury Group included the critic Lytton Strachey, the painter Roger Fry, the novelist E.M. Forster, the economist John Maynard Keynes, and the lesbian Vita Sackville-West – who had an affair with Virginia Woolf herself!
Olinguito
Posted: 12:34 Saturday 02 August 2014

Age of Reason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 219

I have just started reading two novels by E.M. Forster, A Room with a View and Howards End. cool.gif

--------------------
Bassaricyon neblina
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Literature & Literary Criticism | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0555 seconds | Archive