InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Did You Know?

Name:   Password:

Endocytosis, DYK Fact #213
Ebudae
Posted: 09:22 Monday 23 April 2007

The Enlightenment

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Last night, before going to bed, I watched a biology programme I had videoed from the BBC Learning Zone a long time ago. It was a programme about endocytosis. Yearning.gif

Did you know? The membrane of a cell is littered with proteins that allow the passage of small particles into or out of the cell, but larger particles have to enter the cell by endocytosis. This involves the cell membrane wrapping around a particle, forming a vesicle which is “pinched off” (I believe that is the technical term tongue.gif) from the membrane so that the particle is completely enclosed within the cytoplasm. Of course, only particles that the cell recognizes as “friendly” are allowed endocytotic entry into it. Unfortunately, some viruses – such as the Semliki Forest virus – can fool the cell into thinking they are “friends” and gain entry into it by endocytosis. Once inside the cell, the such a virus will embark on its destructive pathway, replicating and eventually killing the host cell to release more viruses.

--------------------
Ebudæ
Athene_noctua
Posted: 13:20 Monday 23 April 2007

Beyond Infinity

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Did you know? Phagocytosis and pinocytosis are forms of endocytosis.

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Human Biology & Medical Sciences | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0662 seconds | Archive