Cygnus-X1 Home
Home of the Star Trek LCARS Book & Episode Database & Rush Tribute Sites

Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Cygnus X1 Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Cygnus-X1.Net Home ------- Star Trek LCARS Book/Episode/Blueprints Database ------- Cygnus-X1.Net Tribute to Rush

Click Any Image to Buy from Amazon.Com

|Visit the Cygnus-X1.Net Rush Store|

Project Gemini (Surya-Class)
BolianAdmiral
Posted: Oct 24 2010, 07:29 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,658

Hello, all...

I have begun work on a very long-term project, which is my attempt to create a set of not only clean and large blueprints for the TOS-era Surya-Class ship, but also to reconcile all the conflicting differences often found in the multitude of fanon variants that are out there of "TOS Mirandas", such as the Anton, Coventry, and so on. I want to create a truly viable set of both exterior and interior blueprints that work for the TOS-era Surya-Class specifically, meaning that the interior spaces are not simply borrowed from the TOS Enterprise, and thrown into the Surya-Class frame. No, the internal arrangement of my Surya-Class will be designed from the deck floors up, to be tailor-made to fit the Surya's frame, and the placement of rooms will make logical and functional sense.

user posted image

To assist me in my efforts, I have enlisted the help of Aridas Sofia, who designed the Surya-Class, as well as Tallguy, who had been working on a 3D model of the Surya-Class. TOS Purist is also helping me with various aspects of the ship's interior, and Cory McDaniels was kind enough to send me one of his last remaining TOS-era Surya-Class model kits, and I will be using the build of that kit to assist me in this project as well. A few other people have been attempting to basically "build" the TOS Enterprise from the ground up, in 3D CGI, both inside and out, and their own work is what originally inspired me to attempt this project with the Surya, as I wish to do the same with this ship, so I'd like to credit them here... blssdwlf, havoc92, and Shaw. Thanks, guys, for all your hard work... it has inspired someone!

I am adopting a "model kit" method to the building of this 2D model... that means that I am going to start by making each individual part as its own object, and then assemble all those elements together, to form that entire ship. This way, I'll be working in layers, and I'll be able to manipulate and scale parts to fit, without affecting any other parts of the ship in the process. I am using the TOS Enterprise plans of both Sinclair and Casimiro as references to assist me.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Why am I referring to the Sinclair and Casimiro Enterprise plans, when this ship is not the Enterprise? Simple. Because I am trying to demonstrate that the TOS-era Surya-Class was a truly TOS-native ship, using TOS-era Starfleet standardized parts. Thus, many of the details would be the same, and many would also be different. Many fanon versions of the Surya have way too many windows, making it look like a much larger ship, such as the Miranda-Class of the TMP-era. Some people also make the all-too-common fanon mistake of cramming way too much detail and greebles and other things onto the hull... you cannot do that with a TOS-era ship. TOS-era ships were comprised of fairly simple and basic shapes, and were smooth. Their hull panel lines were very subtle. They were models of simplicity and functionality, and were elegant in that functional simplicity.

So, I will be posting my progress here, for all to see. When I am done with this project, I plan to make these plans freely available to all who want them, and maybe even submit them for posting on the LCARS Blueprint Database. Comments and questions are always welcome!

- BolianAdmiral
BolianAdmiral
Posted: Oct 24 2010, 10:58 PM

I forgot to mention that while a bulk of the interior deckplans will be original, I will also be using material from the TOS Enterprise deckplans as well as the Miranda-Class deckplans, just for the purposes of providing some insight and inspiration as to where certain areas might logically fit on the Surya-Class.

I also figured I'd post a few shots of interior WIP images I've been working on, starting with the floor plan design I selected for the Surya-Class bridge.

user posted image

For this project, and for the U.S.S. Gemini specifically, I am operating under the assumption that the ship is slightly older than the newer Constitution-Class ships, so elements of the interior design reflect that in my interior plans. For instance, the main viewscreen looks a bit older than the one on the series Enterprise bridge, and the design is based upon the auxiliary control room viewscreen on the Enterprise.

user posted image

As you can see, in the final bridge-installed version of the viewscreen, I hybridized the design of both the auxiliary control screen, and the regular series Enterprise screen, to create the end result.

user posted image

More updates to follow... again, please do feel free to comment and question!

- BolianAdmiral
BolianAdmiral
Posted: Oct 26 2010, 09:54 AM

I finished the top profile of the warp nacelles.

user posted image

- BolianAdmiral
« Next Oldest | Star Trek: The Blueprints | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0800 seconds | Archive

eXTReMe Tracker