Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to CUBS KINGDOM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Cubs replace Caray with Marlins' Len Kasper, Kasper joins Brenley in booth
aliencub
Posted: Nov 22 2004, 04:19 AM

Chicago Cubs R.O.Y.

Group: Player
Member No.: 80

Associated Press

CHICAGO -- Len Kasper is the new voice of the Chicago Cubs, replacing Chip Caray in the team's all-new TV booth.

Kasper leaves the Florida Marlins to become WGN TV's play-by-play announcer for the Cubs, joining the new analyst, former Arizona Diamondbacks manager Bob Brenly.

Brenly, an ex-major league catcher, was hired earlier this month to replace Steve Stone after the former pitcher and 20-year broadcaster resigned following a season of turmoil. Stone came under fire for on-air comments critical of the team's performance and managing.

Caray left after seven years with the Cubs to join father Skip with the Atlanta Braves.

"We're excited to bring in an experienced, young play-by-play voice," WGN TV vice president and general manager Tom Ehlmann said in a statement Friday. "We know that Len and Bob will be an outstanding broadcast team."

Both WGN and the Cubs are owned by Tribune Co.

The team said Kasper signed a multiyear deal. No salary information was released.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts anyone?
ithreeputt
Posted: Nov 22 2004, 10:44 AM

Legend

Group: General Manager
Member No.: 60

Kasper is not bad, but he is a 'third choice' broadcaster. He can't be any cornier than Chip however, so I'll take a wait and see attitude. Hopefully he will not be a Dusty butt kisser.

I was wondering when a thread would get started on hiring the play-by-play guy. I suppose it's should be considered a good thing that we haven't been discussing the broadcasters for the last few days. :P
DrunkenDragon™
Posted: Nov 22 2004, 02:06 PM

"Asian Youth- The number one animal killer in history"

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I can't really say much about this because I've never heard the guy do his thing. The one thing I know for sure is that he can't be any worse than Chip....can he?
JoeCub
Posted: Nov 22 2004, 02:10 PM

The next level

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (DrunkenDragon™ @ Nov 22 2004, 02:06 PM)
I can't really say much about this because I've never heard the guy do his thing. The one thing I know for sure is that he can't be any worse than Chip....can he?

Yes he can. I've never heard the guy but there are worse play by play men than Chippy. To me Chip wasn't that bad as a play by play man but he annoyed the crap out me between the plays. I never much cared for the "BELTED" call on long flyballs either...
DrunkenDragon™
Posted: Nov 22 2004, 02:15 PM

The one that sealed the deal with me was when we were in Anaheim last year and those bees disapeared late in the game. What was it he said? Maybe they went out to lunch, probably to Ar-bees!!

My head dropped in shame as Chip laughed his rear off....and he was the only one laughing, I could just feel Steve staring into him like, "I've gotta get out of this place."
JoeCub
Posted: Nov 22 2004, 02:18 PM

The next level

Living in the south maybe you'll get enough Braves games you can still keep up with Chip's humor? :D
ithreeputt
Posted: Nov 22 2004, 03:15 PM

Legend

Kasper is a decent play by-play-guy. I haven't seen him enough to know if his humor will annoy the crap out of me like Chip's did. Like Joe said, Chip was not a bad play-by-play guy when compared to the brutal voices throughout the major leagues.
DrunkenDragon™
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 02:25 AM

QUOTE (JoeCub @ Nov 22 2004, 03:18 PM)
Living in the south maybe you'll get enough Braves games you can still keep up with Chip's humor? :D

I try to avoid TBS like I avoid a good case of the clap.
ithreeputt
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 03:42 AM

Legend

QUOTE (DrunkenDragon™ @ Nov 23 2004, 03:25 AM)

That's certainly something you want to avoid. :o
JoeCub
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 09:47 AM

The next level

QUOTE (DrunkenDragon™ @ Nov 23 2004, 02:25 AM)

I think I'd even pick Chip over that! :D
DrunkenDragon™
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 12:12 PM

The only time I'll watch TBS is when the Cubs are in Atlanta. Thank goodness that doesn't happen often. Otherwise, there is nothing worth watching on that channel.
JoeCub
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 12:31 PM

The next level

QUOTE (DrunkenDragon™ @ Nov 23 2004, 12:12 PM)
The only time I'll watch TBS is when the Cubs are in Atlanta. Thank goodness that doesn't happen often. Otherwise, there is nothing worth watching on that channel.

Until now you mean. You really should keep up with Chips humorous stories and as a double bonus you can listen to him AND his Dad at the same time! :D
DrunkenDragon™
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 12:41 PM

QUOTE (JoeCub @ Nov 23 2004, 01:31 PM)
You really should keep up with Chips humorous stories and as a double bonus you can listen to him AND his Dad at the same time!  :D

:blowup:
JoeCub
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 12:46 PM

The next level

That was really gross! :death:
artvark
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 12:48 PM

Hall of Famer

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (DrunkenDragon™ @ Nov 23 2004, 01:41 PM)
(Posted Image)

WTF is THAT?!?

Although, it is a fairly accurate representation of what can happen with Caray Overload...empirical evidence notwithstanding.
DrunkenDragon™
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 02:11 PM

Don't tell me you've never seen Scanners.
JoeCub
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 02:23 PM

The next level

No, I've seen it but it is still gross. No, I never cared for the Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, etc genre of movies either. Cubs baseball has given me enough horror stories over the years!
ithreeputt
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 04:21 PM

Legend

I agree with Joe, never been much for the scary (stupid IMO) movies, but Scanners is a classic. Joe is right, we get plenty of frightful moments watching our beloved Cubs play. :(
OsaMayor
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 04:33 PM

Number 1 Puerto Rican Female Cubs Fan

Group: Player
Member No.: 54

QUOTE (JoeCub @ Nov 22 2004, 04:10 PM)
Yes he can. I've never heard the guy but there are worse play by play men than Chippy. To me Chip wasn't that bad as a play by play man but he annoyed the crap out me between the plays. I never much cared for the "BELTED" call on long flyballs either...

you guys are way too hard on chip....granted...he is not the best but he is far from being bad....i loved the belted....so there you go.....i will miss him and harry probably isnt too happy at the way he was treated...he may even start another curse ;)
DrunkenDragon™
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 08:33 PM

QUOTE (ithreeputt @ Nov 23 2004, 05:21 PM)
I agree with Joe, never been much for the scary (stupid IMO) movies, but Scanners is a classic. Joe is right, we get plenty of frightful moments watching our beloved Cubs play. :(

You guys just have to watch the good ones. The Ring, Saw, Dawn of the Dead, etc. The physical horror movies do pretty much suck, I watch them because I love laughing at the dim-witted woman who runs from the killer while wearing high heels and such. We all know what happens soon afterwards.

The psychological horror movies, though. Those kick major butt.

Anyway, once we get into the season I'll probably start to miss Chip. Right now I don't see how that is possible, but like I said earlier, I've never heard the new guy.
ithreeputt
Posted: Nov 23 2004, 10:47 PM

Legend

QUOTE (DrunkenDragon™ @ Nov 23 2004, 09:33 PM)

The psychological horror movies, though. Those kick major butt.

I'd agree. It's the slasher flicks that slash for the sake of slashing that I don't care for.

I personally won't miss Chip, but not because of his play-by-play skills. I thought he was pretty good at that part of the broadcast. It was the fact that he used the same stupid jokes for way too long that I got sick of him. Thankfully, I won't have to hear how Stone is too cheap to get the dinner check ever again. I wonder if he'll use the same line when he broadcasts with his father. :P
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Cubs Lounge | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1350 seconds | Archive