Welcome to The Bucking Stock Connection, Board Index. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Announcements
Welcome to Chute the Bull!

Marcia Bennett, Owner of the Bucking Stock Connection

NOW Taking Consignments

Email:thebuckingstockconnection@yahoo.com
Email:summerrain_411@yahoo.com

Phone: 214-606-2452

Upcoming Auctions
A Female Auction Monday Sept. 15th -Monday Sept 22, 2014
A Weanling Auction Monday Sept 29th-Monday Oct. 6th 2014
UBHA Annual Online Auction Oct 6th Monday - Oct 13th Monday 9 pm CST
A Futurity/Derby Bull Prospects Auction Monday Oct. 13th 9pm CST- Monday Oct. 20th 2014
Taking Consignments, Contact Marcia @ 214-606-2452

ABOUT FEATURED AD FOR September
Livestock Hauling
Brandon Wilson
Maypearl TX
All Your Hauling Needs
Phone: 817-822-8154

ALL CONSIGNORS FOR THE FUTURITY/DERBY BULL AUCIION IN OCT WILL BE ENTERED INTO A DRAWING, $100 Gift Certificate from Bucking Bull Pro
Consignment fees for the Futurity/Derby Auction is 2 lots for the price of one

Q & A Transcript with Dr. Jeremy Block, Embryologi
Summerrain
  Posted: Jan 17 2009, 08:51 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Q & A Transcript with Dr. Jeremy Block, Embryologist, Tues Sept 9th 08

[billsummers entered room]
Summerrain411: we will give them about 5 mins to get in here if thats ok
jblock: no problem
[akct entered room]
Summerrain411: well bill finally made it lol
[*Devil'sDeceit* entered room : ~hi! dont touch me! xd im joe"s xd~]
[flyinhigh entered room]
[*Devil'sDeceit* left room. : BYE FRIENDS jake, kyle,joe,dani,rose,kodi,courtney,and people that i fogot please fell free to hit meXD]
CALAMAITYJANE2: Sr i called mmmurray so she will make it
Summerrain411: ok
billsummers: Hey Jeremy
jblock: Hi Bill - How's it going?
billsummers: Wuit whining Marcia
Summerrain411: oh hush bill lol
billsummers: Quit Whining
Summerrain411: im not whining lol.
CALAMAITYJANE2: Bill it seams that you are the one that is whining
billsummers: See you tomorrow?
jblock: Yeah
billsummers: Robin, you're an hour early
[wildman entered room]
Summerrain411: ok we are going to start
CALAMAITYJANE2: have to keep up with you this time
Summerrain411: for those that dont know our guest , its Dr. Jeremy Block, PHD, Embryogist
Summerrain411: I hope i got that right lol
Summerrain411: first question
jblock: That's fine - Thanks for having me.
Summerrain411: Jeremy when you do an IVF, and say you get 20 ocytes... what percentage of those 20 in your experience go on to become embryos?
jblock: It is important to understand that the results of IVF, just like superovulation, can be highly variable. In general if you do not stimulate the donor cow with FSH you can typically get approximately 25% of those oocytes to become transferrable embryos. If you stimulate the donor with FSH you can t
jblock: If you stimulate the donor with FSH you can typically get more embryos, in some cases as high as 50%.
jblock: However, it is very important to keep in mind that these numbers are averages. Some donors will give more than this and some donors will give fewer embryos than this.
Summerrain411: next question
Summerrain411: When you do an IVF ,first off how many straws does it take ?Second when you split that are the genetics as strong as one straw for one calf?
jblock: When doing IVF, the amount of sperm you need is very small. The number of straws depends on the number of oocytes that need to be fertilized. In most cases, one straw is more than enough sperm when doing IVF.
jblock: The genetics of the offspring should not be affected by splitting a straw of semen between more than one donor.
Summerrain411: What, in your opinion is the greatest challenge in working with Bucking Stock?
[JoeShaw left room.]
jblock: The biggest challenge in working with bucking stock in my experience is temperament. When doing superovualtion, in particular, the animal needs to be worked through a chute several times.
jblock: In general, bucking stock tend to be more highs strung and therefore get stressed when being worked through the chute. This stress can affect the hormone levels of animals and have a negative affect on reproduction.
[JoeShaw entered room]
[JoeShaw left room.]
[JoeShaw entered room]
[JoeShaw left room.]
[JoeShaw entered room]
Summerrain411: Is it feasible to use a live breeding on a cow that is set up for flushing. If so would it be more effective from a standpoint of heat detection
jblock: It is possible to use live breeding. It is not very common because most people that are doing superovualation donít own the bull that they want to use. In rodeo cattle, which typically are difficult to detect in heat, a bull would definitely have an advantage.
Summerrain411: next
Summerrain411: What are some of the potential problems associated with IVF calves
[nationbulls entered room]
jblock: There has been much improvement in the IVF procedures over the last 10 years and many of the problems associated with IVF in the early days are not as big of a problem. The biggest problem that I think still exists with IVF calves is that they tend to be slightly larger on average than calves produ
jblock: The biggest problem that I think still exists with IVF calves is that they tend to be slightly larger on average than calves produced from AI or superovulation (on average 10 pounds heavier). So calving management is definitely important if you have recips with IVF embryos.
[$0ulja_$hawtii entered room]
[$0ulja_$hawtii left room. : Dont miss me too much ; )]
[KEITH-NABOURS entered room]
jblock: The rate of calves with some kind of abnormality is also higher for IVF embryos but this is still a small percentage of calves.
Summerrain411: What would be a good target age to consider using heifers for flushing, either conventional or IVF
[van2 entered room]
[JoeShaw left room.]
jblock: It is generally not recommended to flush a heifer because there is the potential that that animal will have problems getting pregnant after the flush. If you do decide to flush a heifer they should be 18-20 months of age and you need to make sure that the dosage of FSH is reduced significantly beca
[JoeShaw entered room]
jblock: make sure that the dosage of FSH is reduced significantly because heifers are more sensitive to this hormone. In terms of IVF, the heifer needs to have reached puberty so in most cases they should be at least 12 months of age.
[flyinhigh left room.]
Summerrain411: that is all the prequestions, if anyone has a question for Jeremy, please go ahead
[LRTX entered room]
Summerrain411: is it true you can use semen with a low motility and morphology for IVF and get good results
[sandyl entered room]
[DLynn entered room]
[txangel entered room]
CALAMAITYJANE2: What does low motility and morphology mean?
[flyinhigh entered room]
jblock: You can use sperm with low motility and get good results with IVF. Sperm with morphology problems make work but will present more of a problem than sperm with morphology issues
[Hotflash left room.]
[griggs left room.]
[Hotflash entered room]
[griggs entered room]
jblock: Motility is the forward movement of the sperm and morphology is the appearance of the sperm. Sperm with some kind of abnormality would have bad morphology
CALAMAITYJANE2: All so could you tell what FSH means? This will be posted and some people that might read this might not know. Thanks CJ
Summerrain411: you hear so many say you must use 2 straws to AI with, if the semen is good, can you use 1 and have good results
[akct left room.]
[akct entered room]
jblock: If you are talking about flushing it is recommended to use 2 straws. The reason for this is not that the sperm in bad but that the donor cow will be ovulating eggs over such a large window of time that the odds of fertilizing those eggs is better if you inseminate twice instead of once. In some ca
jblock: In some cases you can get get results with just one straw.
CALAMAITYJANE2: Mr Block do you know if there is any classes down your way for AI?
[van2 left room.]
[wildman left room.]
jblock: ABS does an AI school every once in a while but that is the only one that I'm aware of.
Summerrain411: do you feel its better to have a heifer calve first before using her for flushing
[tmbuckingbulls entered room]
Summerrain411: if you came in late the transcript will be posted in the board
Summerrain411: *on
jblock: I think that if you can wait until they have a calf that will be best
billsummers: Jeremy, you once told me how you can collect a bull with smaller volme and get equal results in IVF can you explain that
[tmbuckingbulls left room.]
billsummers: I dont know if I phrased that right
jblock: It takes a very small amount of sperm to do IVF especially if you only have one donor animal. So a single straw of semen has way more sperm than you actually need. Because of this it would be helpful if semen could be packaged specifically for IVF so the semen could be used more efficiently
JoeShaw: with natural breeding you assume only the storngest and healthy sperm reach the egg and get the job done but is the risk of un healthy and weeker sperm getting to the egg much greater when AI'ing and expecially when doing a flush or is it still mainly just the strongest ones
billsummers: thanks, makes sense
[txangel left room.]
[KEITH-NABOURS left room.]
jblock: With Even with AI the sperm will still have to be quite strong to make it to the site of fertilization. So I don't think there is much difference in the sperm that fertilize with AI versus natural service
Summerrain411: say you have a cow , great producer, expensive and she dies unexpectly, I have read you can get her in right away and harvest her ovaries and try to get her eggs?
jblock: That is correct. It needs to be done relatively soon after the animal dies but you can still get embryos if you get the eggs collected within 24 hours
[nationbulls left room.]
jblock: Optimal results will occur if eggs are collected within 4-6 hours after death
[flyinhigh left room.]
Summerrain411: I see so many use clean up bulls after they AI a cow, do you think that is good
[billsummers left room.]
jblock: I think the answer varies from person to person and what exactly your goal is. However at some point it does make sense to use a clean-up bull.
Summerrain411: once you inplant embryos in a cow.. how long is it recommended to wait before you transport her
CALAMAITYJANE2: What would you need to do if you where planing on taking a cow to be AI for the first time?
[*Special~K* entered room]
[sandyl left room.]
[Friday entered room]
[LRTX left room.]
[*Special~K* left room.]
[LRTX entered room]
jblock: If you are transporting the animal a relatively short distance say 3 hours or less then I don't think you need to wait to transport the animal. If you need to transport a long distance, I would probably wait a couple of days.
[K39DLJ entered room]
[DLynn left room.]
Summerrain411: some peopel
Summerrain411: people
Summerrain411: that will be edited from the transcript LOL
[brokenarrow1 entered room]
jblock: If your going to take the cow to a facility that does AI then you probably don't need to do much except make sure the animal is in good shape and the nutrition is at an optimal level. The faciltity will likely take care of everything else.
[SweeterPoison entered room]
[Diamond_E entered room]
[griggs left room.]
[SweeterPoison left room.]
[Lol entered room]
Summerrain411: is there a time frame you should wait after a cow calves before attempting AIing her
[nationbulls entered room]
Hotflash: What do you feel is the best diet, minerals, for setting a cow up to AI or Flush
CALAMAITYJANE2: I was going to ask that you beat me to it LOL
[DRay entered room]
[akct left room.]
jblock: Typically you are going to wait about 60 days after calving to breed a cow
[akct entered room]
[nationbulls left room.]
jblock: The best diet for setting up a cow for flushing is a high quality forage (either grass or hay), maybe a little bit of concentrate and then a mineral and vitamin supplement. Nutrition may be the most important factor affect the results of flushing an cannot be overlooked.
CALAMAITYJANE2: How long does it take for someone to learn how to AI.
jblock: Keep in mind that you don't want to overfeed animals because fat animals are almost worse than animals that are too thin
DRay: Do you use older cows or heifers for recips?
jblock: It varies from person to person and how much experience you have palpating cows. If you go to an AI school you will learn the basics but you will need to spend some time practicing on your own before you want to do your self
[GarrettHinds entered room]
Hotflash: What about worming the cow for AIing or Flushing
jblock: Some people say to only use older cows that have previously had a calf. But heifers are generally more fertile and will also work for recips. With a heifer though you may need to pay more attention during calving than you would with a mature cow
jblock: Worming and vaccinating cows is an important component to a good reproductive managment program. However make sure that you worm and vaccinate animals well before you are planning on doing AI or flushing
Summerrain411: Jeremy for cows that are very tempermental, hyper, is it possible to give them medication to slightly
Summerrain411: calm them down for AIing
[JoeShaw left room.]
[JoeShaw entered room]
DRay: Are some embryos stronger than others? amd does the semon have anything to do with that if there is a difference?
jblock: It is possible to give them a sedative to calm them down. One thing I would recommend is beginning to work the cows through the corral at least a few times a week for a couple of weeks prior to AI or flushing so that the animal can acclimate to the process
[Lol left room.]
jblock: If by stronger you mean more likely to result in a pregnancy then the answer is yes. The bull could also affect this but so can the donor. Some donors have really high pregnancy rates and some don't this is also true of different bulls
DRay: Do certin breeds of cattle make better Doners?
DRay: I used Brangus with not much luck,
[billsummers left room.]
DRay: Recips
[Friday left room.]
Summerrain411: how far ahead would you give a cow some sedation before AIing her
jblock: I think it is more dependent on the specific donors rather than a particular breed. Animals with Brahman influence tend to give more embryos when they work but they are also notorious for being hard to work with and sometimes don't respond well to typical superovulation protocols.
Diamond_E: How important are vaccinations for your flush cow? Will it affect the flush if she is not up to date? How soon prior to a flush can someone vaccinate without affecting the flush?
[LRTX left room.]
jblock: As far as recips its the same. Just need cows that have a good disposition and are in good health and condition.
[nrscindy entered room]
jblock: I would give the sedative when the animal first gets in the corral and then give them 5-10 minutes before moving to the squeeze chute
[brokenarrow1 left room.]
JoeShaw: you hear some say a bull is fertile but semen wont freeze what are some of the reasons it wouldnt freeze
[brokenarrow1 entered room]
[woody- entered room]
[LRTX entered room]
[LRTX left room.]
jblock: Not vaccinating could affect reproduction. Just make sure you vaccinate 4-6 weeks before the breeding season or flusning
[DRay left room.]
[akct left room.]
[akct entered room]
CALAMAITYJANE2: Dr. Block I would like to say thankyou for comeing on here. I have learn a lot from this. CJ
nrscindy: Sorry i'm late
jblock: Some bulls semen is more sensitive to freezing just like certain bulls don't collect well. I'm not sure I can give you a specific reason but I would check on the bull's motility before freezing as well as the morphology. If those parameters are normal then its difficult to say why the sperm doesn'
jblock: Thanks for having me.
Summerrain411: any more questions
Summerrain411: thank you so much jeremy
brokenarrow1: thanks
billsummers: i enjoyed it Jeremy
[Hotflash left room.]
[Hotflash entered room]
Summerrain411: the transcript will be posted on the message board later tonight or in the morning
jblock: Thanks for having me. I hope I've been helpful. If any of you have other questions feel free to email me at block@embogen.com
JoeShaw: thank you for your time
woody-: thanks for your time
[akct left room.]
Summerrain411: thanks everyone for coming
Diamond_E: Thank you Jeremy
Hotflash: Thanks SR for all your hard work and setting these talks up for us, YOUR GREAT
Summerrain411: your welcome
[brokenarrow1 left room.]
Diamond_E: Yes thank you Marcia
« Next Oldest | Resource & Information Library | Next Newest »

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2427 seconds | Archive