Latest headlines: Aerosoft Flight Simulator 2012, one step closer * Carenado Releases the PA-34 200T SENECA II FSX * Aerosoft releases US Cities X - San Francisco * Carenado Releases the C172N Skyhawk II SKI for FSX * Aerosoft Releases The PBY Catalina * Carenado's PA28RT 201 ARROW IV for FSX Released * Aerosoft Releases Manhattan X * Carenado Releases the Beechcraft Mentor T34B FSX * Carenado Releases The C152 II For FS2004 * Aerosoft & FlyMex Release Airports of Mexico City & Central (FSX + FS2004) * Carenado Releases the Cessna C152 II FSX * Aerosoft Releases the long awaited F-16 Fighting Falcon For FSX * Aerosoft Releases The Bushhawk XP For FSX * Aerosoft releases Mega Airport Madrid X * Carenado Releases C182 Skylane II Q For FSX * Aerosoft Release German Airports 3 Paderborn/Lippstadt X * Carenado Releases Cessna 182 SKYLANE II RG FSX * Aerosoft Releases VFR London For FSX * Aerosoft Releases German Airports 2 Leipzig-Halle X * Carenado's U206G II Stationair Full FSX Released * Carenado Planes Are Now Exclusively for FSX, First Release is the Piper Cherokee * The Captain Sim 757-200 Service Pack 4.1 for FSX Is Now Available * HD-VC For The Carenado Mooney 20JX * Aerosoft Releases Mega Airport Frankfurt X * CLS Releases Boeing 747-200/300 * Aerosoft Releases the Hughes H1-B “Special” * STS-99 for Space Shuttle Mission 2007™ Released * Carenado Releases Mooney 201 M20J for FSX * AlphaSim Cessna 170B Released * Aerosoft's DHC-6 Twin Otter X Released * Flight 1 Pilatus PC-12 CD For FSX Released * KCLT Charlotte For FSX Released By Imaginsim * Captain Sim Releases the C-130 X-perience * Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne Released * SP2 For FSX Released * Watch this Ticker for Breaking News.......

Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Canadian Pilots. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Vote for Canadian Pilots!

Google

April 2009 Unedited Screenshot Contest Winners

1st Place - NorthStar

2nd Place - Ludo62

3rd Place - F-14 Tomcat

Aerosoft's AspenX, My Review
Ludo62
Posted: Aug 12 2007, 09:29 PM

Sr. Administrator

Group: Administration
Member No.: 1

Aerosoft’s Aspen X
Reviewed by Ludo Lambrechts

user posted image

Aspen-Pitkin airport, one of the United States’ most challenging airports, an airport most should avoid. However it is used frequently by express/connection services due to the popularity of the city. Aspen started out as a small, mining town, a very insignificant place. However in the past decades it has boomed and grown into a Mecca for skiers. People from all over the world travel to Aspen, Colorado to challenge the slopes.

Aerosoft has developed an Aspen scenery, a follow-up on their series of challenging approaches. Their first scenery was the Lukla scenery. It is however the first challenging scenery developed for FSX. In photos Aspen does not look challenging at all. It was not a sloped runway or a short runway or even hidden. It’s runway can handle the smaller regional jets and is very flat. It is also well exposed in the clearing. So what makes this approach difficult?

user posted image

It is a difficult approach because the runway is only open to landing from one direction. The high altitudes make it impossible to land from any other sides. Even on the Western approach the drop in altitude is quick and difficult to achieve. Aspen is subject to severity of the weather and is often closed due to blizzards during the winter months. At night time all airport operations are ceased due to the risks of the surroundings. This IS a CHALLENGING airport.

So, say that you are that thrill seeker in FSX. You grew tired of the well-planned, easy to execute departures of destinations such as a KSFO or a CYYZ or YSSY to name a few. Or more simply put major airports which cater to the bigger jets and bigger cities. These airports, Lukla and Aspen, are just right for you. The one this review focuses on, is Aspen X and is more “usable” than Lukla. Since Aspen is not limited to STOL aircraft it allows pilots to fly to thousands of destinations. In contrast to Aspen, Lukla only caters to smaller aircraft with less range and also lacks a lot of other airports in the area.

user posted image

The scenery covers the Aspen-Pitkin County airfield and the surrounding mountains. It covers a fair-sized area of Pitkin County and is a good value. The surrounding mountains are created with photorealistic textures, and a detailed mesh. The mountains look both accurate and authentic. Even though Aerosoft seems to have put the focus on the airport itself you can’t forget about the package is the surrounding area. The mountains are superbly remodelled. Flying through the mountains around Aspen is an amazing experience, one which should not be passed by.

The city of Aspen has also been touched on by Aerosoft. Included is a custom autogen. This autogen features unique buildings and houses which you would find in the city of Aspen. Like I said, they are unique and they add an “Aspen” feel to it. Too often in flight simulator you will see the same houses from different cultures and climates appear in completely different cities. Not in Aspen. Aspen looks generally like Aspen would.

user posted image

The airport has been touched on by Aerosoft. It has been well recreated in the FSX interface and looks amazing. It is not a big airport or a crowded one so it’s hard to give it top marks. I can say however the ground textures, based on photo material. On top of these ground textures are the few terminals and hangers located on the premises. Also included are high-quality rendered vehicles. Like I said, in summary this airport has been rendered very well, it is a small airport however so it would not be fair to draw comparisons to other airport titles. AspenX is a scenery package and the airport is just a fraction of the product.

This product has been marketed as a product for those who seek challenges in their flights. But I think that Aerosoft’s AspenX also has another appeal to it. It is beautiful scenery, a photorealistic one. Anyone who loves flying in between the breathtaking mountains must get Aspen X. It is as simple as that. This product bring you a challenge, brings you the sights, and is a great value. I award Aerosoft a 9.5 out of 10!

System Used

* MSI K9N Diamond NVIDIA Socket AM2 ATX Motherboard
* 850 Watt Power Supply
* AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz 2MB Cache
* 2 X Kingston HyperX 2048MB PC3200 800MHz Dual Channel DDR Memory
* XFX GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR3 SLI Ready
* 1 TB of HHD Space

Reviewd by Ludo Lambrechts for Aerosoft

--------------------
Thanks to Photobucket for free image hosting
user posted image
user posted image user posted image
user posted image user posted image[GK-customfield]FSX[customfield-GK]
Ridge
Posted: Aug 12 2007, 09:38 PM

Pilot

Group: Members
Member No.: 57

Sounds cool! Can you provide us with a screenshot of the city of Aspen, perhaps?

--------------------
user posted image
spit_fire
Posted: Aug 14 2007, 09:45 AM

Pilot

Member No.: 291

Looks like Aerosoft did it again by delivering fine scenery for a great price. Nicely written review Ludo thumbsup.gif .

Regards
Brian bmi_logo.gif

--------------------
Regards
Brian bmi_logo.gif

user posted image
Gimli Glider
Posted: Aug 20 2007, 06:51 PM

Editing King

Group: Editing King
Member No.: 359

Nice review Ludo.

Coincidentally, I just got back from the 'real' Aspen. TONS of really shiny biz jet there. I'd love to see more shots as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Ben Remy

user posted image
............user posted image.........
Click here to view my photos on Airliners.net
Click here to view my photos on Jetphotos.net
Ludo62
Posted: Aug 20 2007, 08:54 PM

Sr. Administrator

Group: Administration
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Gimli Glider @ Aug 20 2007, 07:51 PM)
Nice review Ludo.

Coincidentally, I just got back from the 'real' Aspen. TONS of really shiny biz jet there. I'd love to see more shots as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Thanks to Photobucket for free image hosting
user posted image
user posted image user posted image
user posted image user posted image[GK-customfield]FSX[customfield-GK]
Gimli Glider
Posted: Aug 20 2007, 09:25 PM

Editing King

Group: Editing King
Member No.: 359

Great shots, thanks Ludo! biggrin.gif Looks good, only thing missing are the airplanes. I might have to amend that when I get FSX up and running again and possibly purchase AspenX

--------------------
Ben Remy

user posted image
............user posted image.........
Click here to view my photos on Airliners.net
Click here to view my photos on Jetphotos.net
TEDK
Posted: Sep 12 2007, 03:34 PM

Commercial Pilot

Member No.: 293

Superb review Ludo, very informative read and certainly something to consider getting thumbsup.gif .

Ted

--------------------
user posted image[GK-customfield]FS9[customfield-GK]
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Quick Reply

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1013 seconds | Archive