Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Al Gore Support Center Online Forum 2008 :: A Reality Based Organization Fighting For Al Gore!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

As Texas Goes.., Gail Collins
Wayne in WA State
Posted: Jun 13 2012, 12:29 AM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1466

Send PMSend Email
Texan for Gore
Posted: Jun 15 2012, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2253

I had not heard of this book until you posted this info, Wayne, so all I know of it is what is posted in these articles. I have to say, I am curious as to why Collins is singling out Texas. The articles made mention of the Rick Perry rally and his talk of seceding, but, as the poll states, only 18% of Texans (at the time Perry made these statements) supported the idea of seceding. That is far from a ringing endorsement. Yet, her analysis seems to be selective. Why does it seem like she has an ax to grind with Texas? How about the other 75% or so that don't agree with Perry's sentiments? What are her thoughts on them?

And then the article mentions her fascination about the man who beat his wife with a frozen armadillo. Well, I have to say, that is pretty unusual - I never heard about that story (ETA - we're not all about armadillos and duct tape. :rolleyes: ) but still, there are a lot of crazies in the world. What about the wacko from somewhere else that dismembered that little boy's body? There are countless examples out there.

Oh, and the "Don't Mess with Texas" motto, which incidentally was a litter slogan thought up by the Texas Dept. of Transportation, and was said to be targeting the 18-35 year old "bubbas" around here than might understand the word "mess" better than litter, so that motto was actually directed at Texans more than anyone else, although it's connotation has since gone beyond littering. But, this was one group of people that voted on a slogan for the whole state of Texas, so it's not like every Texan had a say in it. I wonder if Ms. Collins makes mention of the Texas "Drive Friendly" slogan. :?:

As far as the influence that Texas has had on national politics, is she trying to say that Texas is the ONLY state that has had influence? Now, I acknowledge what she is saying about Texas' influence on textbooks nationally and it shouldn't be that way. I don't know why each state can't adopt their own rules of the textbooks they have in place, but unfortunately the rest of us don't get a say in the matter. But if you think about it - a relatively small group of people (our politicians) have been making rules for society as a whole for hundreds of years. And look at the debacle in Florida in the 2000 election outcome, but that in no way should define the whole state of Florida. Look at Wall Street's influence on our economy. I guess what I'm saying is that we can all point fingers at any given instance in a state's history and see how it can influence our society.

But just to give you a break down of Texas' history as far as politics is concerned - in our 166 year history - we have been governed by a democrat for 136 of those years and 31 years under a republican. Interestingly enough, Sam Houston was an independent. Anyway, out of those 31 years under a republican, 25 of those years have been in the last 30 years. That should say something of the recent stranglehold they've taken over our state.

Oh, and Bush isn't even a native Texan. Neither are some of the other people she mentioned. So what exactly is her point?

Now, it's not to say that Texans don't have that spirit of pride. Yes, many do. And yes, we have our share of rednecks. And Wayne, I think I know what your point of posting this was, but I'll let you tell me. ;)

The bottom line is, if you wanna know more about Texas, you're gonna have to come down here and find out. :coolwink:
Send PMSend Email
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The Political Roundtable | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Paid for and authorized by the Al Gore Support Center 2002-2005, Inc.
Please Read Our Disclaimer

A Stiles Design Creation 2005

Site Meter
Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive