InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Al Gore Support Center Online Forum 2008 :: A Reality Based Organization Fighting For Al Gore!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Private Prison Corporations are Modern Day, Slave Traders
Texan for Gore
Posted: May 4 2012, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2253

I agree that it's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on him not understanding it. The police brutality against OWS is a prime example of this, as well as the beer and tobacco companies, and oil and gas companies.

And I don't dispute that the war on drugs hasn't decreased drug use but rather has increased imprisonment rates. That what I meant by the private prison corporations making a profit off of locking people up. I don't agree with their motive for declaring a war on drugs. Many of these so-called wars are manufactured, like the war on terror is an excuse to take away our rights and liberties. And that's why Ive said I support decriminalizing drugs and treating addictions rather than punishing people because they have an addiction. It's different if drug use led to the commission of another more serious offense such as robbery or burglary, like some of the hard drugs do.

And it's not misleading to say that marijuana is addictive because it is. I know many who will attest to this. Plenty of things can be addictive, though some may not have the serious physical responses such as the delirium tremors with alcohol addiction. But there can be other physical, physiological or psychological responses. Even coffee can be addictive. I'm probably addicted to sodas in that I can get a headache after going a few days without one.

And driving while impaired is not necessarily a separate issue because 9 times out of 10, people arrested for possession of marijuana were in there car driving, just like with alcohol. It is a rarity to see someone busted for marijuana in their home. That's much more likely the case for cocaine or methamphetamine when the police have been tipped off that cocaine or meth selling/using was going on.

So, if you could assure or convince me that people would stay in their homes when they use thc or alcohol, then I might be more inclined to support the legalization of marijuana, though not the hard drugs.
Send PMSend Email
Wayne in WA State
Posted: May 15 2012, 02:24 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1466

The number one prison state in the entire United States is Louisiana

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/0...lds_prison.html
Send PMSend Email
ErinB
Posted: May 15 2012, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Group: Members
Member No.: 45

Little by little, everything is privatized, prisons, schools, utilities, public lands for gas leases, social security. Anything of the public trust they can loot they will.
Send PMSend Email
Texan for Gore
Posted: May 15 2012, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

It's really a sad state of affairs, isn't it, Wayne. I see Texas isn't far behind Louisiana on this list. There's so much I'd like to comment on this topic that I'm afraid I won't do this post justice. This is one of those topics that deserves a sit down discussion. It's disturbing to say the least, but I think this is only one example of how "cold hard cash" rules our economy and corporations these days. I was reading an article about Capitalism at truthout earlier --

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/9139-cap...aboo-in-america

and it really does seem like capitalism has become a bad thing. You know, there's nothing wrong with a company making a profit but when it comes to an obscene profit and when their profit is at the expense of people's freedom, health, environment, etc, then that's not a good thing.

Everything has become about profit and not about people. Look at the for- profit wars and health industry. Look at these big bio-agricultural companies like Monsanto. The oil and gas industry, big banks, etc. And our politicians are in the pockets of all these corporations.

When I started my job - actually I was offered a secretary position years ago while I was going to college part-time and my boss asked if I ever considered going into probation. It never crossed my mind at the time, I was majoring in psychology but wanted to be a teacher. However, she was generous enough to let me continue my education, so I decided to go into this field. I always felt we were here to help people with problems. We referred people to things like life skills, anger management, counseling, preparation for employment, rehab, etc. And I'm sure there are those that still feel that way, however, for-profit prisons just see profits, etc. It's doesn't seem to be able rehabilitating people anymore. There are some offenses that I don't think should be criminally punished. It seems like prisons should be the last alternative - such as with violent crimes, etc. Even then, you wonder what one learns from that, but what are the alternatives? I don't know that a serial killer like Kenneth McDuff could have been reformed.

But the bottom line is, it's sad that our society has become one who's livelihood often depends on the misfortune of others. Take the oil and gas industry, for instance. Why don't they turn their attention to alternative energy - something that could still be profitable, yet be an asset to the environment rather than destructive? And why do corporations have to be greedy? Why do they have to crush all their competition and want more and more - not to mention that it makes them more powerful and they start influencing elections, etc. It's just so frustrating. . . .
Send PMSend Email
Texan for Gore
Posted: May 15 2012, 10:34 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

QUOTE (ErinB @ May 15 2012, 10:23 PM)
Little by little, everything is privatized, prisons, schools, utilities, public lands for gas leases, social security. Anything of the public trust they can loot they will.

And this needs to stop. I just can't see how things can keep going this way. We need to sign as many petitions as possible, write letters, etc. And I keep hoping that OWS will make a difference in the long run.
Send PMSend Email
Wayne in WA State
Posted: May 16 2012, 12:38 AM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1466

There isn't one answer but many answers. We need to Occupy Wall Street and Occupy the Voting Booth.

Also we need to Occupy the Shareholders Meetings!!

http://theshareholderactivist.com/
http://www.faireconomy.org/shareholder_activism

:spikey:
Send PMSend Email
Texan for Gore
Posted: May 16 2012, 09:58 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

You're right, Wayne! The answers are many. There are many ways to try to make a difference - some small, some large. I just absolutely love OWS and some of the affect it's having. For those that claim OWS has no message, well, all I have to say is either they haven't been listening or OWS is being censored.

And this is my all time favorite sign of theirs.

(Posted Image)

Forgive the bluntness but this message just seems so profound to me. It's like a blunt way of saying "peace" and "love one another," among other things. :lol: It makes one think of back in the day when there was more of a barter system. People seemed to need each other more. It just seems so cutthroat these days. And the mainstream media seems to cultivate this attitude by always reporting on the bad things, and not so much of focusing on the good things that happen.

And it seems our country makes a mockery out of freedom and claims of being "United" when we as a nation have the largest prison population and our politicians spend their time trying to "divide and conquer" the people. I believe it's about time our politicians come around to OWS's way of thinking. :coolwink:
Send PMSend Email
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Civil Liberties | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Paid for and authorized by the Al Gore Support Center 2002-2005, Inc.
Please Read Our Disclaimer

A Stiles Design Creation 2005

Site Meter
Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive