Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Al Gore Support Center Online Forum 2008 :: A Reality Based Organization Fighting For Al Gore!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Warmest US March in history
Wayne in WA State
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1466

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/...-of-a-year?lite

US sees record for warmest March -- and first three months of a year

In the lower 48 states, only Washington State had below normal weather. NBC's Anne Thompson reports.
By Miguel Llanos, msnbc.com

The temperature analysis released by the U.S. government each month usually isn't all that riveting, but the one that came out Monday is a doozy -- and not just for weather wonks. Highlights for the contiguous U.S. (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) include:

Last month was the warmest March on record (records go back to 1895) at 51.1 degrees; this is 8.6 degrees above the 20th century average, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
January-March was the warmest first quarter on record; the average temperature of 42 degrees was 6 degrees above average.
April 2011-March 2012 was the warmest stretch of those 12 months on record; at 55.4 degrees, that period was 2.6 degrees above average.
In March, 15,292 records were broken for warmth; 7,775 were new daytime highs in cities across the country and 7,517 were new nighttime highs.

For Jake Crouch, a NOAA climate scientist who authored the State of the Climate report, last month will be memorable. While the previous record was just .57 degrees cooler, the year it was set, 1910, was itself an anomaly.

Comparing March to the longterm average and seeing an 8.6 degree spread, he added, "that's huge."

The average temperature of 51.1 degrees for the month was nearly 15 degrees warmer than the coldest March on record: 36.5 degrees, a mark set in 1965.

Chris Dolce, a Weather Channel meteorologist who analyzed the report, was impressed with how widespread the warmth was.

"What is so amazing to me is that 25 states had their warmest March on record," he told msnbc.com. "In addition, another 15 states had a top ten warmest March. Add the two numbers together and that makes a mind-boggling 40 states that had a March that was among their warmest on record."

An exception to the warm March was Alaska. While not included in the contiguous U.S. average, its March ranked as the 10th coolest on record.

The first quarter warmth also meant several dozen cities saw their warmest January-March on record -- among them New York City and Washington, D.C. Click here for a NOAA list.

So what made for a warm March and first quarter for the contiguous U.S.? Crouch cited the cyclical weather pattern La Nina, which has been weakening but is still around, and changes in Arctic and Atlantic weather patterns that in the previous two winters had actually helped set cold records.

States with 118 mean that they saw their warmest year in 118 years of records.

The Arctic pattern, in particular, was "a complete flip," said Crouch, and that kept the jet stream, as well as cold air, farther north than normal in winter and allowed warmer temperatures in from the Gulf of Mexico.

Is manmade warming from burning fossil fuels a factor?

"There are a lot of factors and it's hard to pinpoint one particular thing," Crouch told msnbc.com, "but this is the kind of thing we'd expect with climate change."

Indeed, for the entire globe, neither March nor the first quarter are likely to set records. Final data aren't out yet, but January-February global temperatures were the 20th warmest, NOAA said.

Still, other NOAA analysts have started trying to assign a value to how much greenhouse gases might be impacting temperatures.

In a report on the "Meteorological March Madness" of last month, the analysts noted that while most of the warmth should be attributed to random weather factors, greenhouse gases "likely contributed on the order of 5% to 10% of the magnitude of the heat wave during 12-23 March."

Moreover, they concluded, "the probability of heat waves is growing as GHG-induced warming continues to progress. But there is always the randomness."

Stu Ostro, a senior Weather Channel meteorologist, told msnbc.com that the bigger picture isn't promising.

"It's not only what happened in March in North America," he said, "it's the context: the extremity of this extraordinary early-season heat in the U.S. and southern Canada, plus Norway and Scotland breaking their March high temperature records; Texas and Oklahoma in 2011 having their hottest summer on record, even hotter than during the Dust Bowl; the off-the-charts 2010 Russia heat wave along with approximately 20 countries setting high temperature records that summer; and Canada having its warmest winter and year on record in 2010."

"All of this happening with such frequency," he added, "provides overwhelmingly convincing evidence that the overall increased warmth is making the atmosphere more conducive to these sorts of heat extremes."
Send PMSend Email
ALGOREismylife
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 12:48 PM
Quote Post

Super Moderator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 386

Not in my state. March was horrible. Snow and rain and cold most of the month.
Send PMSend EmailContact YIM
Wayne in WA State
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1466

QUOTE (ALGOREismylife @ Apr 11 2012, 09:48 AM)
Not in my state. March was horrible. Snow and rain and cold most of the month.

I know. Oregon and Washington were cold and wet in March.
Send PMSend Email
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Group: Members
Member No.: 455

what is odd is that everyone(including me) in the NY / NJ area has gotten sick
this year (and some say the weather is why).

the excessive heat leading to bad(since 2001) air, and who knows what has lead to one case after another of some sort of virus/flu bronchitis

the weather is going to kill us all, and as always, the stupid of the stupid deny there is anything going on. (Something definitely is).
Send PM
earthmother
Posted: Apr 11 2012, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 209

QUOTE (ReElectAlGore2016 @ Apr 12 2012, 02:03 AM)
what is odd is that everyone(including me) in the NY / NJ area has gotten sick
this year (and some say the weather is why).

[knock on wood] My family and I did NOT get sick this year.
Send PMSend EmailMembers Website
TNblue
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 11:34 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Member No.: 2326

Tennessee had the warmest March on record. It was in the 80s for about 3 weeks, or at least it seemed like it. The trees all leafed out early and it looks like late May, the bugs all came out early (before the birds came back to eat them) and my asparagus is already growing like crazy.

And Tennessee just passed a bill challenging evolution and global warming, er, an anti-science bill.

Hey, but we just reduced the tax on food. Thanks Governor Haslam. Atta boy!!

We're spiraling into hell. :bad:
Send PMSend Email
ALGOREismylife
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Super Moderator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 386

QUOTE (TNblue @ Apr 13 2012, 10:34 PM)
We're spiraling into hell. :bad:

The whole world is and December 21, 2012 is getting closer.
Send PMSend EmailContact YIM
Texan for Gore
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2253

QUOTE (TNblue @ Apr 13 2012, 10:34 PM)
Tennessee had the warmest March on record. It was in the 80s for about 3 weeks, or at least it seemed like it. The trees all leafed out early and it looks like late May, the bugs all came out early (before the birds came back to eat them) and my asparagus is already growing like crazy.

It was pretty warm here too, though we have been getting the needed rain that we so lacked last summer and I'm grateful for that. That aspaaugus comes back every year, doesn't it? That's good. Yeah, everything is starting to sprout here. Hopefully, this will be a good year for a vegetable garden.

:Y:
Send PMSend Email
TNblue
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 10:03 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Member No.: 2326

Yes! The asparagus comes back every year. It's the eeeeeziest thing to grow. About 15 or 16 years ago we ordered 3 year old roots from a magazine and have been growing from them ever since. They even transplanted well when we moved.

I'm glad you're getting rain this year, TFG. I do remember the drought in Texas last year.

Still...the annual average temperatures are trending upward. Not a good sign. A couple of years ago Nashville flooded. This year our spring rains are few and far between. When we do get rain it's tornadic with hail that has done lots of damage. Hope it's not another drought year for us. When that happened in 2007 Georgia wanted to annex part of Tennessee near Chattanooga just so they could get access to our water. - Nuts!

:wacko:
Send PMSend Email
Texan for Gore
Posted: Apr 14 2012, 10:41 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2253

Wow, 15 or 16 years for the asparagus? That is amazing. I may have to add some of that to my garden. It would certainly be a good investment. ;)

Thank you, TN. Yes, it was sooo dry here last year. And while we are having more rain this year, the overall trend everywhere is the chance of more droughts.

I also remember those floods occurring in Nashville. Sounds like it got pretty bad. I see Kansas and other midwest states may be in for some dangerous tornadoes tomorrow. Hope it won't be as bad as predicted. We have a high chance for hail tomorrow.

What is it going to take for people to start taking the climate issue seriously?
Send PMSend Email
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Domestic Issues | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Paid for and authorized by the Al Gore Support Center 2002-2005, Inc.
Please Read Our Disclaimer

A Stiles Design Creation 2005

Site Meter
Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive