Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Al Gore Support Center Online Forum 2008 :: A Reality Based Organization Fighting For Al Gore!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Supremes Won't Save GOP From Itself on Obamacare
JamesAquila
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 09:14 AM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Supremes Won't Save GOP From Itself on Obamacare

by David Frum

All or nothing.

That has been the dominant Republican approach to Obamacare from the start, and it is the dominant Republican approach today.

In Congress, this approach led to the result: "Nothing."

Now conservative challengers are hoping the Supreme Court will step in. And who knows? Maybe the justices are feeling bold. Maybe they are ready to expose themselves again to the fiercest partisan criticism since Bush v. Gore, or even fiercer.

I'm not a Court-watcher, and have no expertise to offer, but just going with my gut: I doubt it. Even though the Solicitor General reportedly choked today, that doesn't change the fact that the conservatives on the Court have spent most of their intellectual lives railing against judicial activism.

Here for example is Justice Antonin Scalia writing in dissent in the Virginia Military Institute case of 1996:

The virtue of a democratic system with a First Amendment is that it readily enables the people, over time, to be persuaded that what they took for granted is not so, and to change their laws accordingly. That system is destroyed if the smug assurances of each age are removed from the democratic process and written into the Constitution. So to counterbalance the Court's criticism of our ancestors, let me say a word in their praise: they left us free to change. The same cannot be said of this most illiberal Court, which has embarked on a course of inscribing one after another of the current preferences of the society (and in some cases only the counter-majoritarian preferences of the society's law-trained elite) into our Basic Law. Today it enshrines the notion that no substantial educational value is to be served by an all-men's military academy--so that the decision by the people of Virginia to maintain such an institution denies equal protection to women who cannot attend that institution but can attend others. Since it is entirely clear that the Constitution of the United States--the old one--takes no sides in this educational debate, I dissent.

If you have said over and over again, in writing, that you object to judges writing their policy preference into the Constitution, you have to wince a little at the invitation to write your own.

Especially when the principle on which you are invited to reverse yourself—the distinction between economic "activity" and "inactivity"—is likely to be the laugh of the law schools over the next 100 years.

My uninformed guess: the ACA prevails, and probably not by a narrow margin.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012...ourt-rules.html
Send PM
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Member No.: 455

I think yesterday the conserv scotus got their swings in, but down the road, I see a victory for Obama.

he roped the dopes again
Send PM
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 28 2012, 12:52 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

the more I hear/read about today's morning (Wednesday) goings on, I have to say it looks very, very favorable for Obama and the health care plan.

I think Tuesday was alot of get your diggs in, but today it seems like the real world
crept up and the ability of what to do IF this happens or that happens

more and more, wish I lived in France, were the care of the people is absolute.
Send PM
Wayne in WA State
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 01:02 AM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1466

I hope the court will not engage in an overtly political ruling that goes against their own precedent, but, I would not put it past them. I think it could go either way and we won't know until the decision is announced.

What I do know is that if the ACA is stuck down, it will be a disaster for the nation and for millions of Americans. This country is basically deadlocked and the system is rigged to make change extremely difficult. This WAS the best deal that could get 60 votes in the Senate. If they throw it out we'll have nothing and it will take at least a decade, maybe a generation to have this chance again.

I really hope they surprise me and uphold the law by a large margin.
Send PMSend Email
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 29 2012, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

we shall see
all we have now is spin

as all the media is against democrats, all we have is rightwing spin

but you would think these smart judges don't want spin to rule over them, at least a few of the smart judges

Send PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Domestic Issues | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Paid for and authorized by the © Al Gore Support Center 2002-2005, Inc.
Please Read Our Disclaimer

A Stiles Design Creation © 2005

Site Meter
Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive