InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Al Gore Support Center Online Forum 2008 :: A Reality Based Organization Fighting For Al Gore!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Martin Sheen Has Harsh Words For Progressives Crit
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Group: Members
Member No.: 455

Martin Sheen Has Harsh Words For Progressives Critical Of Obama

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03/07/ma..._n_1327360.html

During the Bush Era, "West Wing" President Jed Bartlet offered left-wingers a refuge from reality—much as Fox News does for conservatives today.

But Martin Sheen, who turned his late-career turn as Bartlet into his signature role, had already been a liberal icon for decades before the show, thanks to his political activism and his performances in counterculture classics such as"Apocalypse Now."

Today, however, Sheen finds himself frustrated with fellow progressives over their disappointment that Barack Obama’s real presidency hasn’t matched the heights of his imaginary one.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

“It’s unrealistic,” Sheen told The Huffington Post Canada in a backroom at Montreal’s Theatre St-Denis after speaking at Free the Children’s latest We Day youth rally. “I wonder how many of those progressives are black? How many of those progressives understand historically what happened?

“There’s one face in that crowd that night in Lincoln Park that was the expression of absolute miraculous reality when Barack Obama took the stage with his family as president-elect. Did you see that night when they showed Jesse Jackson?” he asked, mentioning the civil rights icon who spoke earlier at the same event. “I wonder how disappointed Jesse is with Barack Obama?”

Sheen dismissed the complaint from the left that Obama has failed to match the intense umbrage of his Republican opponents. “People say he ought to start getting mad and start yelling at these people,” Sheen said. “He didn’t get here by showing an angry man; this is a very important job. The whole world is watching every move, listening to nuance that he breathes in public.”

The actor pointed his finger squarely at Republicans for Obama's problems, arguing that they have been an unprecedentedly obstructionist congress, especially since the 2010 mid-term elections.

“It’s been fighting tooth and nail to get anything on the table with these morons,” Sheen groused, adding that the GOP is being directed by the Tea Party, which he called “the professional against-ers who are really to be identified as radical extremists who have no agenda and no purpose.”

As for the Republican candidates currently battling it out for the chance to challenge Obama in the general election -- a field which remains crowded after Rick Santorum claimed three states, Mitt Romney six and Newt Gingrich one on Super Tuesday -- Sheen isn't concerned.

“It does not shift the balance of reality. You can listen to any one of those four nominees talk about the [economic] situation and none of them is really in touch with what the hell people are facing, you know? They keep knocking the president, and yet they can’t find any fault with him regarding the specifics of the programs that he’s initiated in opposition to them.”

Despite the seemingly never-ending Republican primary, Sheen said he predicts Romney will wind up the ultimate nominee. But the actor said the former governor of Massachusetts will enter the general election hamstrung by what he’s had to say to compete in Tea Party-influenced primaries.

“Who the hell is going to be able to really believe anything Romney says when he stands next to someone who comes from a place and stands for it and risks his life to achieve it? You know, Obama rarely raises his voice, but he rises to every occasion

“Of course, he’s going to win. When he gets Romney one on one then you’ll see the quality of the man, where he comes from, what he stands for and where he wants to take us. Romney’s got a big wallet and a lot of campaign rhetoric, but what’s he going to stand on when he stands next to Obama and debates?”

Besides, Sheen said, progressives can also take heart that Occupy Wall Street has halted the rightward swing after the mid-terms and set Obama up to knock the pins down during the election.

“I cannot begin to tell you how encouraging and refreshing the Occupy Movement is to us old-timers, because it came about from a totally new, unconnected generation to us. It came of its own volition, dealing with its own issues. This message that, ‘we are divided in a lot of very fundamental ways. There’s the 1 percent and the 99.’ That is on the agenda now. That cannot be erased.

“It’s like you cannot un-ring the bell. They rang the bell on Wall Street, if you will, and that clang reverberated around the world.”

Send PM
Texan for Gore
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2253

And I am frustrated with people like Martin Sheen who don't "get it." And until they start getting it, it's probably just a waste of time explaining how our government has gone the way of a corporate-owned government that is willing to trample on the people's rights and squash the small businesses in favor of big biz and special interests.
Send PMSend Email
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

QUOTE (Texan for Gore @ Mar 11 2012, 04:17 PM)
And I am frustrated with people like Martin Sheen who don't "get it." And until they start getting it, it's probably just a waste of time explaining how our government has gone the way of a corporate-owned government that is willing to trample on the people's rights and squash the small businesses in favor of big biz and special interests.

nobody is taking your rights away behind your white picket fence in dadlandia, tx

you should spend more time converting Texas blue instead of worrying about no rights of yours being taken away

BTW-you obviously need to study up again, this time on Martin Sheen...
before you ignorantly telling him he don't get it.

Simply amazing.

Simply amazing.

Unbelievable.

btw, they are having a price markdown at Walmarts, you better run and grab it.

(said with 100% sarcasm dripping).
Send PM
Texan for Gore
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

How hypocritical and stereotypical, coming from the New Joisey one percenter, OWS disser. (No offense intended to you, EM, regarding New Jersey)

And maybe you need to educate yourself on civil rights or either you aren't paying attention to some of the laws being passed and rights being trampled on. I guess it's a case of it's okay when your side is doing it. <_<

I doubt that I could make much impact on turning Texas to a true democratic state - and by that, I mean having candidates that truly represent democratic principles.

And I don't idolize Martin Sheen. He can be frustrated all he wants. But he still must not get it if things like the NDAA don't bother him.

And thanks, but no thanks. Think I'll pass on Wal-Mart, but you help yourself. :tongue:
Send PMSend Email
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

QUOTE (Texan for Gore @ Mar 11 2012, 05:32 PM)
How hypocritical and stereotypical, coming from the New Joisey one percenter, OWS disser. (No offense intended to you, EM, regarding New Jersey)

And maybe you need to educate yourself on civil rights or either you aren't paying attention to some of the laws being passed and rights being trampled on. I guess it's a case of it's okay when your side is doing it. <_<

I doubt that I could make much impact on turning Texas to a true democratic state - and by that, I mean having candidates that truly represent democratic principles.

And I don't idolize Martin Sheen. He can be frustrated all he wants. But he still must not get it if things like the NDAA don't bother him.

And thanks, but no thanks. Think I'll pass on Wal-Mart, but you help yourself. :tongue:

yeah, go get your rights from Santorium or Mittens or Chris Christie or any of the other republicans, yeah, that's the ticket.

sure.
Send PM
Texan for Gore
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 10:33 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Clay, I'm sorry. Just because I don't approve of what Obama is doing doesn't mean I support republicans. But yeah, I know. According to you, there are only two sides. Well frankly, I don't like what EITHER side is doing. So maybe I should just choose none of the above, because I don't recognize the brand of democracy that is being sold to the highest bidder these days.

Again, remember indefinite detentions and torture under Bush and how despicable that was? Well, here Obama is taking it further in saying that a person can be detained indefinitely WITHOUT being CHARGED with ANYTHING. And that person can even be killed with no charges filed, no Judge, jury, etc. Obama has the authority to kill a "supposed" terrorist without even providing proof that hes/she is a terrorist. Talk about a dangerous recipe for disaster. Very chilling, if you ask me.

Maybe rather than saying Obama is the lesser of the two evils, he is just another version of evil. And most the democratic party in office go right along with the trampling of our rights.

If you want to vote for someone who has signed such an abomination into law, you go right ahead.
Send PMSend Email
Wayne in WA State
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 10:53 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1466

I think Martin Sheen "gets it". He's old enough, and has enough experience and perspective to put our current struggles into context. I also like what he has to say about the OWS movement.
Send PMSend Email
JamesAquila
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Member No.: 67

Thank you President Bartlet. :clap: :clap: :clap:

(Posted Image)
Send PM
JamesAquila
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Wayne in WA State @ Mar 11 2012, 10:53 PM)
I think Martin Sheen "gets it". He's old enough, and has enough experience and perspective to put our current struggles into context. I also like what he has to say about the OWS movement.

You're right Wayne, Sheen does get it. The problem is that too many on the left saw President Obama as the anti-Hillary and projected their own views on to him. Now their upset that he is not living up to their fantasy.
Send PM
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Yup.
I wish texan4gore would do some homework

Sheen has had himself arrested about 100 times in his life in political protests,
and it seems Caesar Chavez is the person most looked upon by Sheen as an example.

Sheen knows one has whats in front of him, and how the system works.

as an American citizen first and foremost and one who has walked the walk and talked the talk long before he was a superstar actor

again, texan all it would have taken is a quick read on his life, instead of a flippant answer
Send PM
Texan for Gore
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

QUOTE (Wayne in WA State @ Mar 11 2012, 09:53 PM)

Well, I don't dispute that he's old enough to "get it", Wayne. :D And I agree with what he's saying about republicans, but I don't hear any concern about laws being passed. No mention of NDAA, patriot act, questionable people being put in government people, etc. Sure, the republicans are a bad lot, and I agree with him that they don't have a leg to stand on when arguing about the economy. But Obama ran as the anti-establishment candidate and he has been anything but that. Having been a constitutional lawyer, I would have thought Obama would have more respect for the laws of the Constitution.

I do like what Sheen said about OWS. :good:
Send PMSend Email
Texan for Gore
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

QUOTE (ReElectAlGore2016 @ Mar 12 2012, 10:24 AM)
Yup.
I wish texan4gore would do some homework

Sheen has had himself arrested about 100 times in his life in political protests,
and it seems Caesar Chavez is the person most looked upon by Sheen as an example.

Sheen knows one has whats in front of him, and how the system works.

as an American citizen first and foremost and one who has walked the walk and talked the talk long before he was a superstar actor

again, texan all it would have taken is a quick read on his life, instead of a flippant answer

I am well aware that Sheen was once a political activist, Clay. Again, it just seems like he dismisses some of the important things going on. It amazes me how no one here seems concerned about the militarization of our police depts. or the NDAA. Speaking of the war of drugs which you posted and I agree with a lot of that, have you ever noticed how many things are labeled "the war on"? The war on terror, the war on drugs, etc. It's like trying to pit the country against it's people. I think we need to stop thinking of things in those terms.

I agree that the "war on drugs" have been very harmful for black America. It is heartbreaking to see many people affected by this as I recall a young black woman in my office just a week ago and she wanted to get drug treatment, but now they are wanting to place her 12 year old son on probation for a vandalism incident and give him over $1300 to pay. She was in tears, saying she could barely take care of herself right now. It was just terrible. I'll discuss more of this at the other thread.
Send PMSend Email
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The Democratic Party: Looking Ahead to 2012 | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Paid for and authorized by the © Al Gore Support Center 2002-2005, Inc.
Please Read Our Disclaimer

A Stiles Design Creation © 2005

Site Meter
Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive