Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Al Gore Support Center Online Forum 2008 :: A Reality Based Organization Fighting For Al Gore!. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

So, what does everybody think of, Rush Limbaugh?
Texan for Gore
Posted: Mar 5 2012, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2253

Is he scum or what? Of course, the level he stoops to doesn't really surprise me, but maybe he's finally pushed it to the limit. It'd be great if he got canned. :D But I'm not going to hold my breath.
Send PMSend Email
earthmother
Posted: Mar 5 2012, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 209

I won't even waste my breath on it. There are no words . . .
Send PMSend EmailMembers Website
Wayne in WA State
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 01:20 AM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1466

His words were no mistake. That's how this bloviating gas-bag actually feels toward women. Not to mention anyone who isn't in his angry old white guy club.

The good news is that finally more people may be seeing him for who he is.

:bad:
Send PMSend Email
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 02:25 AM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Group: Members
Member No.: 455

the sad thing is, the people Rush speaks to and for think women should never have left the kitchen & bedroom, and work for and are beneath men.
In their world, woman should never have gotten the vote, like all other groups/minorities that are not those who listen to Rush

the wacko brigade.

and yet no republican repudiates Rush. Shows you what cowards all of them are.

That advertisers FINALLY are seeing the light means finally they are being hurt in the pocket.

How any self-respecting woman could vote republican is beyond me.
Send PM
JamesAquila
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Member No.: 67

Great column on this:

Are we being fair to Rush Limbaugh? by David Frum

As advertisers quit the Rush Limbaugh radio program -- and as Republican politicians squirm uncomfortably -- the broadcaster's fans are complaining about double standards.

It's a question that will be aired often in the week ahead. Here's the answer, in four points.

Point 1: Even by the rough standards of cable/talk radio/digital talk, Limbaugh's verbal abuse of Sandra Fluke set a new kind of low. I can't recall anything as brutal, ugly and deliberate ever being said by such a prominent person and so emphatically repeated.

Point 2: The cases that conservatives cite as somehow equivalent to Limbaugh's tirade against Fluke by and large did bring consequences for their authors.

Point 3: Limbaugh's place in American public life is in no way comparable to that of David Letterman, Bill Maher or Ed Schultz.

Point 4: Most fundamentally, why the impulse to counter one outrageous stunt by rummaging through the archives in search of some supposedly offsetting outrageous stunt? Why not respond to an indecent act on its own terms, and then -- if there's another indecency later -- react to that too, and on its own terms?

Send PM
Wayne in WA State
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1466

By Eugene Robinson
The Washington Post

WASHINGTON - How's this for political cowardice? Right-wing bloviator Rush Limbaugh launches a vile attack, full of sexual insults and smarmy innuendo, against a young woman whose only offense was to speak her mind. Asked to comment, the leading Republican presidential candidates - who bray constantly about "courage" and "leadership" - run from the bully and hide.

"I'll just say this, which is, it's not the language I would have used," said Mitt Romney. I wonder what language Romney thinks Limbaugh should have used to call Georgetown University law student Sandra Fluke a "slut" and a "prostitute."

"He's being absurd, but that's, you know, an entertainer can be absurd," said Rick Santorum. I doubt seriously that Fluke found it entertaining, in an absurdist kind of way, when Limbaugh creepily suggested she and other women post sex videos on the Internet. I hope and trust that Santorum wasn't entertained, either.

As for Newt Gingrich, the cat got his tongue, and apparently didn't return it until Limbaugh had already apologized to Fluke for his "insulting word choices." Gingrich went out on a limb Sunday and called Limbaugh's apology "appropriate."

Which it wasn't, by the way. Limbaugh's claim that "I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke" is an obvious lie; there's no impersonal way to call a woman a slut. His abuse of Fluke -- who advocated publicly last week that the health insurance she receives through Georgetown, a Catholic university, should be required to cover birth control -- was no one-time gaffe. He poured it on, day after day.

And when he decided to back down, Limbaugh apologized only for his choice of words -- not for the bitter misogyny he now believes he should have cloaked in prettier language.

Of the GOP candidates, only Ron Paul seemed to notice the insincerity of Limbaugh's regret. "I don't think he's very apologetic," Paul said. "He's doing it because some people were taking their advertisements off his program. It was his bottom line he's concerned about."

Why will Paul say the obvious while Romney, Santorum and Gingrich are barely willing to clear their throats? Because Paul, who is in this campaign to spread the gospels of libertarianism and Austrian economics, knows he can't win the Republican nomination. The others, who think they do have a chance to win, are afraid of making Limbaugh into an enemy -- or, in Romney's case, into more of an enemy than he already is.

So let's get this straight: These guys want us to believe they're ready to face down Vladimir Putin, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Kim Jong Eun, the Taliban and what's left of al-Qaeda. Yet they're so scared of a talk-radio buffoon that they ignore or excuse an eruption of venom that some of Limbaugh's advertisers -- eight, at last count, have said they would no longer sponsor the show -- find inexcusable.

I would have thought that crass political calculation might lead the would-be GOP nominees to the correct position on Limbaugh's rhetorical depravity. Women constitute a majority of voters. If they merely lean toward the Democrats this fall, as they usually do, Republicans still have a mathematical chance to win the presidency by racking up a big majority among men. But if the GOP is perceived to endorse Limbaugh's hateful rhetoric about "feminazis" and his stance of male grievance, female voters could turn what looked like a winnable election for Republicans into a debacle.

But Romney, Santorum and Gingrich are so frightened of being labeled insufficiently conservative - in this context, meaning "not nice enough to Rush" -- that when given the opportunity to show some backbone, they go all wobbly.

What does this say about these men? To me, it suggests that maybe Romney isn't as smart and disciplined as he's said to be. Maybe Santorum isn't as sincere, compassionate or moralistic as he appears. Maybe Gingrich's vaunted intellectual courage is afraid of its own shadow.

As it happens, President Obama called Fluke last week to express his support. Perhaps, as a father, he imagined how he would feel if one of his own daughters were attacked so viciously. Perhaps, as a canny politician, he saw the benefit of denouncing Limbaugh's caustic caterwauling.

Either way, Republicans spent yet another week talking about contraception. Casey Stengel once said that "most ballgames are lost, not won." He could have been talking about elections.

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles/2012/...wmode=fullstory
Send PMSend Email
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

more than 20 companies and country have stopped advertising at least temporarily on Rush

may they never go back

Said a long time ago, when the ratings fall, unless they are a vanity company they will no longer be on the air.

and people are stopping being afraid of Rush and Murdoch himself has his own problems.

Send PM
earthmother
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 10:30 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Howard Stern went through a similar type of thing and survived. I don't think this is going to damage Limbaugh in the long run.
Texan for Gore
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 10:37 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2253

It's really incredible that the republican candidates can't seem to muster up any condemnation of Rush's despicable verbal attack on Fluke. I mean, what does that really say about their sense of decency or their lack thereof when all they can comment on is the choice of language or justify it as absurd entertainment or to say that the supposed "apology" was appropriate??? No denouncing the attack and insults at all. It just sounds like they are condoning or making excuses for Rush.

There is no comparison between Rush, Letterman, Maher and Schultz For one thing, entertainers such as Letterman and Maher make comments more in jest and jokingly, with no malicious intent behind the comments. Rush was dead serious and full of vitriol and sick perversion for Ms. Fluke. Even when Letterman made joking comments about Palin and her daughter that time, he did issue a sincere and regretful apology. I'm not sure what it was that Rush issued, but it certainly wasn't an apology because he's not sorry about the insults. He's just sorry he's taking heat for it. May the advertisers continue to drop like flies. Hopefully, more people are opening their eyes to realize just how hateful he really is.
Send PMSend Email
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

Howard Stern though has 50 times the ratings, and in actuality was tossed off the regular airwaves into pay-radio (which has different rules).

There has been a question brewing for a long time about how many people actually listen to Rush, and he is the only one throwing around the 20-25 million number.

What's that guy from current? (with the initials C.U., just yesterday had an article about it and made a bet saying Rush could not prove those listerners actually exist.

While Rush could last a long time on NY radio, he might be driven from major parts of the country where in reality there are more red state people.(next he will attempt to make himself the victim).

But unlike Stern, Rush is solely political talk radio, not a rock and roll type disk jockey.
Send PM
ReElectAlGore2016
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

GSC Patriot

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/current-tvs-cen...e-your-ratings/

Conservative radio giant Rush Limbaugh has always enjoyed a certain immunity to public pressure because of his total dominance of talk radio, but this past weekend, he felt compelled to issue a walletfelt apology for a sustained three-day verbal assault on Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke that included calling her a “slut” and a “prostitute,” and demanding sex tapes for his own personal use.

The Young Turks‘ Cenk Uygur sees the apology not just as a response to advertiser pullouts, but as an indication that Limbaugh’s ratings are actually a lot weaker than people realize. He issued a $10,000 challenge for Limbaugh to prove his self-proclaimed 20 million listeners.

While people with functioning brains are doubting the sincerity of Limbaugh’s apology, most seem to be missing the significance of it. As far as I can tell, Limbaugh has only apologized two other times, and not in response to public pressure.

During the 2008 presidential campaign, Limbaugh apologized to then-Sen. Barack Obama for laughing at a caller who told him that Sen. Obama reminded her daughter of Curious George. Limbaugh apologized right after the commercial break that followed the call, saying he “never heard of Curious George until that caller.”

The other was when he apologized to me, for completely misreading a piece of commentary that I had written, and still managed to screw up during his apology.

Limbaugh’s usual response to public pressure is to double down, as he did (twice) with Sandra Fluke. In January of last year, for example, Limbaugh was pressured to apologize for mocking the speech of Chinese President Hu Jintao, and responded by sarcastically noting that “those were comments, and they were mocking and insulting, and 3,000 years of Chinese history blown up yesterday in 18 seconds right here on the EIB Network.”

But as Cenk Uygur points out, the 20 million listener figure that Limbaugh has been touting for years has never been supported by a shred of data, and even the notoriously shaky radio industry estimates are now in doubt. The more popularly-used estimates for Limbaugh’s audience is around 15 million weekly listeners, or around 3.5 million a day. But those figures were based on an antiquated diary system. As Uygur explains, when the radio industry switched to a less-fallible system, a lot of radio people got some bad news:

Then in 2007, radio started switching over to something called Portable People Meters. This did not rely on human memory. It’s a device that picks up the radio signal wherever you are and records the station you’re actually listening to. So, what happened? It turns out people were listening to a lot more music than they realized and a lot less talk. So, the sports stations, the hot talk and the conservative talk stations were all hurt.

Last year, Crain’s New York Business reported that Rush Limbaugh’s ratings were down 33%. The portable people meters have been expanding to different markets throughout these years (they didn’t just replace all of the diaries instantly in 2007, it’s taken a while). So, it’s unclear how much Rush was hurt by the more accurate readings last year and how much people just stopped listening to him.

Cenk concludes that “Rush is in big trouble now as more and more advertisers peel off. He’s in a tail spin. Why else would you triple down on the “slut” comments from Wednesday to Friday and then issue an apology on Saturday? He has over-reached (in his offensive comments) and undelivered (in his ratings). That’s a lethal combo.”

“So,” Uygur continues, “I’m issuing a challenge to him – show us your ratings. He won’t do it because he’s embarrassed by them. He has never produced evidence of his ratings and he certainly won’t do it now. In fact, I’ll make a Mitt Romney like wager. I’ll give him $10,000 if he can show us his 20 million listeners.”

To be fair, while reporting on radio ratings is notoriously sketchy (as are the ratings themselves), most every radio industry type agrees that Limbaugh has the largest audience, far and away. However, whatever the true weekly audience figure is, you’ve got to remember that Limbaugh also has a huge lead in the number of stations he’s carried on (a product of his syndicator’s early adoption of the barter system), over a thousand, so even if he averages 3.5 million listeners a day, that’s only an average of about 3,500 listeners per station. That’s enough to make him the number one talk radio host in the country, but is is enough to get stations to overlook fleeing advertisers?

Throughout his years as radio’s most successful lightning rod, there has always been a sense that Rush Limbaugh is too big to fail. As pressure mounts from advertisers and others, time will tell that tale, even if Rush Limbaugh won’t.

Send PM
earthmother
Posted: Mar 6 2012, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

GSC Enforcer
Group Icon

Too big to fail? That's his problem. He needs a serious slice of humble pie, like all bullies. I'd love nothing more than to see the worm squirm.
ALGOREismylife
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Super Moderator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 386

QUOTE (Texan for Gore @ Mar 5 2012, 01:50 PM)
Is he scum or what?  Of course, the level he stoops to doesn't really surprise me, but maybe he's finally pushed it to the limit.  It'd be great if he got canned.  :D  But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Rush LimBARF is one of the most despicable poor excuses for a human being alive. :angry:

One of the most racist bigoted pigs around and he got rich being one. That really is a disgrace. Pop some more pills LimBARF.:bad:
Send PMSend EmailContact YIM
ALGOREismylife
Posted: Mar 7 2012, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Super Moderator
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 386

QUOTE (earthmother @ Mar 6 2012, 09:30 PM)
Howard Stern went through a similar type of thing and survived.  I don't think this is going to damage Limbaugh in the long run.

Atleast Howard Stern disliked Bush and made me laugh like hell. :lol:
Send PMSend EmailContact YIM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The Political Roundtable | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options Add ReplyCreate New TopicCreate New Poll

Paid for and authorized by the © Al Gore Support Center 2002-2005, Inc.
Please Read Our Disclaimer

A Stiles Design Creation © 2005

Site Meter
Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive